The Old Blue - what did you think of it?

Air your views regarding the CH Old Blues' Association, what it's delivering and what it should/could deliver. A chance to get your voice heard on what you'd like from YOUR Association...

Moderator: Moderators

What did you think of the new style "Old Blue" magazine?

Excellent
52%
Good
40%
OK
4%
Poor
4%

Total votes: 25

UserRemovedAccount
GE (Great Erasmus)

THE OLD BLUE

Post by UserRemovedAccount »

On page 30 of The Old Blue is a crossword puzzle designated "159 Puzzle."
We are a bit cut-off from the high-life down here in Devon, so can anybody please explain the significance of "159"?
:? Thanks,
Ruthie-Baby(old a/c)
Button Grecian

Post by Ruthie-Baby(old a/c) »

jhopgood wrote:One way to broaden the interest level would be to have a female editor or assistant editor.
Any volunteers?
As a contributor, I feel my opinion is somewhat biased, but I thought it was great. Matching the Blue was good, my only suggestion is that they both become A4 size - can't remember which but one's bigger. Doesn't fit on the shelf. Oh and I guess the OB is too thin for the title on the spine like the Blue?

Might consider doing some kind of editory role if someone gives me a clue as to how much work I'd be taking on...
Ruth Tyrrell
Col B 90-97
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

John Hopgood's the man - sure he can give you idea of the time involved.....

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

Ruthie-Baby wrote:
jhopgood wrote:One way to broaden the interest level would be to have a female editor or assistant editor.
Any volunteers?
As a contributor, I feel my opinion is somewhat biased, but I thought it was great. Matching the Blue was good, my only suggestion is that they both become A4 size - can't remember which but one's bigger. Doesn't fit on the shelf. Oh and I guess the OB is too thin for the title on the spine like the Blue?

Might consider doing some kind of editory role if someone gives me a clue as to how much work I'd be taking on...
The Blue is the larger size (241 x 297) magazine and is a popular size for this type of magazine. (So I'm told)
However, the envelope is not standard so we stuck to the A4 size to keep the overall cost down. We send out over 6,000, slightly more than the Blue, so cost is a consideration, boring but pragmatic.
Hadn't thought of the name on the spine since the cover style was a last minute change. Thanks for the idea.
I'll pm people mad enough to offer help.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
Ruthie-Baby(old a/c)
Button Grecian

Not so popular with me, it seems...!

We've been used to the much smaller than A4 size Blue for years, actually as far back as the archive in the museum goes, bar a few years (I used to hang out there when at CH sometimes).
Ruth Tyrrell
Col B 90-97
UserRemovedAccount
GE (Great Erasmus)

SIZE OF THE BLUE

Post by UserRemovedAccount »

It seems a pity that the school editor and the Old Blue editor cannot agree on a common size for the Blue and Old Blue. However, I strongly support John Hogpood on the benefits of a standard size, since stationery and postage costs are very significant when you have a distirbutions in the many thousands.

As a writer myself, I have asked several publishers how they decide on the size of their books, since library shelves and bookshops are full of books and magazines in an almost infinite variety of sizes. The answer is that it is done by guess and by God - in other words, it is almost purely arbitrary and depends on how they feel, what side of the bed they got out of, and so on. On the other hand, John has obviously done a careful analysis and has costed it out carefully before deciding on a standard A4 format. I doubt very much that the editor of the Blue has arrived at the size of his publication other than by purely subjective factors.

The other point raised is simply on the question of a larger format, compared to the traditional "Blue." The larger format enables more, larger and clear illustrations to be carried, layout to be better and, most importantly for the older readers such as this one, a larger font which is much easier to read.

I support our editor on this one.
Ruthie-Baby(old a/c)
Button Grecian

So all we need to do is ask the Blue editor why it's bigger than A4 and if it can't go to A4 size
Ruth Tyrrell
Col B 90-97
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

Ruthie-Baby wrote:So all we need to do is ask the Blue editor why it's bigger than A4 and if it can't go to A4 size
Ian is a member of this forum and I am sure will give a coherent reply.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
westguncopse
2nd Former

Post by westguncopse »

We chose the larger size because we were impressed by another school magazine that had gone down this route. The price is the same, so far as printing is concerned, although we do have higher distribution costs. Our magazine is also given out to most people, i.e. Parents, Pupils, Staff etc.

What pleases me most is the fact that the school now has two publications which are superior to all those other school magazines that I looked through recently. The Old Blue was excellent and I hope that costs will allow this quality to continue.

One thing I would suggest is corporate sponsorship. I wrote to a number of our city contacts and ended up with over a £2000 in sponsorship. The Old Blue has a greater distribution so they would probably pay you as much too, if not more.
Ruthie-Baby(old a/c)
Button Grecian

They are both gorgeous magazines. Thank you both for making them what they are. It would be good if they were the same size, but otherwise no complaints. [If you read my other postings you will find that I am the master of complaints so that's a massive compliment!] If you want any help with leg-work, boring stuff or anything, drop me a line, I might be able to help.
Ruth Tyrrell
Col B 90-97
Ruthie-Baby(old a/c)
Button Grecian

Re: THE OLD BLUE

petard249 wrote:On page 30 of The Old Blue is a crossword puzzle designated "159 Puzzle."
We are a bit cut-off from the high-life down here in Devon, so can anybody please explain the significance of "159"?
:? Thanks,
I wondered that too...?
Ruth Tyrrell
Col B 90-97
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I have no idea either...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

Have you worked out the answers to 1, 5 and 9 across?
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
Ruthie-Baby(old a/c)
Button Grecian

jhopgood wrote:Have you worked out the answers to 1, 5 and 9 across?
Obviously not!
Ruth Tyrrell
Col B 90-97
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

I am sadly lacking here - I am an OB , but really a CHOGA - so am very confused by magazine etc.... Have they like the schools combined together or is CHOGA still running? (If so I had better let whoever is in charge know I am still alive and that I have been here for nearly 8 years... and haven't had a CHOGA for about that time.). It used to contain missing persons, obituaries, who is doing what and where and a few adverts - which isn't really much after seeing the Millfield Mag arrive for my son - it was larger than A4, had a spine like a book must have cost a bomb - but I know about these things as I was a director of a charity that sent out a magazine quarterly - we got as much of it paid by advertising as possible - there are companies you can contact who will pass on adverts etc and all that helps towards producing what was balck and white to colour and shiny pages!
Don't know if that helps any - but I'm up for reviews/proof reading etc... anything else computer based, as I'm medically retired and only 42! and my brain is whizzing around like a bunch of hamsters in roller balls all colliding and sparking off other ideas....

I'll go away now and let you all recover!
:oops: :oops: :oops:
Last edited by Jude on Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jude Comber (nee Kelynack) 5's 5.38 1975-1980 Herts.
To Learn - read, to Know - write, to MASTER - Teach