CHA - WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO US AND US TO IT?

Air your views regarding the CH Old Blues' Association, what it's delivering and what it should/could deliver. A chance to get your voice heard on what you'd like from YOUR Association...

Moderator: Moderators

Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

Well said, Jude - and I must say that this Forum ( albeit unofficial) is far more dynamic than the CHA ever appeared to be , despite the excellent work of Sarah Voice.

Maybe we should proselytise a bit more ? With the wide selection of both ages, professions and locations, we should be able to turn this into a real Club for OBs... it's already well on the way there anyway !
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I have to say that the CHA has been far more dynamic and reached many more Old Blues than the Club did - i would give the CHA a chance to make a mark and recover from these setbacks.
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

returning to the pregnant pause earlier in the thread -

JR AND RR both have soft spots in my heart - they have made me laugh on days when I would have cried - as have many of you. It bodes well that we "oldies" actually having seen the world with all it's warts can come back and still maintain some quiet dignity about so many things. This may be my last entry however, as I have felt somewhat hurt and severely annoyed by an Ob of about 2 years.... those who follow most of the threads will see his words - and sadly my rather angry and no doubt about to be censored reaction to him.. So angry and hurt that I feel I had better remove myself for a while.
Jude Comber (nee Kelynack) 5's 5.38 1975-1980 Herts.
To Learn - read, to Know - write, to MASTER - Teach
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Jude wrote:returning to the pregnant pause earlier in the thread -

JR AND RR both have soft spots in my heart - they have made me laugh on days when I would have cried - as have many of you. It bodes well that we "oldies" actually having seen the world with all it's warts can come back and still maintain some quiet dignity about so many things. This may be my last entry however, as I have felt somewhat hurt and severely annoyed by an Ob of about 2 years.... those who follow most of the threads will see his words - and sadly my rather angry and no doubt about to be censored reaction to him.. So angry and hurt that I feel I had better remove myself for a while.
Jude,

As I said on the other thread don't allow your upset to stop you from posting.

I for one would miss you.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Mid A 15 wrote:Jude,

You're not the only one. I would also miss her a lot.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

Katharine wrote:
Mid A 15 wrote:Jude,

You're not the only one. I would also miss her a lot.
So would I
Maggie
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
UserRemovedAccount
GE (Great Erasmus)

THE CH CLUB

Post by UserRemovedAccount »

A lot of people refer to the CH Club as if it was a failure; for example, a recent entry on this forum says:
sejintenej wrote:Surely this is a new body - the successor to a body which nearly (if not actually) failed.
This is extremely unfair; I want to explain why and I hope that the critics will have the decency to read what I have to say.

Two years before it disbanded the CH Club had just under 5,000 subscribing members, figures which 99 percent of other old pupils organisations around the country with subscribing members were extremely jealous of. The CH Club had just over £300,000 in the bank, returned an operating surplus every year, presented at least one pupil to the school, published the Blue and helped the school fund the production costs for their part of The Blue. It also regualrly gave money to the school for various activities (eg, supporting the South African tour), and organised and paid for Old Blues days, etc. It also paid for one full time administrator, Wendy. I would be very interested to know how that can be defined as "failure."

It is said of the Club that it did not fully engage younger members. This may be correct, but it is true of virtually every other old pupils club in the country. It is an inescapable fact that the great majority of old pupils go through university and then have to find their way through about twenty years of working intensely hard at their career, repaying loans, building up capital, starting and raising a family, seeing their children through school, gaining professional qualifications, and so on. It is, therefore, hardly surprising that they do not have very much time to spare for their old school. There are, of course, individual and very honourable exceptions, but not many. There are also some post-school clubs, such as the CHRFC, which not only provide a sporting focus but also foster an "old school" ethos, but not many join them. Thus, it is simply a fact of life - what the Americans would call a "given" - that the great majority of Old Blues will not, indeed are not able to re-engage with CH until their late 40s/early 50s when at last they have a little spare time, energy and money. I consulted a number of other old pupils clubs about 3 years ago and all have exactly the same experience.

Clubs also depend on those who are prepared to give their time and effort to organise and run things. The last secretary of the CH Club served for about ten years; he enjoyed doing it, but I am sure that he would have been only too delighted to stand aside from what was a very onerous task, had someone offered to take over, but nobody did. Paddie Drake serrved as editor of The Blue for many years. He appealled regularly for a replacement but, until John Hopgood stepped forward, he asked in vain. That was despite the fact that he suffered a series of family disasters (I know the details but see no reason to advertise them) and was himself suffering from the cancer which led inexorably to his death. Despite all that he remained cheerfull and produced the Old Blue section of The Blue on time every time, and oversaw the introduction of new technology.

The posts of the Club officers, such as chairman, secretary, treasurer, magazine editor, and events organisers, are very demanding. They require regular attendance at committee meetings, attendance at major events, evening/weekend work on their task, and probably one or two other visits each year on tasks specific to their office. Even for a committee member without a particular office it is necessary that he/she attends the committee meetings and the events. Without volunteers these posts will not be filled and the club will collapse.

I know that a succession of Club chairmen/women struggled to make the Club more attractive to younger Old Blues. They set up working parties, engaged consultants, studied US-style alumni associations - you name it, they tried it. Old Blues Day 2003 was a great success; some 400 turned up, there was a full programme of events, even including a flypast by the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight. But, although there were some younger old Blues present, the average age was still probably in the late 40s/early 50s.

Oh yes, and I should add that the CH Club was democratic, with every member having a vote. There was an annual general meeting and all posts except for the Administrator were filled by election. The accounts were rigorously maintained, audited annually and the audit published for all to read and comment on if they wished. The AGMs were always very lively until the chairman asked for volunteers to join the committee, when there was always a long silence and a shuffling of feet, and if someone did volunteer they were immediately voted in by acclamation.

Some are saying now that "if only the Club could have set up something like this Forum." Maybe so, but the fact is that the technology to do so has only recently become available and the great majority of people have only recently acquired the equipment and expertise to take part. Returning to my "volunteers" theme, I would point out that the Forum depends utterly on two people and if either of them were to withdraw it would probably collapse. The Forum is, however, not really an offspring of the CHA (which offers vocal support only) but has been created by two individuals and could equally well have been an offspring of the CH Club (which would, in all probability, have been delighted to support it financially, as well).

I am not knocking the CHA and people are, of course, perfectly entitled to say that the Club was a failure, if that is what they feel, but I suggest that a detailed examination of the Club's record, as outlined above, will show that it was a far, far greater success than it was ever given credit for. I would also suggest that the handfull of volunteers who gave freely of their time, energy and money to run it deserve much greater credit than they have received so far.
Jude
Button Grecian

Volunteers

Post by Jude »

Wow David- if it took me that long to read - how long did it take you to write?
Having been on several committees of charities, and Director of ones as well I can feel very much what you are saying - but sadly for all the members in the world, it is always the same dozen or so who do the wrok, time in and time out.

I feel I was lucky as I had my children when I was young, and it has meant that I now have a life (?? hmm will ponder on that) now in my early to mid 40's - where many folks are just getting the child thing together and have massive debts and are working all hours. That said, I did it alone, went to Uni in my 30's and basically did everything upside down.. It means now though I am the typical person that would do the charity thing - and I would and do and will - but I can't travel to Horsham 4 times a year, I can't keep up with what goes on half the time in here, so don't have much chance out there! So perhaps that is why there is a lack of volunteers - the distance after all we all came from around the country, and most have moved away (haven't they???) - so maybe the way of volunteering should change to meet the diversity of the members - As I have said in other threads I am happy to take on editing, proof reading, putting a CH recipe book together - as long as it is wanted, useful and needed - I have no income but I have time. Although much of it sometimes is taken up with being unwell, there are times when I really would like to get my teeth into.

That in mind - how about 5 of us offer to put forwards some written piece for the OB/CHA/CHOB/CHOGA or whatever it is/maybe called - would that help?

The only thing I really plead with you not to send me are numbers..... I ran my own company for 5 years and an IT industry for a further 3 - and numbers give me nightmares!
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Re: THE CH CLUB

Post by Mid A 15 »

petard249 wrote:[quote removed to save space - see Petard249's post above - JT].
It is wrong to call the CH Club a failure as David has explained. The problem, as with so many clubs and committees, is communicating to a largely apathetic or half interested membership which will only give feedback in the most cataclysmic circumstances and sometimes not even then! Human nature seems to be to think the worst hence the unjustified branding of the CH Club as a failure.

That said I am only qualified to relate my own experiences of the CH Club. In the mid late seventies lunches were advertised in The Blue at 26 Great Tower Street in the City of London. I was working in the City at that time and with another Old Blue of similar age tried on a few occasions to lunch at Great Tower Street as we had both joined the CH Club shortly after leaving school.

Each time the place was completely deserted other than Basil Etherton whom I believe was club secretary at the time and a pleasant enough chap.

In other words, despite The Blue contents, no food, no drink and one other person.

As money was tight I allowed my membership of what I perceived to be a non-existent club to lapse and did not "return to the fold" for 20 years or so when "Who's Blue" was published.

I get the impression not much changed from the comments of others regarding encouraging active membership in the intervening 30 years or so.

Whatever guise the CHA, CH Club etc takes engaging young members is essential and the YOB initiatives are a giant step in the right direction.

I think a combination of the unheralded good points of the old CH Club, as outlined so well by David, combined with engaging the younger element will bode well for the future of all concerned.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Mid A 15 wrote:It is wrong to call the CH Club a failure as David has explained.

Firstly, it was I (as if you didn't realise) who used the word "failed" but only in the context that it no longer operates.

The problem, as with so many clubs and committees, is communicating to a largely apathetic or half interested membership which will only give feedback in the most cataclysmic circumstances and sometimes not even then! Human nature seems to be to think the worst hence the unjustified branding of the CH Club as a failure.
As (ex) Hon Sec of a City of London profesional organisation I know exactly and from bitter experience what Mid A 15 is saying; been there done that, etc.
I was not specifically denigrating the actions of the CHA - as an Old Blue I never knew anything about its existance / actions. Take that statement how you will, but see the next para

Mid A 15 wrote:That said I am only qualified to relate my own experiences of the CH Club. In the mid late seventies lunches were advertised in The Blue at 26 Great Tower Street in the City of London. I was working in the City at that time and with another Old Blue of similar age tried on a few occasions to lunch at Great Tower Street as we had both joined the CH Club shortly after leaving school.

Each time the place was completely deserted other than Basil Etherton whom I believe was club secretary at the time and a pleasant enough chap.

In other words, despite The Blue contents, no food, no drink and one other person.

As money was tight I allowed my membership of what I perceived to be a non-existent club to lapse and did not "return to the fold" for 20 years or so when "Who's Blue" was published.
Same here; same place except there were a few old fogies and I didn't have another OB to go with. Basil Etherton? I didn't get so far as extracting names out of stones
Mid A 15 wrote:I get the impression not much changed from the comments of others regarding encouraging active membership in the intervening 30 years or so.

Whatever guise the CHA, CH Club etc takes engaging young members is essential and the YOB initiatives are a giant step in the right direction.

I think a combination of the unheralded good points of the old CH Club, as outlined so well by David, combined with engaging the younger element will bode well for the future of all concerned.
Maybe out of order but I did approach a few OB organisationslong ago - even went physically to the OBRC when they were in Hainault - uniform disinterest in an outsider entering their little cliques. Once, twice .... bitten, now shy
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

sejintenej wrote:Firstly, it was I (as if you didn't realise) who used the word "failed" but only in the context that it no longer operates.
Just to clarify that quote is from sejintenej not me!

It somehow got included in my quote.

Otherwise I agree pretty well.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Mid A 15 wrote:
sejintenej wrote:Firstly, it was I (as if you didn't realise) who used the word "failed" but only in the context that it no longer operates.
Just to clarify that quote is from sejintenej not me!

It somehow got included in my quote.

Otherwise I agree pretty well.
and I agree with the clarificfation / wrist slap, call it what you will. My only excuse is that I was editing edit marks and clearly got it as wrong as everything else.
. However, I am puzzled; the header page says that I am the only one here so how did you post so quickly?
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

Euterpe13 wrote:Well said, Jude - and I must say that this Forum ( albeit unofficial) is far more dynamic than the CHA ever appeared to be , despite the excellent work of Sarah Voice.
I would also say that the CHA is still in the early days of it's existence. Sara was only in post for ?6 months, and achieved huge amounts in that time. To setup and start a new organisation, establish a web presence which is dynamic and changing, and to launch a new magazine (The Old Blue) in it's own right, was quite an achievement (albeit supported by the Advisory Board)
What we're trying to do at the moment is ensure we don't lose momentum now, with the absence of a Manager and currently a Chairman of the Advisory Board...

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

but the problem is that If the Governers have not settled a budget beyond 2007, and that contracts are for +/- 12 months, you are not going to get the dedication that is needed in this area.

I know only too well the starting up of a company, getting it seen, broadcasting an event etc. and many times it is but the faithful friends that come with you to assist.

Part of the problem also is the location. Horsham isn't exactly the easiest place to get to - Ok I know it has a station, but it's close to that linnear car park called M25, and if someone young and dynamic could afford to get there -what about housing? It's very expensive - sorry if I sound so negative - but I would love to help - but it is too far away and has no stability in my eyes.
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Jude wrote:Horsham isn't exactly the easiest place to get to.....
Depends where you're starting from - I don't find it too much of a problem! :wink:

Seriously, though, Horsham is only 55-60 minutes from London by train. A couple of thousand people do this journey every day, either to work in London or to work here in places like Sun Alliance.

Housing is expensive, though.
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?