BAND AND OLD BLUES DAY

Air your views regarding the CH Old Blues' Association, what it's delivering and what it should/could deliver. A chance to get your voice heard on what you'd like from YOUR Association...

Moderator: Moderators

Is this a good idea?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:23 pm

YES
90%
NO
10%

Total votes: 10

UserRemovedAccount
GE (Great Erasmus)

BAND AND OLD BLUES DAY

Post by UserRemovedAccount »

How about this for a thought?
Old Blues Day 2003 was combined with the Sir Barnes Wallis /RAF Foundation 50th anniversary and proved very successfull and this has given rise to an idea for another "themed" Old Blues Day. How about making some OB day in the near future a combined OB Day and Band reunion? But, to give the event more spice, I suggest that the former Bandeers (is there such a word?) would be set the challenge of producing a proper marching band to perform at (say) 4pm in the afternoon. The timetable might run as follows:
10-11am Former bandeers assemble and conduct auditions supervised by the Bandmaster and members of current band.
11am-1230pm. Individual practice, supervised by Bandmaster/members of current band.
1230-2.00pm. Lunch and all OBs watch normal band parade.
2-3.30pm. OB bandeers practice by sections.
3.30-4.00pm OB band dress rehearsal on Big Side.
4-4.30pm OB Band performs as for normal lunch parade; ie, march from Music School to Quad. march/countermarch, then march off.

This would give a major highlight to the day, provide a very worthwhile experience for the former Bandeers and something to watch for everyone else. I find the thought of a distinguished professor on the bass drum or a former headmaster of a well-known independent school twirling the mace again quite exciting.

Of course, the idea would need to be discussed and refined, and the school - in particular, the bandmaster - fully consulted, but I would welcome views before proceeding.

Any thoughts anyone?
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

As a non-Bandsman this sounds great. We sang in Chapel for the special service on OB's day last year, so perhaps it is your turn now.

Incidentally, when IS OB's day? If it is to happen at all, I suppose it will be in September (I much prefer the summer, personally). Certainly there is nothing mentioned that I can see in the school diary which I received to-day.

However, I note that on Sunday 18th June, the school are playing cricket against the OBs and that the Malcolm McKelvey Memorial Service is to be held in the Chapel at 2:30 pm, so there may be a sort of mini OB day then, I suppose. I see also that the Peele Festival of Arts is to be held in the theatre that evening and as there is a rumour that this may have the merest hint of Kernow this year, that might be an excuse for this OB at least to be present on that day.
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

The band was only the 100% love of my C.H. life !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
UserRemovedAccount
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by UserRemovedAccount »

J.R. wrote:The band was only the 100% love of my C.H. life !
What did you play, then?
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

DavebytheSea wrote:Incidentally, when IS OB's day? If it is to happen at all, I suppose it will be in September (I much prefer the summer, personally). Certainly there is nothing mentioned that I can see in the school diary which I received to-day.
The last I heard was that there wasn't going to be one this year. The school calendar's too crowded, apparently.
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Re: BAND AND OLD BLUES DAY

Post by Richard Ruck »

petard249 wrote:How about this for a thought?
Old Blues Day 2003 was combined with the Sir Barnes Wallis /RAF Foundation 50th anniversary and proved very successfull and this has given rise to an idea for another "themed" Old Blues Day. How about making some OB day in the near future a combined OB Day and Band reunion? But, to give the event more spice, I suggest that the former Bandeers (is there such a word?) would be set the challenge of producing a proper marching band to perform at (say) 4pm in the afternoon. The timetable might run as follows:
10-11am Former bandeers assemble and conduct auditions supervised by the Bandmaster and members of current band.
11am-1230pm. Individual practice, supervised by Bandmaster/members of current band.
1230-2.00pm. Lunch and all OBs watch normal band parade.
2-3.30pm. OB bandeers practice by sections.
3.30-4.00pm OB band dress rehearsal on Big Side.
4-4.30pm OB Band performs as for normal lunch parade; ie, march from Music School to Quad. march/countermarch, then march off.

This would give a major highlight to the day, provide a very worthwhile experience for the former Bandeers and something to watch for everyone else. I find the thought of a distinguished professor on the bass drum or a former headmaster of a well-known independent school twirling the mace again quite exciting.

Of course, the idea would need to be discussed and refined, and the school - in particular, the bandmaster - fully consulted, but I would welcome views before proceeding.

Any thoughts anyone?
I'd certainly give it a go (need to get my lip back into some sort of shape, though!).

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

petard249 wrote:
J.R. wrote:The band was only the 100% love of my C.H. life !
What did you play, then?
As has been reported on another thread, I started on the bugle, and thats where I stayed. Ended up Senior Bugler. When I hear Last Post being played, the hairs on the back of my neck still stand up. (Don't you DARE Mary !)
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Richard Ruck wrote:
DavebytheSea wrote:Incidentally, when IS OB's day? If it is to happen at all, I suppose it will be in September (I much prefer the summer, personally). Certainly there is nothing mentioned that I can see in the school diary which I received to-day.
The last I heard was that there wasn't going to be one this year. The school calendar's too crowded, apparently.
I think it's a brilliant idea personally - we should definitely have a band reunion!

However, I think it's also important to have an OB's day every year...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Great Plum wrote:
Richard Ruck wrote:
I think it's a brilliant idea personally - we should definitely have a band reunion!

There were some arguments for and against in the Old Blues Day thread last year.

I think it should be an annual event, too, but don't hold your breath!

Rory
Deputy Grecian

Post by Rory »

I think that would be great - it may very well not sound great - but who cares - if it was in the summer I reckon I'd be up for that....we would have to make it a rule tho - only a few beers before parade.....otherwise the marching might be a bit dodgy...

I still use the same trumpet I bought when I was at school...
eloisec
Deputy Grecian

Post by eloisec »

I'd be up for it. Although I'd try and nick a CH bassoon as there's no way I'm drilling a marching lyre into my bassoon!!!!
Eloise Carpenter
Col.A 87-94
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Rory wrote: - only a few beers before parade.....otherwise the marching might be a bit dodgy...

I still use the same trumpet I bought when I was at school...
Like playing at the Arundel cricket matches, then? :drinkers:

I've still got the same tube of trombone slide cream I had at school! :oops:

(Must start playing more.......)

DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

Great Plum wrote:
Richard Ruck wrote:

Were it to be discussed here again, I think the arguments would have moved very much in favour of an annual event. There is no doubt in my mind that, thanks to JT's inspiration in creating this forum and the careful nurturing he has provided, that there is a much more positive feel towards CH (at least among those contributing here) than there might have been in the early days when some used the forum merely as a vehicle for airing gripes and grievances. Apart from anything else, I think that quite a few of us might welcome the chance to meet up and see what we all actually looked like!

My own view is that the school should cash in on any opportunity to foster the goodwill and fellowship of the OB community.
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Completely agree, Dave.

Firstly, though, the CHA situation needs to be sorted out.......

Rory
Deputy Grecian

Post by Rory »

all sounds a bit political.....