CHA Merchandise / Memorabilia - your opinions are needed...

Air your views regarding the CH Old Blues' Association, what it's delivering and what it should/could deliver. A chance to get your voice heard on what you'd like from YOUR Association...

Moderator: Moderators

Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

Well, I suppose if the "Fergie" can sell teaspoons...........
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
Alexandra Thrift
Deputy Grecian

Heraldry (OT sorry )

Post by Alexandra Thrift »

Foureyes wrote:Just for the record, I have done a bit of delving and the correct description of the Christ's Hospital coat-of-arms is:
"...argent, a cross gules in the dexter chief, a dagger of the first on a chief azure between two fleurs-de-lis, or, a rose argent."
Well, that has settled that!
Heh! Heh!

Who remembers "Heraldry" lessons with Miss Mercer in the History Room at Hertford ? We painted beautiful Coats of Arms and were even given Heraldry "tests" where Miss Mercer read out the latin/french official heraldry description and we drew the shield as per instructions !

AAAhh!! The lessons I loved best at CH were those that have no bearing whatsoever on modern living and information that might only be used to answer an obscure question on University Challenge.

I'm a mine of fairly useless information gleaned from my CH days.It never fails to stun work colleagues etc when some bizarre fact falls from my memory.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Re: Heraldry (OT sorry )

Post by Katharine »

Alexandra Thrift wrote:Who remembers "Heraldry" lessons with Miss Mercer in the History Room at Hertford ? We painted beautiful Coats of Arms and were even given Heraldry "tests" where Miss Mercer read out the latin/french official heraldry description and we drew the shield as per instructions !
She was an absolute breath of fresh air when she arrived. Before that we had Miss Page, and I remember Midget remembered her with dread!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I lived heraldry and even bought a book about it, still stun friends and colleagues tody with my knowledge.

Like Alex I know a little about lots.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Memorabilia

Post by Angela Woodford »

I'd love an umbrella, a hoodie, a scarf.

Munch
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

A scarf, certainly.

Maggie
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

the leaving grecians this year had a hoody made and a yearbook. Both of which i would have liked when i left!
I have my school hoody (i never wore when at school but as soon as i left i wore it constantly) it would have been nice to have one for my year group leaving.
I have been given a hoody from Peele B, who had them made last term (due to dad ordering wrong size) which is lovely but for anyone who knows the school they may wonder why a girl has a boy's house hoody!

Also what about something that had a little of your house colours on?
Amy Leadbeater
BaB 2000-01, Gre W01-02

Check out my blog http://leadpencils.blogspot.com/
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

peter2095 wrote:I've noticed that Oxford University do Fairtrade Hoodies and jumpers

That might be a line to go down?
:shock: FairTrade, do you think the school would settle for anything less than FairTrade?

:roll: Oh wait, the school shirts are made in Zimbabwe. Under the watchfull eyes of Mugabe's thugs, no doubt. Silly me!
Jobaker
2nd Former

Post by Jobaker »

hymn books would be awesome... and the choir stuff - anthems, responses etc. that they have in that file.

Also, I always wondered if Old Blues could buy a set of Housey buttons. I would love to have some and so far have not found any ...other than those mentioned previously that were made into cufflinks.

I'm always looking out for CH memorabilia, and was very disappointed when the online shop closed. I tend to do most of my shopping online, and for those of us who are too far from CH to pop down to pick up a few bits that might be on sale there, it would make it far more accessible.

If you do go down the Ebay route, could you please make sure that not all items are put up as auctions... but some as "Buy it now" items too. I very rarely buy things on Ebay through auctions because it takes too long, and I would like to know that I will actually be able to buy what I want! If the items were all up as auctions I would be totally put off buying from an Ebay store.

Jo Baker
LHA (99-01) Grecians East (01-02)

Senior Staff, Christian Survivors Ministries
http://www.christiansurvivors.com
http://www.christiansurvivors.com/forums
gma
Grecian

Re: CHA Merchandise / Memorabilia - your opinions are needed...

Post by gma »

As ever, I'm late to thefray!

With the exception of a couple of posts on here, where in all this is CHA ever going to eem to remember taht the two schoold have only been joined for a couple of decades, Hetford have lost the school and are now blended with Horsham. We had house ties not school ties, we had house colours not school colours, we had no logos on our sports kit and in fact the only thing I remember was the embroidered badge on the blazer and the silver badges that certain girls wore which were to do with their bursaries.

So please remember when deciding about what will be emblazoned on all, that the Old Blues and the current parents are most likely to purchase. No-one can tell me that the representation of Hertford on the Christmas cards reminded anyone of the school at all!

By the way, socks in the Horsham colours are already available to purchase through a catalogue that also carries the ties and socks of other famous schools and well known regiments. Scotts or something like that.

For the record, I'd buy badges, mugs and hoodies or FLEECES (can't see them mentioned and much more likely to be worn for most I suspect) with either our Hertford badge on or an Old Blues logo !
Gerrie M-A (GMA) - 2:34 71-75

"If you cannot have what you want, then learn to want what you have"
Anon or The Guru or someone worthy like that.
Wasn't DR.
Definitely not.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

In reply to Englishangel on Heraldry ---- It cannot have escaped your notice that the Badge (Not Arms) of CH seem to be, invariably ,displayed on a "Shield" ----- incorrect, it should be a "Field" -- although, I suppse we were combatant enough ! ! :lol:
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

And in reply to all.. there was at the start only one school. History between then and now divided out the younger boys and the girls from the older boys but 109 years ago the boys were reunited and 25 years ago the whole school was reunited. So we are back where we began.
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

You tell 'em, Kerren.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Thanks Maggie. I think it to be important that we all should be conscious of our place in the history of the Foundation. By that I do not mean to deamean in any way the 85 years when there was a separate Girls' School, but in the general scheme of things over 450 years one does wonder....!
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

Intellectually I agree with you completely, Kerren, but on an emotional level I can quite understand feelings of exclusion, irrelevance and resentment on the part of those who only knew Hertford. In the past, and in response to some posts, I've tried to imagine Horsham as Hertford; I'm not sure I'm big enough to have got past that issue. Fortunately there are enough of you ladies with a sufficiently generous spirit to make all that irrelevant to me now.

In fact, I have to say that many of the most interesting threads on this forum are Hertford-related.

I can only think that CH is a much better place all round now that both genders are at the same place, regardless of any problems that might bring with it.

Wish I was there now...