CHA Merchandise / Memorabilia - your opinions are needed...

Air your views regarding the CH Old Blues' Association, what it's delivering and what it should/could deliver. A chance to get your voice heard on what you'd like from YOUR Association...

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
jtaylor
Forum Administrator
Posts: 1774
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 12:32 am
Real Name: Julian Taylor
Location: Wantage, OXON
Has thanked: 47 times
Been thanked: 210 times
Contact:

Post by jtaylor » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:57 pm

High quality is essential - everything we sell must be made to last, not simply the cheapest supplier - otherwise people will buy once and get a bad impression of the quality of what's on offer.

One other point - can we ensure that any clothing which we sell has real sizes on it, not just S,M,L,XL etc. etc. - I've never understood why companies do that and don't put the real size on of 44/46 etc. etc. Or, if lettered-sizes are the only option then at least a size-guide for each item, based on measuring them. I'm sure this can act as a disincentive for purchase otherwise, especially with mail-order items.

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Image
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
http://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.

BTaylor
Deputy Grecian
Posts: 202
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:57 am
Real Name: BT
Location: Burbage, Wiltshire
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Post by BTaylor » Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:06 pm

I'm coming to this late, so forgive me if i suggest something that has already been mooted.

My brother, for his 21st birthday present, wanted a couple of housey buttons silver plated and converted into cufflinks. I couldn't get it done in time, but was amazed that the school didn't already sell them.

I still have some crest cufflinks, but would definitely invest in some button ones.
Thornton 85-92

User avatar
cj
Button Grecian
Posts: 1738
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:35 pm
Real Name: Catherine Standing
Location: Devon
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by cj » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:31 pm

sport! wrote:Looking at EtonCollege.com (a minor public school I believe) ....they have mugs saying things like "I'd Rather Be An Old Etonian", so why not "I'd Rather Be an Old Blue", "I'd Rather Be A Squit", "I'd Rather Drink Kiff" etc. on mugs, T-shirts etc......plenty of scope for witicisms..... :wink:
Old Blues did it at Horsham/Hertford

If possible, Fairtrade goods are a bonus.
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.

User avatar
englishangel
Forum Moderator
Posts: 6955
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:22 pm
Real Name: Mary Faulkner (Vincett)
Location: Amersham, Buckinghamshire
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by englishangel » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:12 am

Just had another thought,

I am still wearing a pink polo shirt with the marching boy on it which I bought, goodness knows when. I last went to Horsham in 1997 so it must be at least that old and I could really do with a new one.

I don't know if I have mentioned this before but I was wearing it while working as manager in a care home and one of the nurses the agency sent us said, "I went to school there". He was probably at Horsham in the co-ed era as he wasn't surprised to see a woman in one.

Caroline, I think a while back you exclaimed about hoodies being banned.

Hoodies are not only the garments but the word is also used for the marginalised young men (usually) who wear them with the hood up and pulled over the face while they intimidate others. These young men have been banned from some shopping malls. Unfortunately sometimes others who find them warm and comfortable have been tarred with the same brush.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"

peter2095
GE (Great Erasmus)
Posts: 179
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:58 pm
Real Name: Peter
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 0

Post by peter2095 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:49 am

I love wearing hoodies, because they are comfortable and extremely warm. I totally agree with Mary.

I think that tarring everyone with the same brush on the hoodies front is very ignorant but also a result of paying too much attention to the media.

I think that CH Hoodies would sell. My girlfriend went to Uni up in Reading and around town you would always see people wearing the Univeristy of Reading Hoody.

You can never have enough jumpers, especially in the UK
If it takes 87 muscles to frown, if i frown throughout the day, can that count towards my daily work out?

User avatar
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian
Posts: 3120
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:08 pm
Real Name: Richard Ruck
Location: Horsham
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Richard Ruck » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:25 am

BTaylor wrote:I'm coming to this late, so forgive me if i suggest something that has already been mooted.

My brother, for his 21st birthday present, wanted a couple of housey buttons silver plated and converted into cufflinks. I couldn't get it done in time, but was amazed that the school didn't already sell them.

I still have some crest cufflinks, but would definitely invest in some button ones.
One to look into - thanks!
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?

User avatar
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian
Posts: 3120
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:08 pm
Real Name: Richard Ruck
Location: Horsham
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Richard Ruck » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:29 am

jtaylor wrote:High quality is essential - everything we sell must be made to last, not simply the cheapest supplier - otherwise people will buy once and get a bad impression of the quality of what's on offer.

One other point - can we ensure that any clothing which we sell has real sizes on it, not just S,M,L,XL etc. etc. - I've never understood why companies do that and don't put the real size on of 44/46 etc. etc. Or, if lettered-sizes are the only option then at least a size-guide for each item, based on measuring them. I'm sure this can act as a disincentive for purchase otherwise, especially with mail-order items.

J
Agreed - we don't want tacky stuff.

I take your point about the sizes, too - without a proper guide the lettering system can be too variable to be reliable.
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?

User avatar
cj
Button Grecian
Posts: 1738
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:35 pm
Real Name: Catherine Standing
Location: Devon
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by cj » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:39 am

I think you need things to sell in a range of prices ie. children can afford a pencil or notebook, leaving Grecian may be able to run to a hoodie, high-flying OB lawyer may want to splash out on silver tie-pins. And making sure that the stuff is available and people know where to go to buy it us absolutely vital (whether it's in person from the tuckshop, via mail order catalogue or the internet), otherwise the most beautiful of products will end up languishing in a store room covered in dust.
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.

User avatar
J.R.
Forum Moderator
Posts: 15355
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:53 pm
Real Name: John Rutley
Location: Dorking, Surrey
Has thanked: 133 times
Been thanked: 89 times

Post by J.R. » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:20 pm

englishangel wrote:Hoodies are not only the garments but the word is also used for the marginalised young men
= CHAVS !!!! :twisted:

Edit:- :offtopic: (JT) - Let's keep this thread on-topic - Richard's got a tough job owning this one! - JT
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.

User avatar
blondie95
Button Grecian
Posts: 2590
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:41 pm
Real Name: Amy Leadbeater
Location: Kent
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Post by blondie95 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:38 pm

Mrs C. wrote:
blondie95 wrote:i think the college school scarf would be popular, i have mine and know many others would have liked them

I kept my hoodie with CH badge on from games when i was there and my broadie and buckle!

I think things that can still be used by people may be good such as ties, cuff links, hoodie, mug, cds of choir/big band
My daughter hated wearing her CH hoodie for sports - but now wears it around town quite happily!!
yep I wore mine with pride at uni and now wear that and my uni hoodie with a lot pride!
Amy Leadbeater
BaB 2000-01, Gre W01-02

Check out my blog http://leadpencils.blogspot.com/

peter2095
GE (Great Erasmus)
Posts: 179
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:58 pm
Real Name: Peter
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 0

Post by peter2095 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:52 pm

Totally agree with you Amy

I'd love to have my old CH hoodie back, not sure where it went to

Probably thrown out :(
If it takes 87 muscles to frown, if i frown throughout the day, can that count towards my daily work out?

User avatar
Mrs C.
Button Grecian
Posts: 2300
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:22 pm
Real Name: Janet Chandler
Location: C.H.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Mrs C. » Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:24 pm

cj wrote:I think you need things to sell in a range of prices ie. children can afford a pencil or notebook, leaving Grecian may be able to run to a hoodie, high-flying OB lawyer may want to splash out on silver tie-pins. And making sure that the stuff is available and people know where to go to buy it us absolutely vital (whether it's in person from the tuckshop, via mail order catalogue or the internet), otherwise the most beautiful of products will end up languishing in a store room covered in dust.
The previous stock was all available from the school shop - and , as Kerren reminded me, also from the Sports Centre and on-line for some time. There was quite a broad selection of goods - such as you mention, but it just didn`t seem to sell. Whether it was the prices, the type of goods, or the fact that the shop was only open at certain times, I don`t know.
We, at least, found it to be quite a good source of Christmas presents however!
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.

User avatar
Mid A 15
Button Grecian
Posts: 3031
Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 1:38 pm
Real Name: Claude Rains
Location: The Patio Of England (Kent)
Has thanked: 82 times
Been thanked: 50 times

Post by Mid A 15 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:42 pm

Mrs C. wrote:
cj wrote:I think you need things to sell in a range of prices ie. children can afford a pencil or notebook, leaving Grecian may be able to run to a hoodie, high-flying OB lawyer may want to splash out on silver tie-pins. And making sure that the stuff is available and people know where to go to buy it us absolutely vital (whether it's in person from the tuckshop, via mail order catalogue or the internet), otherwise the most beautiful of products will end up languishing in a store room covered in dust.
The previous stock was all available from the school shop - and , as Kerren reminded me, also from the Sports Centre and on-line for some time. There was quite a broad selection of goods - such as you mention, but it just didn`t seem to sell. Whether it was the prices, the type of goods, or the fact that the shop was only open at certain times, I don`t know.
We, at least, found it to be quite a good source of Christmas presents however!
We might be talking at cross purposes here. However if this is the stuff that used to be advertised in "Housey" magazine the prices seemed quite steep to me.

I'm probably a tight so and so though! My daughters say I am!
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72

User avatar
J.R.
Forum Moderator
Posts: 15355
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:53 pm
Real Name: John Rutley
Location: Dorking, Surrey
Has thanked: 133 times
Been thanked: 89 times

Post by J.R. » Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:59 pm

Mrs C. wrote:
J.R. wrote:How about stick pins for collar/sweater. (like the U.S. political badges)
I think we still have some lapel stick-pin badges for sale in tuckshop if anyone wants one!
Can you find out for me, Janet ?

What do they depict ? Size ?, Cost ?, Availability ?

Ta !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.

kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian
Posts: 9395
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:34 pm
Real Name: Kerren Simmonds
Location: West Sussex
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by kerrensimmonds » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:08 pm

And I've got a whole (large) 'Flora' box FULL of the old Old Girls' Association badges (and some left-over postcards). I thought that next time OG's congregate at Horsham (?when there's a Memorial Service for Miss West?), I would put them somewhere for people to take, against donations which I would put towards our corporate Presentation Fund.
(NB these OGA badges are plain round blue enamel, with a gold edge, and the plain school crest in the middle. NOT the same as the OGA badge which is currently on eBay - and on which I am bidding! I've never seen one like that before.....)
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966

Post Reply