OFFICIAL FEEDBACK topic for Old Blues' Day 2007

Air your views regarding the CH Old Blues' Association, what it's delivering and what it should/could deliver. A chance to get your voice heard on what you'd like from YOUR Association...

Moderator: Moderators

Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

sejintenej wrote:
Great Plum wrote:I agree with Julian - there are so few Saturday's at the school now, you couldn't really put OBD at the weekend...

Also, I think OBD was tried in Spetember a few years ago - this doesn't work for normal leavers as it seemed to be the weekend everyone went back to uni...
I think you need to clarify that.

During term time it is the school which decides on what happens and what doesn't happen. If the school says well in advance "no going home and no parental visits on Saturday ** of June" then that's fixed.

Saturday morning lessons? there's the option to start earlier like 8.30am so they are finished before OBs arrive after 12.00pm. You could cut the gap between 2nd and 3rd parion as well. Alternatively, have only two periods on that Saturday and one extra on the preceding and subsequent Saturdays (assuming there are still 4 periods on Saturday morning).

That`s when lessons start normally every day anyway.
How would any extra lesson be fitted in, given that sports fixtures already mean that many miss lunch Parade on Saturdays ( 5 periods on Saturdays now, btw!)? Not to mention the fact that the following Saturday would probably be a Leave Weekend or half term or something!!
!

Sports? sorry but CH is not scheduluing any sports against other schools on that specific date.

In which case it probably wouldn`t get it`s full quota of games for the year.(although this is hardly my area of knowledge!)

If there was a will to arrange OB day on a Saturday then it could be arranged; the only question remains whether it is better for the OBs to come on Saturday or Sunday. The fact that OBs day seems to be such a rare event means that a once every five (?) years adjustment to Saturday routine should not be a stumbling block except to those who cannot read outside the envelope.
But who knows what will happen with the new Headmaster....
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Re: oops!

Post by Richard Ruck »

Alexandra Thrift wrote:Poor Richard shouldn't have spent the WHOLE day selling mugs ! I would have happily done an hour of it (but no more). Obviously a rota should be organised beforehand. We could have been asked in the letter or maybe the students could have sold mugs (business studies experience??)
Well, I wasn't there for the whole time - Zoe and Diana did a good few stints as well. I have to say that it was a good way to meet a lot of people, too.

I did manage to escape to have some coffee in the morning (with a certain Mr. John Knight), watch the band and to go to the Headmaster's Q & A session in the theatre.

However, by the time next Old Blues Day comes along I would imagine that we'll have a far greater range of merchandise for sale, so extra volunteers would be most welcome!
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Alexandra Thrift wrote:Chapel was really nice though Munch (Angela Woodford ) and I would have preferred to have known the Magnificat and Nunc Dimittis ....and wondered why the responses weren't sung....and were confused by the prayers coming from different parts of the chapel and above and not being able to see who was speaking (disembodied voices).
"God be in my head" would have been nice at the end of the service.It was great to have so many pupils sitting and singing with us with little separation....I really had the CH feeling of continuity and unity.
This was Alexandra's quote (I did meet you in the day didn't I? I think I directed you (rather badly) to the clay pigeopn shooting!)

The Mag and Nunc (Stamford in C are well known Horsham staples (probably important for the Grecians) - not much time to learn anything...

I don't think I have ever known the middle part of the responses sung at Horsham - I know Bruce Grindlay (head of music) said this was to give the congregation something to do...

God be in my Head... well, I know about 5 different versions - but I never sang it at school - was it a Hertford favourite?

As for moving sports on a Saturday - speaking from family experience, there already aren't enough Saturday's in the school calendar to fit all the matches in - to lose another one would not work...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

Great Plum wrote:
Alexandra Thrift wrote:Chapel was really nice though Munch (Angela Woodford ) and I would have preferred to have known the Magnificat and Nunc Dimittis ....and wondered why the responses weren't sung....and were confused by the prayers coming from different parts of the chapel and above and not being able to see who was speaking (disembodied voices).
"God be in my head" would have been nice at the end of the service.It was great to have so many pupils sitting and singing with us with little separation....I really had the CH feeling of continuity and unity.
The Mag and Nunc (Stamford in C are well known Horsham staples (probably important for the Grecians) - not much time to learn anything...

I don't think I have ever known the middle part of the responses sung at Horsham - I know Bruce Grindlay (head of music) said this was to give the congregation something to do...

God be in my Head... well, I know about 5 different versions - but I never sang it at school - was it a Hertford favourite?
Those Stanford canticles are a staple of church choir repertoire so are a safe bet for an ad hoc choir. And saying responses is less tricky than doing something on a quick rehearsal (most people would probably know Rose though). But like you say, it keeps the congregation on their toes and gives them something to participate in as well as hymns. Which version of 'God Be In My Head' did you do?
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Meeting the Great Plum

Post by Angela Woodford »

Great Plum wrote:This was Alexandra's quote (I did meet you in the day didn't I? I think I directed you (rather badly) to the clay pigeopn shooting!)
Alex and I were sitting outside the Court Room when I spotted you. "That's Mr Plum!" I squeaked excitedly. You and JR directed Alex to Headmaster's Questions and you tried to direct me to the Rifle Range... but it wasn't there. Nobody knew where it was - eventually, I met an Old Blue who also was searching and we found the Rifle Range together.

I should like to confess that, much as I enjoyed shooting, I didn't hit the target once! Oh the shame. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Munch
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Ah, I directed you to the Clay Pigeon shoot - wrong type of guns! Sorry! :oops:
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Great Plum wrote:God be in my Head... well, I know about 5 different versions - but I never sang it at school - was it a Hertford favourite?

God be in my head
And in my understanding

God be in my heart
And in my thinking?

Hmmpphh - can't remember any more, but, yes, it was regularly (every Evensong?) sung at Hertford.
Caroline Payne (nee Barrett)
Hertford 6.20 1965-70

Adelaide, dear Adelaide; where the water is foul, but the wines more than make up for it.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

GBIMH

Post by Angela Woodford »

At the risk of offending other Old Girls, sorry, sorry, I always thought God Be In My Head was a bit of a dirge and liable to d-r-a-g -

Munch
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I think it was the Last Chapel hymn, at the end of term. almost our equivalent of "Sussex by the Sea" at the Beating of the Retreat.

Yes Munch, I agree it is/was a bit of a dirge.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

I think Caroline is right and that it was sung at Evensong most Sundays.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

I always preferred the Vesper hymn " May the grace.. " - much more evocative
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."