OFFICIAL FEEDBACK topic for Old Blues' Day 2007

Air your views regarding the CH Old Blues' Association, what it's delivering and what it should/could deliver. A chance to get your voice heard on what you'd like from YOUR Association...

Moderator: Moderators

AndrewH
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by AndrewH »

Great Plum wrote:
jtaylor wrote:Not good for Old Blues who are clergy....they're working, and difficult to get cover.
Ah, I see what you mean... but good for most other people...
Probably not good for anyone who has to use public transport!
Andrew Harrison
Maine A 1970-73
Lamb A 1973-77
AndrewH
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by AndrewH »

Mrs C. wrote:
J.R. wrote:
Mrs C. wrote: Don`t worry - everyone had to stand for lunch and tea on Speech Day - unless one of the lucky few who managed to grab a seat.
Surely, that's bad planning ?
I think the logic behind it is that if you have to stand you tend to mingle more - bit difficult when trying to balance plate and drink in one hand though!
In that case have only a few chairs (for those that need them) and have leave room to get at the tables.
Andrew Harrison
Maine A 1970-73
Lamb A 1973-77
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

JUST A MINUTE !

Some of us are of retirement age !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Re. Sunday- this was the only available date in the school's calendar. Planning for Old Blues Day started in the middle of last year, and it was either Sunday or not at all. This did lend a somewhat different feel to the day, compared to previous Old Blues Days, but most of the comments I heard were very positive.

Because Sunday is the only 'day off' for the school, it was all the more gratifying to know that many members of the CH community went the extra mile to make the day a success (boarding houses open, Band in uniform, string ensemble in the Quad, pupils interacting with Old Blues, Tuck Shop open, and so on).

They all have our heartfelt thanks.
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
Eruresto
Grecian

Post by Eruresto »

J.R. wrote:JUST A MINUTE !
Surely you don't mean the game Just A Minute?

I thought it all went well - perhaps a bit more informing to the school would be good to get more interaction? Some people didn't know it was happening!
Joshua Bell: PeA 2002-2008, GrW 2008-9
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Richard Ruck wrote:Re. Sunday- this was the only available date in the school's calendar. Planning for Old Blues Day started in the middle of last year, and it was either Sunday or not at all. This did lend a somewhat different feel to the day, compared to previous Old Blues Days, but most of the comments I heard were very positive.

Because Sunday is the only 'day off' for the school, it was all the more gratifying to know that many members of the CH community went the extra mile to make the day a success (boarding houses open, Band in uniform, string ensemble in the Quad, pupils interacting with Old Blues, Tuck Shop open, and so on).

They all have our heartfelt thanks.
The Old Blus Days in the 90's always used to be on a Sunday...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Never on a Sunday in my day, I'm sure.

In fact, I have a sneaky feeling it was mid-week, possibly Wednesdays, but at my age the memory is failing.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Always a Saturday when I was there from what I remember.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

I finally didn't attend because, having driven back from the Midlands at the end of the week, I did not fancy driving down to Horsham and back on the Sunday - and without even the possibility of a pint between the two trips ( I support zero tolerance at the wheel).
Whereas a Saturday meeting would have meant being able to sleep over at a B&B and drive back the next day.
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

I'm pretty sure they were on Saturdays in Hertford in my day.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

I think a Saturday would be better - lessons up to break time, then things starting after that. It would also give travellers time to get home on Sunday. School can then recover on the Sunday.
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Katharine wrote:I'm pretty sure they were on Saturdays in Hertford in my day.
Yes I seem to remember that too. But then we 'only' had prep on a Saturday and we didn't have all the half terms and exeats they have nowadays, and no band gallivanting to rugby and cricket matches etc. :lol:
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

cj wrote:I think a Saturday would be better - lessons up to break time, then things starting after that. It would also give travellers time to get home on Sunday. School can then recover on the Sunday.
I agree. Sunday is probably ideal if you live localish but a bit of a pain if you don't. Especially if you have work the next day or have kids to ferry to school etc.
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
Zoe Mitchell
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Zoe Mitchell »

Photos of Old Blues' Day now available on the CHA website:
http://www.chassociation.org/index.php

Please do send us copies of your own photos of the day for display on the website, in the magazine.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Vonny wrote:
cj wrote:I think a Saturday would be better - lessons up to break time, then things starting after that. It would also give travellers time to get home on Sunday. School can then recover on the Sunday.
I agree. Sunday is probably ideal if you live localish but a bit of a pain if you don't. Especially if you have work the next day or have kids to ferry to school etc.
I don't think a Saturday would work due to the disruption to classes and that half the school would be away with sports and so the band would be depleted etc...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99