Next Manager of the CHA (after Zoe Mitchell)

Air your views regarding the CH Old Blues' Association, what it's delivering and what it should/could deliver. A chance to get your voice heard on what you'd like from YOUR Association...

Moderator: Moderators

kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Next Manager of the CHA (after Zoe Mitchell)

Post by kerrensimmonds »

I learned today that an Old Blue applicant for this job, local to the area, has been turned down without interview. This person suspects that they are 'over qualifed' for the position - although they meet the specification and wanted to do the job to serve Christ's Hospital and alumni relations. What does this say to the rest of us out there?
Any comments........?
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

The conspiracy theory may now take wing and fly. Any particular reason why 'they' might not want an OB in the job, or is it that particular OB?
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Who knows, Maggie? Unlike me (who is definitely Persona Non Grata at anything anywhere to do with Christ's Hospital or the CHA, now) this applicant is not known to 'the office'. So I am afraid that I can't answer your question. I know that there are lots of Old Blues out there who would like this post to be held by an Old Blue, and on the surface of it the person concerned appears to have the basic requirements for the post (as well as rather more...). I personally think it's insulting to them, and to Old Bluedom, to not even invite them for an interview. Unless of course 'the office' already has a cast iron candidate who is also an Old Blue. Let's see who gets the job? I'd put money, however, on it being a non Old Blue, with a background in fundraising.... which is where Zoe came from, and her predecessor, Sara.
Kerren
Kerren Simmonds
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I can assure anyone who might be thinking............

It wasn't/Isn't me !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

OK I can assure everyone it is/was not JR....
The whole thing feels 'fishy' to me.. let's see who does get the job.
Kerren
Kerren Simmonds
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I once went for the job of alumni officer at Exeter University - they said it needed a recent graduate (preferably from the uni - which I was) and did not have to have any experience in the field - I didn't get an interview and the job went to a Polish lady who had lived in the UK 18 months...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Great Plum wrote:I once went for the job of alumni officer at Exeter University - they said it needed a recent graduate (preferably from the uni - which I was) and did not have to have any experience in the field - I didn't get an interview and the job went to a Polish lady who had lived in the UK 18 months...
Speaks volumes, Matt !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Wuppertal
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Wuppertal »

To me it's a no-brainer. Of course it would be great to have an Old Blue in such a position. Seems very foolish to turn one down so dismissively, as Kerren reports.

I'm not saying that it must be an Old Blue, but they'd be automatically a lot more qualified for the job, knowing about the school from the inside - as my 2nd Form English teacher, Mr. Holdsworth (hope it's OK to mention the name) reassured us on our first day: knowing what it's like to have sat "on that side of the desk". But then, we said that about an English England manager, and look what happened!

About a year ago I applied for a short-term envelope-licking job with my university's accounts department. I was surprised enough when they asked me for my CV for a job of licking envelopes, but then yet more surprised when they rejected me on the grounds of being over-qualified and that I might not find the job rewarding. I couldn't have cared less if it was boring, I just wanted the money (would anyone choose to be an envelope licker for the career prospects or the enjoyment?). They said that because I had A-Levels, they wouldn't have expected me to apply for that job. The job was only open to university students.
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

Great Plum wrote: I once went for the job of alumni officer at Exeter University - they said it needed a recent graduate (preferably from the uni - which I was) and did not have to have any experience in the field - I didn't get an interview and the job went to a Polish lady who had lived in the UK 18 months...
So, Exeter preferred a Pole to a Plum,
I'd call that really dumb,
Here's hoping, like others I could mention,
They are victims of their own ill-intention

:shock:
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

Wuppertal wrote: They said that because I had A-Levels, they wouldn't have expected me to apply for that job. The job was only open to university students.
So that would be a university that has students with no A-levels or equivalent qualifications. Someone really hasn't thought this one through.
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
Wuppertal
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Wuppertal »

cj wrote:
Wuppertal wrote: They said that because I had A-Levels, they wouldn't have expected me to apply for that job. The job was only open to university students.
So that would be a university that has students with no A-levels or equivalent qualifications. Someone really hasn't thought this one through.
Exactly! Ridiculous, isn't it. The thing is, even though I was quite bitter at the way they had viewed me, I would still apply again if the possibility came up because I just need the money!

I just hope that next time they realise that they're not going to find any university students without A-levels. Perhaps the job was perfectly open to those with the IB :?

Plum, I hope you found a decent employer in the end who gave clear application credentials and didn't turn back on them!
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Re:

Post by sejintenej »

Wuppertal wrote:
About a year ago I applied for a short-term envelope-licking job with my university's accounts department. I was surprised enough when they asked me for my CV for a job of licking envelopes, but then yet more surprised when they rejected me
I was in the running to assist the invigilator overseeing kids doing GCSE. All fine until I presented an original Adoption Certificate issued by a UK Court instead of a Birth Certificate**. The principle seems to be that if the germans killed your parents then Essex CC will not allow you near kids!

**I actually do have a copy of my original birth certificate but it would have been illegal to present it.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!