The Blue Proposals

Air your views regarding the CH Old Blues' Association, what it's delivering and what it should/could deliver. A chance to get your voice heard on what you'd like from YOUR Association...

Moderator: Moderators

Lousey!
2nd Former

The Blue Proposals

Post by Lousey! »

A few things that Lousey! would like to see changed in 'The Blue':

> Less drivel on irrelevant topics
> Correct information
> Less money made available to the editor for 'making it'
> A new editor
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

sounds fair to me. that's not the only teacher that should be investigated by the fraud squad :!:
The finger to the land of the chains!
WHAT? The land of the FREE?!
Whoever told you that is your ENEMY...
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

The most recent edition of the Blue was, I am afraid to say really really awful...
jp
2nd Former

Decline of the Blue

Post by jp »

Would this be in any way related to the fact the Editor retired, and no one else gave a sh1t? Even when I was there, the school powers (SMT + counting house drones) gave no support to the Blue. And most of the houses / sport captains / other contribs were pretty lax about doing decent house notes etc.

Hardly a surprise if it's crap (I've not seen most recent issue).

No-one should be getting paid for editing the Blue, what they should be getting is support from the school.
"He rose from his chair in the manner of a man whose chief interests are drinking port, and sitting still."
LB/LA 84-91
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Re: Decline of the Blue

Post by Great Plum »

jp wrote:Would this be in any way related to the fact the Editor retired, and no one else gave a sh*t? Even when I was there, the school powers (SMT + counting house drones) gave no support to the Blue. And most of the houses / sport captains / other contribs were pretty lax about doing decent house notes etc.

Hardly a surprise if it's crap (I've not seen most recent issue).

No-one should be getting paid for editing the Blue, what they should be getting is support from the school.
JDS retired - he used to have to do the Blue basically on his own - the sports side was done by HPH and JDS got scouts and tutees to help with the rest really!
Mary Clare
2nd Former

Post by Mary Clare »

I doubt if anyone who has not been involved with editing The Blue has any idea how much work it takes... Perhaps the poor quality of the most recent issue might rouse support and interest from the school?... And pigs might fly...

I was editor for nearly 2 years, and saw the effort put in by JDS et al. It's a shame that it has not been appreciated by the school until too late...
Ba B 97-03/Gr E 03-04

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"
Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Mary Clare wrote:I doubt if anyone who has not been involved with editing The Blue has any idea how much work it takes... Perhaps the poor quality of the most recent issue might rouse support and interest from the school?... And pigs might fly...

I was editor for nearly 2 years, and saw the effort put in by JDS et al. It's a shame that it has not been appreciated by the school until too late...
Mary Clare, I knew how much work you, JDS and others put into it... it is just that there has been a noticeable drop in quality in the last two epsiodes - maybe the school is more apathetic now, wouldn't surpirse me!
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

I will be interested to see exactly what the new format is about.

The Blue has been the only regular communication that Old Blues receive (assuming they're in the CH Club) and even if they're not involved particularly, they find out via The Blue what the school is up to, what's changing etc. etc.

I hope that this isn't lost in the changes that look inevitable now...........

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
Chammy
3rd Former

Post by Chammy »

I haven't really seen the new Blue but judging by these reviews it sounds pretty bad. The Blue may have been better back when jds etc. did it but the bottom line was it wasn't very damned interesting! The only things that I bothered to look at (and im not alone here) were the pictures, the house notes and some of the sports reviews, and i hear the house notes are no longer there! even if whoever wrote them didnt take it that seriously, it was still more fun than reading than 'Chaplaincy notes' or what have you (no offence to munna and the gang). INS, the new editor. I won't comment..
Ian Stannard
3rd Former

The Blue

Post by Ian Stannard »

I thought I ought to try and put the record straight so far as the Blue is concerned, seeing as I find myself in the uneviable position of editing the magazine.

When JDS retired I offered to take on the magazine but on the assumption that we could move to a new format - all colour, annual and more contemporary in style. The termly magazine is very hard to complete given the fact that it is done when trying to find time to write and compile it whilst working in a very busy school.

I expected to take over in the September of 2004, but JDS stepped down early leaving me with the task of producing two editions of a magazine I was trying to close! The first edition was poor - I was using equipment I that was brand new and a mystery to me at the time. The rushed job that was produced was full of errors and I accept that it fell well short of the standard required.

The second I think is better and I hope that most people thought it was a decent attempt to put across what happened during the summer term. I am stuck with a magazine that is only as good as the content provided. It is a magazine of record that is aiming to provide a decent, fair and hopefully interesting account of the events that take place at the school. As such it will appeal more to current students than Old Blues. Most school magazines are prone to dwell on otherwise boring events such as Chapel Notes (not very interesting if you were not even there), sports results and the day to day events that take place.

The next edition will be published in 2005 and review the year 2004/5. It will be very different in some ways and stay true to its roots in others. Those who want plenty of photos will be pleased, those who want in jokes and innuendo (funny to a tiny minority who know the context) will be disappointed. I would be very happy to talk to any Old Blue who has something to add to it evolution and would be delighted to interview an Old Blue or too who might want to write something that the Old Blues will find amusing or interesting.

The whole saga of the Blue recent history has been played out against a battle of wills between the Club and the new Association. This change has irritated some and pleased others. Just as the new Blue will too. I will do my best to produce something worthy of the name and hope you give me and the team working with me to make a go of it.

ps - the picture of the sunset was given to me by CHAPS (the new CH photgraphy society). We wanted to give their artistic efforts some publicity.

pps House Notes will return too!
Ian Stannard
3rd Former

Post by Ian Stannard »

Having read my own reply I am aware of the need to find a good proof reader out there! Any takers :?:
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

Ian,
Thanks for the info, and for coming on to put the record straight.
I'm really keen that there's sensible dialog on this one, and hence thanks for your views and explaining where we are, and what to expect! Something that I do feel has been lacking recently, and hence some of the potential ill-feeling.

I hope that other forum members will feel able to add constructive ideas about what they'd like from The Blue.

One point I'd personally question is the bit about
It is a magazine of record that is aiming to provide a decent, fair and hopefully interesting account of the events that take place at the school. As such it will appeal more to current students than Old Blues.
I feel that Old Blues are actually more interested in the day-to-day school activities, what's changed, what special events/changes are happening etc. This seems evidenced by the popularity of the Stories/Reminiscing section of the forum.
Old Blues - am I right? Feel free to disagree.

Thanks again for getting involved in the forum - really appreciate direct info. and you taking the time to contribute.

J

PS Can't help with the proof reading - my Mum still corrects my spelling!
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
Ian Stannard
3rd Former

Post by Ian Stannard »

Your point is fair and perhaps we ought to have more content from the Old Blue community. Send me ideas I will listen to them!

The other change you will notice is the fact that soon Old Blues (all Old Blues not just Club members) will receive a new mag called - The Old Blue. This will try to address your needs and I urge you to contact John Hopgood (who shares my desire to ring the changes) with your thoughts.

The ill feeling is something I am well aware of !!!

:(

All I can say is that I will do my best to provide people with what they want, both in and outside the school. Having just read the funny but sometimes cutting recent editions of Lousey, I need to mend some bridges with people who clearly have an axe to grind (sometimes at my expense).
Andy Friend
3rd Former

Post by Andy Friend »

I wait with interest to see the new copy of The Blue.

It must in some ways be a thankless task trying to create a magazine which is all things to all people!

I remember from my time at CH, especially enjoying the house notes and the Theatre/Scouts scetions (things which were relevant to me)

Yes there is also a fair point about the innuendo etc. but then there are always going to be things that are only relevant to current blues.

Now as a (relatively) young old blue, I still enjoy reading the various sections but find myself hardly glancing at the Old Blues section. I guess that this is because it tends to focus on Old Blues who have left some time ago.

This comes down to the trying to be all things to all people!

Change is understandably contentious, but we have to go forward otherwise will only go back!

I would be more than happy to make suggestions for The Blue or to be involved in this going forward.
FrogBoxed
Deputy Grecian

Re: The Blue

Post by FrogBoxed »

Ian Stannard wrote:I would be very happy to talk to any Old Blue who has something to add to it evolution and would be delighted to interview an Old Blue or too who might want to write something that the Old Blues will find amusing or interesting.
I think some mention of this forum and the amazing reactions to it (and on it :wink:) would be in order! If nothing else, it's a bit more publicity to supplement Julian and Simon's herculean emailing task on Friends Reunited and might get other people on board who haven't checked their FR mail in a while.