SPAMMING

START HERE:- New to the forum? Look here for info on what it's all about. We've got lots of users, some regular and some occasional, so if you're not sure how to join in then here's where to start.

Moderator: Moderators

englishangel
Forum Moderator

SPAMMING

Post by englishangel »

I have noticed that we have had a few Spam posts recently.

Please do not dignify this nonsense with comments.

The quickest way to get rid of it is to email Julian or Simon with the relevant web page in the email and the topic 'spam alert'.

They don't have time to watch everything so it is we as members who must remain vigilant.

Thank you for your attention.

Mary xx
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

That's a very formal post Mary!

Maybe it would be best to have the other moderators that Julian was thinking of...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Twice earlier this week I emailed Julian about this (when I thought I was perhaps the first onto the Forum since the spam) - but don't want him to be overwhelmed with too many of us doing it.

What is the answer?
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I feel a Monty Python joke coming on !!!!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

"Wonderful Spam"

We've got DaveByTheSea as an additional moderator, but I certainly would like to add one or two more.

Simon and I will probably approach a couple of people and see if they're up for it - I'll talk to Simon in the next few days.

Best approach in the short-term is simply to PM me (or email if you like) and I'll simply remove the post and deactivate the user account.

Those to those who have pointed out the spam emails - certainly saves me some time trawling everything! The same goes for anything you feel is abusive, inappropriate, or breaches the terms-of-use.

I don't get much time these days to browse or keep up with the forum - too much time spent doing web design (thanks to Lou's coaching!) and other stuff!

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

If you logout, and then click on Register to re-register, does anyone else see the image below, with the section to enter the letters in the image?

Before I restored the database, it wasn't there, but having reinstalled it appears! Weird! AND, we've only had the major spam hit since the re-install, the opposite of what I'd expect...

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

I just tried logging out and logged back in straight away, I did not get that just the usual User Name and Password request.
John Knight
Deputy Grecian

Post by John Knight »

Katharine wrote:I just tried logging out and logged back in straight away, I did not get that just the usual User Name and Password request.
Katharine, - You have to 'Log Out' and then click on the 'Register' button as if you are a new user.
I got the same as Julian.
I just hope it was put there by 'Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group' and not somebody else.
Prep B 49 / Barnes B 39 - 1946-1952
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

It worked perfectly for me.

I don't mind doing some part time moderating as time is something I seem to have plenty of, apart from when the Girls and boys are footy-ing !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Oops :oops: :oops: It does help to read properly! Yes if I try to register I get the control picture.