Grecian's Play

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Should we do 'A Midsummers Night's Dream' ?

Poll ended at Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:55 pm

Yes
67%
No
33%

Total votes: 9

DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

darthmaul wrote:It didn't, on either night. Saturday was a nightmare though, as we had formulated a contigency plan to hold the Garden Quad scenes in Big School. .
You spotted snakes with double tongue
Thorny hedgehogs be not seen;
Newts and blind-worms do no wrong.

Do they still have newts in the Garden Quad (called the New Quad in my day)?
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
Laura M
Deputy Grecian

Post by Laura M »

Yup still got the newts and tadpoles!!!
Two men lying in a bed, one rolled over to the other and said, 'I'm gonna lead me a life of danger, I'm gonna marry a WESSEX RANGER!'
BaA 97-03 GrW 03-04
rockfreak
Grecian

Re: Grecian's Play

Post by rockfreak »

1955, Head boy David (now Lord) Simon doing a manic reading of Toad, in Toad of Toad Hall, in the old Prep hall?
Chris T
3rd Former

Post by Chris T »

Excuse the (temporary?) diversion, but what's a Wessex Ranger?
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

Ploughed through this thread in case I'd already contributed to it, but it seems I haven't.

There were 'Leaving Grecians' Plays' every year I was there, except 1963, when it was displaced by the fund-collecting Festival (just as well, because I'd been asked to produce it, should the festival not take place).
Of the Grecians' Plays I saw, I remember these. There was Toad of Toad Hall, staged in the Prep Hall in (which year? 1958, 59?), starring the senior grecian Lord-to-be Simon.
I forget which year, but that oddball Peter Flynn, the American visitor, staged The Lady's Not For Burning (which no one understood) in Big School.
In 1962, there was a performance of Aristophanes' 'Frogs' on the forecourt (and roof) of the Music School.
I also recall 'Romanoff and Juliet', staged in Big School (can't remember when, or who was in it).
There was also one year (I think 1961) when there was a programme of three short plays including one by Ionescu (The Bald Primadonna, I think) and one by Pinter.
That's five. I can't recall the other two.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
eucsgmrc
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by eucsgmrc »

michael scuffil wrote:In 1962, there was a performance of Aristophanes' 'Frogs' on the forecourt (and roof) of the Music School.
And here it is!

I have a copy of the Blue which reveals that Boucher and I played Aeschylus and Euripides, but I can't even remember which one I was. Even at the time, I didn't understand a word of the play, and filled up my performance with "business". Pat Daunt's review managed to put a complimentary gloss on it by saying "commanded the long and difficult last scene of the play admirably and held the delighted attention of all ages" - which, being interpreted, means "arsed about interminably and raised a few slight titters".
John Wexler
Col A 1954-62