Prestigious Visitors!

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Hendrik wrote:one of my fave t-shirt slogans has to be 'fairport convention haven't heard of you either'. saw them at cropredy a couple of years ago, they've still got it.

we had some astronaut who's been on the moon, and of course, Mark Thomas (f'n legend)

i was walking through quad to the maths block and saw some bloke who wasn't anything to do with the school. i asked the nearest teacher who he was "Tim Rice (Andy LLoyd Webber's bloke)", came the reply. "As in 'Tim Rice but dim'?" said I. I then received a very unimpressed look.
i thought it was damn funny at the time though.
Good old Fairport - i saw them at a gig a few years ago and they said that they had a tribute act called 'Carport Extension!' lOL
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

Great Plum wrote:Dad still goes on about that Michael Chpman gig...

for H

Hexham Courant 13th Jan
"The veteran folk singer (Michael Chapman) and songwriter is marking his birthday (65th) by setting off on the bus pass tour, with stops at Scarborough and Hull."
"Later this year he plans a UK Tour to celebrate 40 years as a musician on the road."
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

I also remember Tim Rice at CH Horsham (in the 80's) and also we had a visit from Ken Livingstone :roll:
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
sport!
Deputy Grecian

Post by sport! »

Gordon Honeycombe!
BaB, ColB 1973-80
HowardH
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by HowardH »

Saw Mike Chapman at Arundel three years ago. Still the world's most amazing guitarist and as gruff as ever. Talked for a while with him about the gig in Big School c.1970 (we have Roger Allam to thank for that, I think). He said he remembered it vividly for he and his wife Andru were on the way to France the next day. He recalled that for the only time in their lives the two of them caught headlice following that particular concert! Ah, fond memories of a single visit to C.H. = the architecture - no; the uniforms - no; headlice!
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

Michael Stewart came down just after Harold Wilson had made him Foreign Minister in 1965. He came for some event in Chapel, but I can't remember what it was.
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

HowardH wrote:Saw Mike Chapman at Arundel three years ago. Still the world's most amazing guitarist and as gruff as ever. Talked for a while with him about the gig in Big School c.1970 (we have Roger Allam to thank for that, I think). He said he remembered it vividly for he and his wife Andru were on the way to France the next day. He recalled that for the only time in their lives the two of them caught headlice following that particular concert! Ah, fond memories of a single visit to C.H. = the architecture - no; the uniforms - no; headlice!
I thought it was one of the Burgess brothers who arranged the concert.

Thinking about it, a cabin on a ferry is the more likely source of headlice, (they need physical proximity to migrate????????).

Or is that just being defensive of CH.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

AKAP wrote:
HowardH wrote:Saw Mike Chapman at Arundel three years ago. Still the world's most amazing guitarist and as gruff as ever. Talked for a while with him about the gig in Big School c.1970 (we have Roger Allam to thank for that, I think). He said he remembered it vividly for he and his wife Andru were on the way to France the next day. He recalled that for the only time in their lives the two of them caught headlice following that particular concert! Ah, fond memories of a single visit to C.H. = the architecture - no; the uniforms - no; headlice!

Thinking about it, a cabin on a ferry is the more likely source of headlice, (they need physical proximity to migrate????????).

Yes, what on earth were they doing with the students to get close enough to get headlice.

My kids have had them and I didn't get them even when they got into bed with me in the mornings.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

englishangel wrote:
AKAP wrote:

Yes, what on earth were they doing with the students to get close enough to get headlice.

My kids have had them and I didn't get them even when they got into bed with me in the mornings.
I'm reliably informed that some people don't have 'the right kind of hair' for nits. (head-lice.)

Never suffered from them personally, though youngest daughter was constantly infested during her school days.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I don't know if it's the hair or the blood.

Two of mine had them and also get mosquito bites, the other gets/got neither.
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

apparently nits only like really clean hair because they can grab hold of it more easily (BS or not, i don' know)

mosquitoes hate: garlic in the bloodstream, and smoke.

so transform your son or daughter into a cigar-chomping frenchman by the time they reach school age, and they'll be A-OK.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

They are in their late teens now so a bit late for that.

Incidentally the mosquitos love me too, and hate my husband, it must be genetic.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Whilst we are on the subject of insect bites.

Did anyone else suffer from horse-fly bites whilst at Horsham ? I remember the summer of 59, I was CONSTANTLY covered in HUGE lumps caused by those dreaded insects.

Oddly, they don't bother me now, but one of our Grand-Daughters seems to suffer from then in the summer.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

J.R. wrote:Whilst we are on the subject of insect bites.

Did anyone else suffer from horse-fly bites whilst at Horsham ? I remember the summer of 59, I was CONSTANTLY covered in HUGE lumps caused by those dreaded insects.

Oddly, they don't bother me now, but one of our Grand-Daughters seems to suffer from then in the summer.
As a kid I spent a lot of time on my uncle's farm in Somerset, so I'd learned at an early age that these little b*ggers are best avoided.

Some of my mates had to learn the hard way, though!
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

J.R. wrote:Whilst we are on the subject of insect bites.
Not sure whether any of the other OG here wore the summer Sunday yellow dresses which were brought in for the quartercentenary; they attracted greenfly. If you were ever out in them you became covered in green spots.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965