The Blue...

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Re: The Blue...

Post by Mid A 15 »

Mark1 wrote:Thought here would be the place to ask: apart from general publishing quality improvements, what would the general consensus be on the new annual The Blue?

Any comments, ideas on what could or should be improved or changed for the coming year, re emphasis, layout I'm sure would be much appreciated by all who will be involved...

:D
I thoroughly enjoyed the "new" subscription Blue and consider it £6.50 well spent.

I liked the layout and content particularly the sport which admittedly is an interest of mine. It was also good to see the return of The Outlook within the magazine.

If I was to be "picky" some of the proof reading could be better. Specifically the captions surrounding the 1st XV photos.

However overall it was excellent and, God willing, I shall certainly purchase the next one.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

palgsm93 wrote:
Alexandra Thrift wrote:
jhopgood wrote:Anyone who is on the CH database as an Old Blue, certainly all former CH Club members and thos who now receive Housey.
On the other thread you've started John, you say we have to have paid to get a copy.I don't remember doing that ( ?) but I would like a copy. How do I order/pay ? In the past it's just arrived. :shock:
I think the deal is this: You have to pay for a copy of The Blue, but you will get a copy of the Old Blue for free. :D
In my usual way I seem to have muddied the water.
When the Blue was a joint publication with an Old Blue section, anyone who was a member of the CH Club got a copy.
The school then decided that it would only have one issue of the magazine per year, the Blue, but Old Blues wanted at least 2 issues of a magazine.
At the same time the CH Club voted itself out of existence and the CH Association was born.
As part of the backroom dealing, it was agreed that remaining funds of the CH Club would be passed to the new Association to be used exclusively for the publication of 2 copies of a new magazine, the Old Blue, containing news about Old Blues. The Old Blue is free to Association members.
The school would issue it's magazine, the Blue, once a year and would charge for non pupils who wished to purchase a copy.
I'm sure that is equally unclear but we have tried to explain this in the last 2 copies of the Blue when it was a joint magazine.
:?:
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
Mary Clare
2nd Former

Post by Mary Clare »

Have just received my copy... And, although I was prepared to be a cynical and scathing former editor, I was pleasantly surprised! Sufficiently different from the 'JDS Era', don't you think? Well done...
Ba B 97-03/Gr E 03-04

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"
Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
ins@ch
2nd Former

Post by ins@ch »

The school Blue will be published every year. The next edition will be ready by October/November and will reflect life at CH from September 05 to September 06. The format will be broadly similar although we may change the content and extend some sections. We hope to improve the standard and I accept that we need to look closely at the captions! It was proof read by three people yet still things are missed!!

I am glad that the majority enjoyed reading it - feedback from staff and parents was very positive. It is not free and paid for by subscription. The Old Blue (which reflects non school activities) is free to all Old Blues.

We hope that as many Old Blues as possible will support the Blue and keep in touch with what goes on here. The Blue will continue to have a student editorial team.

I was also pleased that the Old Blue has adopted a style which mirrors that of the school Blue. This makes sense.

Any suggestions will be gladly received.

ps Well done John - the first edition of the Old Blue was very good indeed.