Infirmary Nurses

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Infirmary Nurses

Post by Mid A 15 »

I can remember Nurse Walters (the older one with the glasses), Nurse Mc Morran (who I believe married Mr Denison) and Nurse Bonny (shortish with curly hair).

Reading other threads pupils seem to be sent home when ill nowadays.

Does that mean the sicker no longer has nurses? Does the School still have it's own Doctor?

Who deals with foot rot and the like? Legions of us used to troop to the sicker after breakfast for various treatments. What do they do now?
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Re: Infirmary Nurses

Post by Richard Ruck »

Mid A 15 wrote: Legions of us used to troop to the sicker after breakfast for various treatments.
.......and try to stay at the back of the queue in order to miss part of the first lesson of the day.
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
Chammy
3rd Former

Post by Chammy »

I remember the day when a lad playing for the First Fifteen at Rugby injured himself in a horrific collision. Two broken legs, a broken nose and internal bleeding. Taken to the infirmary, he was discharged within the hour, having been diagnosed with a mere headache. He played the second half and scored two tries, but was fed through a drip at the Grecians Ball.
darthmaul
Deputy Grecian

Post by darthmaul »

Paracetemol is the name of the game...

As for nurses, we still have 'em...

Not sure of their names, but we have Kate, Nicola and another one who I can't remember. Then we also have the Infirmary receptionist and the cook as well...

They're all quite nice really.
L. Fanthome : Pe.A (03-05) Gr.W (05-06)
Ruthie-Baby(old a/c)
Button Grecian

Re: Infirmary Nurses

Post by Ruthie-Baby(old a/c) »

Richard Ruck wrote:
Mid A 15 wrote: Legions of us used to troop to the sicker after breakfast for various treatments.
.......and try to stay at the back of the queue in order to miss part of the first lesson of the day.
All of that was exactly the same in my day. Then you had to get a 'pass' to show your teacher why you were late.

I never understood that if you got back during your 2nd lesson, you never showed it to your 1st period teacher.

One of the nurses was, unfortunately, called "the warty nurse". I'm only reporting history, not commenting on the political correctness. She had some kind of skin problem...
Ruth Tyrrell
Col B 90-97
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

she's still there afaik. Kate.

for a few years there was Ursula, every boy knew that one...

as for reverse queue jumping, ah, those were the days. not just for nurse apptmnts, ortho and dental too. possibly the only time in the school's entire history that a grecian would push a squit to the front of the queue.
Ruthie-Baby(old a/c)
Button Grecian

There was one that was quite nice in the late 90s.

She was small and had short dark hair. For some reason think her name might have been Rachel.

She didn't immediately give you paracetamol or a tubigrip, she actually thought there might be other treatments more appropriate. Difficult to imagine I know.
Ruth Tyrrell
Col B 90-97
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

In my day (I sound old) there was a few nurses, a head nurse (a sister?) Mrs Avenell (who was kind of in charge of the sicker) Jon the ambulance man, the dentist and the orthodontist...

The doctors came from Horsham Park surgery but the 'head' doctor for the school was Kazia(spl?) Isn't my quiche nice Noel Paton...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Ruthie-Baby(old a/c)
Button Grecian

Don't remember Mrs Avenall but the rest sounds familiar. I never really got a hold of who was in charge, there was lots of different doctors, they must have hated the place because I don't think any came back.

Kesia was scary too. The whole place was scary.

I remember us all queuing up for BCG jabs and after mine there was some blood on my shirt sleeve. The younger years (were you there Matt?) were still in the queue and looked very green at the sight of the blood. Why the whole school had to queue up at once, I don't know.
Ruth Tyrrell
Col B 90-97
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I can't remember you bleeding after a BCG jab...

they were scary though...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
sport!
Deputy Grecian

Post by sport! »

Lyn Hagen (?), married a Manual School teacher

Gorilla f..... - now she was lovely - jolly and motherly :)
BaB, ColB 1973-80
Ruthie-Baby(old a/c)
Button Grecian

The words 'jolly' and 'sicker' do not sit comfortably together, I feel
Ruth Tyrrell
Col B 90-97
darthmaul
Deputy Grecian

Post by darthmaul »

Great Plum wrote:In my day (I sound old) there was a few nurses, a head nurse (a sister?) Mrs Avenell (who was kind of in charge of the sicker) Jon the ambulance man, the dentist and the orthodontist...

The doctors came from Horsham Park surgery but the 'head' doctor for the school was Kazia(spl?) Isn't my quiche nice Noel Paton...
Yep, John's still there...and so is Mrs Avenell...
L. Fanthome : Pe.A (03-05) Gr.W (05-06)
Ruthie-Baby(old a/c)
Button Grecian

John was great, think he hated me for a while when I was absolutely revolting to him having got more drunk than was good for me, but I met him recently on Big Side and he was lovely.

He once carried me from Pe A upper dorn when I fainted, too!
Ruth Tyrrell
Col B 90-97
sport!
Deputy Grecian

Post by sport! »

Ruthie-Baby wrote:The words 'jolly' and 'sicker' do not sit comfortably together, I feel
quite right, though I don't ever remember feeling particularly ill on those occasions when I stayed there. There was a chicken pox "epidemic" in summer 74 and I was kept in to be on the safe side although I only had one or two spots......probably acne.......so that was quite jolly - reading, listening to music, playing snooker upstairs....
BaB, ColB 1973-80