New Rumour.. Senior girls to have yellow socks

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

99yorkpj
Deputy Grecian

New Rumour.. Senior girls to have yellow socks

Post by 99yorkpj »

A reliable source tells me that next year senoir girls are to have yellow socks. Equality for the boys or something like that. Just a rumour or true? How reliable is my reliable source?!
Supposedly, because senoir girls dont just wear the grey socks which were part of the initial agreement to not wearing the yellow socks when they came from hertford, but now wear black tights and 'pop' socks, it is no longer fair or true to the uniform.
2004-2006, Leigh Hunt B & Grecians' East.
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

We used to wear revolting beige socks at Hertford which went all crispy when they were dried on the big, cast iron radiators, so wearing grey tights was a huge improvement. But they didn't look very smart. Yellow socks just finish off the uniform so nicely! Did we have to wear yellow on official occasions (St Matt's Day, Lord Mayor's Show etc.)? I cannae remember.
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

well they should wear yellow socks really. the grey socks thing is barely 20 years old, and hardly tradition by CH standards.
darthmaul
Deputy Grecian

Re: New Rumour.. Senior girls to have yellow socks

Post by darthmaul »

99yorkpj wrote:A reliable source tells me that next year senoir girls are to have yellow socks. Equality for the boys or something like that. Just a rumour or true? How reliable is my reliable source?!
Supposedly, because senoir girls dont just wear the grey socks which were part of the initial agreement to not wearing the yellow socks when they came from hertford, but now wear black tights and 'pop' socks, it is no longer fair or true to the uniform.
Pip, you'd look lovely in yellow socks....

:D
L. Fanthome : Pe.A (03-05) Gr.W (05-06)
eloisec
Deputy Grecian

Post by eloisec »

cj wrote: Did we have to wear yellow on official occasions (St Matt's Day, Lord Mayor's Show etc.)? I cannae remember.
Yep, we did. But at least being in the band we didn't have to wear those horrible jabots (would have grated my reed in no time).
Eloise Carpenter
Col.A 87-94
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I think if you are going to wear any of the uniform you should wear the whole thing so everyone looks the same, is this not the definition of uniform?
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
eloisec
Deputy Grecian

Post by eloisec »

all senior girls wore the grey socks, so therefore all senior girls were 'uniform'?!

:wink:
Eloise Carpenter
Col.A 87-94
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

eloisec wrote:
cj wrote: Did we have to wear yellow on official occasions (St Matt's Day, Lord Mayor's Show etc.)? I cannae remember.
Yep, we did. But at least being in the band we didn't have to wear those horrible jabots (would have grated my reed in no time).
I thought all the girls wore jabots all the time for the first year or so, even for 'best'? YSFA (Yellow Socks For All), I say. You are never going to wear that colour any other time in your life. It's like, before you start school you should always have red or purple or green (or whatever) shoes because you spend the next 13 years of your life in boring black shoes. Uniform needs to be exactly that - uni form ie. one type. (Very glas I didn't have to wear breeches though!)

Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

From my memory, the girls wore grey socks on their seniors unless they were wearing 'best' when they wore yellow as well...

As has already been posted, the girls from Hertford objected strongly to the yellow socks and that is why a comprimise was made - maybe some of those who were at both schools can enlgihten us...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
99yorkpj
Deputy Grecian

Post by 99yorkpj »

Thanks Luke, but ceremonials is the only time I will happily wear yellow.

As a new dep I managed to escape yellow on the Juniors too- hehe. However I just feel sorry for all those seniors who wear grey socks/ tights at the moment who will have to revert to yellow. It's all very well looking back and talking about uniform, but I think when you have to actually wear it, then it's slightly different. Although seeing as the change will be made after i've left then I can't really complain!! (Although I think they were talking about bringing them in for the summer, but changed their minds to start from next sept.... But I wish they'd actually tell us, instead of just floating rumours!)
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

99yorkpj wrote:It's all very well looking back and talking about uniform, but I think when you have to actually wear it, then it's slightly different.
I did and my legs didn't fall off.

eloisec
Deputy Grecian

Post by eloisec »

cj wrote:I thought all the girls wore jabots all the time for the first year or so, even for 'best'?
I started CH in '87 and wore bands. Only wore jabots for ceremonial occasions with those horrible long skirts.
Eloise Carpenter
Col.A 87-94
99yorkpj
Deputy Grecian

Post by 99yorkpj »

eloisec wrote:
cj wrote:I thought all the girls wore jabots all the time for the first year or so, even for 'best'?
I started CH in '87 and wore bands. Only wore jabots for ceremonial occasions with those horrible long skirts.
I actually prefer the ceremonial skirts... they have a nice lining. Not so sure about the waist tho.. lol
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

eloisec wrote:
We did wear jabots all the time initially but for how long I don't remember. They were awful itchy things and a real health & safety hazzard in the chem lab.

I think we did wear yellow socks for "special occasions" & grey tights for everyday wear :?
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

well let us see.....

1) You could totally change the uniform of CH into a more modern one of tie, shirt, trousers /skirt and Blazer
2) Everyone wears the same as in the REALLY OLDEN Days - like them at the gates..
3) The school who have to wear the uniform get a vote themselves
4) we all stop moaning about uniforms as thankfully most of us no longer have to wear one!

Whatever they wear - the basic unifform of CH is never going to Change - it is what makes CH so totally Different.
Jude Comber (nee Kelynack) 5's 5.38 1975-1980 Herts.
To Learn - read, to Know - write, to MASTER - Teach