BROADIE BUCKLES

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

AndrewH wrote:
Richard Ruck wrote:The Maths buckle was around in my time. Never heard of the other two, though.

But as far as I can remember only one (either the oval one or one of the special ones) was worn.
That's right - I never saw two together.
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
Deb GP
Deputy Grecian

Post by Deb GP »

Great Plum wrote:We were some of the few who didn't get a silver buckle - they now give silver buckles out again...
RAGE! <logs on to e-bay to find one>

If they really are silver - are they hallmarked?
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

Deb GP wrote:If they really are silver - are they hallmarked?
Pretty sure they are - no idea where mine is so I can't check.
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Deb GP wrote:
Great Plum wrote:We were some of the few who didn't get a silver buckle - they now give silver buckles out again...
RAGE! <logs on to e-bay to find one>

If they really are silver - are they hallmarked?
they definately are silver - I know- it's not fair is it?
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
sport!
Deputy Grecian

Post by sport! »

Deb GP wrote:If they really are silver - are they hallmarked?
need magnifying glass.......but looks like Anchor/Lion/X on mine
BaB, ColB 1973-80
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I'll have to dig mine out and have a look.

I know my Mum paid a fair bit for it second-hand !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Mark1
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Mark1 »

well, i've three buckles at the moment, all legitimate: a maths buckle (the one you can't keep), a house captain buckle, and the normal one, all different designs...

In most cases, though, more than one buckle implies that someone is wearing one that they are not entitled to, if all of theirs are of the same design. Lots of seniors seem to end up wearing girdles anyway, through loss/misplacement of their broadie.

And concerning the 'introduction of buckles': the Maths (Travers) buckle seems like it's been around a while... it has 1724 on it (though I'm guessing that the original must have been replaced).
John Knight
Deputy Grecian

Post by John Knight »

Mark, (picking up on an old thread)

I notice a lot of people in school today wear their 'Broadie Buckles' at the back.
WHY? WHY? - Is it a 'Human Rights' thing?

Recently, somebody said that the buckle was a 'thing of beauty' (or something like that) and I have to agree. It really bugs me when I see it being worn at the back.
Perhaps I am being too old fashioned but, having been in uniform of one sort or another from the age of 11 to 55 (CH>RAF>BOAC>BA) then I think 'if you have to wear it, wear it correctly'.
I am very proud of the CH uniform, it is unique, let's keep it correct.

Sorry Mark, not getting at you, but just wondering if you can answer my question. I had to get that off my chest, perhaps the new Head Master will agree with me when he arrives.... :wink:
John.
Prep B 49 / Barnes B 39 - 1946-1952
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Well said John.

I noticed the reverse buckle syndrome on a recent visit to CH and admit, I found it somewhat 'insolent' !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Mark1
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Mark1 »

John Knight wrote:Mark, (picking up on an old thread)

I notice a lot of people in school today wear their 'Broadie Buckles' at the back.
WHY? WHY? - Is it a 'Human Rights' thing?
Well, your question is a fair one. It is the near absolute rule in present-day CH, rather than exception (or even act of rebellion) for buckles to be positioned at the back, and to do differently invites comment, at least for a while: I have grown so accustomed to Old Blues 'commenting' on it that mine now permanently resides at the front, but by doing this is definitely bucking the trend. To those not in contact with the older generation of Blues, having the buckle at the back is the correct tradition in itself!

I would be interested to hear from the moderately young old blues if they remember any transitional period when this changed (or evolved!)
John Knight
Deputy Grecian

Post by John Knight »

Mark1 wrote:Well, your question is a fair one. It is the near absolute rule in present-day CH, rather than exception (or even act of rebellion) for buckles to be positioned at the back,
<snip>
I would be interested to hear from the moderately young old blues if they remember any transitional period when this changed (or evolved!)
Thanks for the reply Mark,
If,as you say, it has become a tradition then I guess it is going to be very difficult to change. That is a pity....
I find myself looking at CH photographs, not at the whole picture but looking to see who has the buckle in the right place... is that sad or what?
Thanks again Mark.
(Please look after Gemma when she arrives in September)
Mark1
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Mark1 »

John Knight wrote:Thanks for the reply Mark,
If,as you say, it has become a tradition then I guess it is going to be very difficult to change. That is a pity....
I find myself looking at CH photographs, not at the whole picture but looking to see who has the buckle in the right place... is that sad or what?
Thanks again Mark.
Well, I'm sure I'll bump into Gemma during the Induction week, but by September I should be gracing pastures new... though not quite sure where, yet!
Mark1
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Mark1 »

John Knight wrote:Thanks for the reply Mark,
Thanks again Mark.
As you say, new 'traditions' are hard to break! I found myself consciously moving my buckle to the back for Twickenham (as is just about visible), on the grounds that consistency on that occasion was more important than 'correctness'... :roll:

I'm sure I'll bump into Gemma during the Induction week, but by September I should be gracing pastures new... though not quite sure where, yet!
Mark1
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Mark1 »

palgsm93 wrote:After a brief look through the CH Photos section, it seems that people began wearing their Broadies at the back sometime after 1986. When I started in 1993, it was certainly the norm… except for the 2nd formers, who had to wear their buckle at the front with much enforcement from the 3rd formers and L.E.!
Yes, that's still current practice.
John Knight
Deputy Grecian

Post by John Knight »

palgsm93 wrote:After a brief look through the CH Photos section, it seems that people began wearing their Broadies at the back sometime after 1986. When I started in 1993, it was certainly the norm… except for the 2nd formers, who had to wear their buckle at the front with much enforcement from the 3rd formers and L.E.!
If it was the other way round, where the 'juniors' had to wear the buckle at the back and as you became senior you 'faced the front' - then perhaps I could understand it a bit better.
But I still don't like it.... :(
John.

(Without going OT - Are there any 'House Photographs' out there from the Ladies who were in Barnes to add to the photo section?)