Films that were deemed ok to watch

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Well, if the thread has moved away from Films we were allowed to watch at CH - I remember my Dad wheeling me and my two younger siblings out of the local cinema (in about 1958/59) because one by one we kept on wanting to go to the loo to avoid the frightening scenes in 'Treasure Island'.....
OOhh That man with a hook instead of a hand!
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Cruella De Vil, she gave my brother nightmares.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Interesting that 'The Dambusters' film should be mentioned again.

I've seen it several times, and have always found it quite good for its age !

HOWEVER.........................

As an avid reader, including many books about WWII, it's very interesting to note that Guy Gibson was not actually the loveable cuddly person displayed by Richard Todd. A book I have recently read described him by many who served with him as cold, arrogant and totally un-approachable.

Co-incidently, when Douglas Bader was a prisoner in Colditz, he was allowed a batman because of his obvious disability. Stories abound about the ruthless tyranical way he treated the poor non-com given the job of looking after him.

Maker yer fink, dunnit ??
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
adlop
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by adlop »

School film.. there were some rotten films like Boys in Blue which starred cannon and ball and An Officer and a Gentleman. However I'm pretty sure we got to see Animal House at one point which made up for it. Think the films fell a bit in popularity when we could go into Horsham and rent videos.
SNAFU
2nd Former

Post by SNAFU »

daffers wrote:Thank you for the welcome, as you have noticed it's taken me a year to actually post something (and almost as long to work out how to reduce an image to the avatar size)
I don't understand what to do if you change the content of your post. For example I am seeing someone next week who is going to sit the CH exam and I wanted to be able to tell her what you can take to school if she gets in, as in personal objects (we were only allowed five objects on our locker tops and one teddy bear, which incidentally had it's pads slashed!) Also any other stuff that would be important to an eleven year old.
I can't remember much about 2's although Fanny does strike some distant chord, was she slim and scary with glasses? Looking back I don't think we had much interaction with other houses although I did have a friend in 2's called Catherine Lennox (Lenny) I think she came from Morpeth and left before sixth form.

Should that have been three different posts?
Do you really mean that you would encourage someone to start at CH ?