If you could

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

Fags were called swabs in my day - I must say that the thought of having Blondie as a swab would be interesting to say the least .......
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
Ruthie-Baby(old a/c)
Button Grecian

Post by Ruthie-Baby(old a/c) »

It was known as bokkering in Col B in the 90s rather than fagging - I didn't mind doing it as I believed I would be at the other end of it in a few years. Of course they stopped it by then so it was only when I was older I actually minded. One of the things we were made to do was roll joints for the Grecians...! I have to say, the Hertford Grecians were far more scary than the Horsham seniors!

Would I do it again? That's a really tough question. From the UF, without a doubt. Juniors, I don't think I could stand the mental abuse for another three years, assuming it would be the same.

Would I send my children? That depends on what it's like currently and if someone could convince me they wouldn't suffer those three years of abuse.
Ruth Tyrrell
Col B 90-97
eloisec
Deputy Grecian

Post by eloisec »

Ruthie-Baby wrote:It was known as bokkering in Col B in the 90s rather than fagging - I didn't mind doing it as I believed I would be at the other end of it in a few years. Of course they stopped it by then so it was only when I was older I actually minded. One of the things we were made to do was roll joints for the Grecians...! I have to say, the Hertford Grecians were far more scary than the Horsham seniors!

Would I do it again? That's a really tough question. From the UF, without a doubt. Juniors, I don't think I could stand the mental abuse for another three years, assuming it would be the same.
I don't know if it was the same in Col B as it was in Col A but I think my year tried not to be like the Grecians (yes some of the Hertford ones did seem particulary power happy) who delighted in treating junior years as though they meant little in the run of things. I certainly did. That's not to say I was ever that friendly to them as of course I had little in common with younger years, but I didn't treat them as some kind of skivvie.

There seems to be a theme developing of liking CH from the UF onwards. I wonder how current pupils feel at the moment and whether things have changed for the younger years.
Eloise Carpenter
Col.A 87-94
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

englishangel wrote:
icomefromalanddownunder wrote:Hi Mary

Your post really surprised me, as I haven't read any posts from you knocking the place, and I had the feeling that you were happy there.

Apologies for my lack of empathy. :)
Don't worry about it. I had serious attacks of 'Don't want to go back-itis' at the end of every holidays, particularly for my second year and then again for sixth form, but once back I got on with it though the restrictions in Sixth form really rankled as I was a mature person. I certainly lived by the 11th commandment then, greatly helped by my previous good behaviour which meant I was never eyed with suspicion.
I can fully understand that; it was a question of simple survival, living tom the next day, not getting put into hospital ......... One of the best ways was to keep your head down. If a grecian wanted to sod****e you take it "like a man" and don't complain or .....
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!