Best Quad Decor by the leavers?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

Good memory!

Gladding's mini was placed perpendicular to the normal direction of travel down the cloisters.....was quite a challenge that, not least to then get it back out the following morning....

The other thing you left out was the chain of juniors' breeches strung across the quad - the breeches having been pilfered from the dorms whilst they slept.....a particularly nasty one that if I recall!

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

The two references to the attempts to acquire a sheep worry me somewhat !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

jtaylor wrote:Good memory!

Gladding's mini was placed perpendicular to the normal direction of travel down the cloisters.....was quite a challenge that, not least to then get it back out the following morning....

The other thing you left out was the chain of juniors' breeches strung across the quad - the breeches having been pilfered from the dorms whilst they slept.....a particularly nasty one that if I recall!

J
I'm sure living in Maine B attached house at the time (I wasn't at the school until the following term) I remember hearing about that!
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
adlop
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by adlop »

In my last year - 1989 - we removed a large number of beds from dormitories and set up a dorm in the quad. We did something to celebrate the fact that we in Mid A had been the last intake to Barnes B, it invovled sheets, paint and climbing scaffodling but it got taken down by one of the estate workers. There was always a late night band march every year. Can't remember much else other than I didn't sleep for 3 nights.

We also had the obligatory mucking around with the last lunchtime march of the year, marching all over the quad (in step), through the band, up the cloisters etc
Paul N
3rd Former

Post by Paul N »

Sorry but I think this one takes the prize:

Remember those odd occasions where they used to rope off part of Little Side with white wooden posts and very long lengths of thick rope ?

Two of these pieces of ropes disappeared, and were for months hidden in the innards of someone's sofa. I think it may have been Sean Davis' put I can't be sure. A fair few people knew they were there but not why.

Come the final day:

The entire quadrangle covered in upside down plates from the dining hall, with those 5 foot tall wooden sign posts dotted around the quad, with signs on them saying "ACHTUNG MINEFIELD", and strung across starting at the Maths Block, then going up VERY high up Big School (possibly to the bell), then down again to the classics block, the two stolen ropes.

Hanging from the ropes, two of those very long towels from towel machines in the bogs, on which was written:

"I guess I'm just born funny....."

Marching past it all in the morning was hilarious !

I seem to remember someone once writing on the grass on Big Side "Baker is a W$&$&£* using weed killer.

Obviously the evidence only appeared weeks after the act....
Maine B, then Lamb B, 76-83
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Paul, I thank that one does sound like the best!
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

and these are the people who think that they are sufficiently responsible and sensible to be doctors, surgeons, military leaders sending others to their deaths, politicians leading (?misleading) the nation ........

so what will you do to the Palace of Westminster when Parliament breaks up?

'nuff said?
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Newman
2nd Former

Post by Newman »

When our year left in 2000 we managed to do a kind of 'best of' of many of the things you have already mentioned. We managed to rustle a sheep and get it in the quad - as Alice already mentioned - we played football with the miniature goals from littleside and also managed to steal a set of rugby posts which were then erected in the quad. Or at least decorously laid out. After that, we stole all the stuff from the childrens' playground and I have distinct memory of smoking weed in a wendy house and rocking on the seesaw at about day break. I think that may have something to do with why the other years' weren't allowed to do stuff the next time...
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

Newman wrote:I think that may have something to do with why the other years' weren't allowed to do stuff the next time...
Were we ever ALLOWED to do these things anyway!? :lol:
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I don't think so - but they are all barred from the Quad now!
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

Great Plum wrote: but they are all barred from the Quad now!
Do they take notice of this though?! Can't see peope taking too much notice being that they leave the next day!
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
Mark1
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Mark1 »

Vonny wrote:
Do they take notice of this though?! Can't see peope taking too much notice being that they leave the next day!
Well the threat of being forced to go home before the Leaving Service, Retreat, etc, carrys a lot of weight...
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

Mark1 wrote:
Vonny wrote:
Well the threat of being forced to go home before the Leaving Service, Retreat, etc, carrys a lot of weight...
Spoilsports.
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
Mark1
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Mark1 »

Exactly! Though they can't stop us plotting... :twisted:
You sort of feel an obligation to try to do something... :D
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

I'm not proposing anarchy here or anything, but could the powers that be actually manhandle you off the premises, out of chapel and off the quad during retreat if you were caught doing unmentionables? I know they have to be careful/protective, in loco parentis etc. and that scaling the water tower at 3am whilst bevvied up is not a brilliant idea, but when you've been holed up for 7 years, it's to be expected and a little creative thinking is surely to be encouraged. No?
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.