Dorothy Ruth West : RIP

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Katharine wrote:Mary, when I was there, the knee socks were only worn by those in the Junior Houses. Does your post mean that after the Junior Houses went, the juniors in ALL houses wore socks?
Yes all the second and third formers wore socks, unless you were tall/had big feet. Caroline was tall so I think she probably wore stockings as well.

1965/6 was the last year with a second form so it's possible that the following year everyone was issued with stockings, perhaps someone else can remember.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Bra's, knickers and suspenders ?

I did do panto once as an ugly dame, so I do have SOME experience.

(No comments Mary , perleeeez !)
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Mrs C. wrote:Is this the reason that junior girls wear yellow socks and senior girls grey socks or black tights now?
I`ve always wondered why, as there`s nothing different for the boys!
I always heard that the girls from Hertford refused to wear yellow socks and a comprimise was found... I don't know if there is any truth in this rumour...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
BTaylor
Deputy Grecian

Post by BTaylor »

Great Plum wrote:
Mrs C. wrote:Is this the reason that junior girls wear yellow socks and senior girls grey socks or black tights now?
I always heard that the girls from Hertford refused to wear yellow socks and a comprimise was found... I don't know if there is any truth in this rumour...
That's what I heard as well.
Thornton 85-92
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

BTaylor wrote:
Great Plum wrote:
That's what I heard as well.
I was there at the time of the merger and I never heard that rumour :lol: We did have to wear the socks for special occasions though. I remember being shown the first ideas for the girls uniform a couple of years before we moved. The jabot was another flash in the pan - they were so itchy and very dangerous in the chemi lab :shock:
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Yes, the yellow socks are still worn for dpecial occasions - as are the jabots!
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

Great Plum wrote: jabots!
We started off wearing them all the time - can't remember how long it was before they ditched them for everyday use.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

I can remember we used to discuss what the uniform would be if a merger ever happened. I think we favoured the Susannah look rather than the one adopted. For Horsham OBs, we had a wonderful portrait of a girl called Susannah Holmes, in mob cap and blue and brown (?) dress. What happened to the portrait? Did it go to Horsham?
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Katharine wrote:I can remember we used to discuss what the uniform would be if a merger ever happened. I think we favoured the Susannah look rather than the one adopted. For Horsham OBs, we had a wonderful portrait of a girl called Susannah Holmes, in mob cap and blue and brown (?) dress. What happened to the portrait? Did it go to Horsham?
The name rings a bell from my visit for the Maine A reunion back in May 2006. I think the picture now hangs in the museum which is in the "sicker" (infirmary).

Plum will probably know for sure or perhaps Mrs C.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Susannah! Stockings!

Post by Angela Woodford »

When I visited Horsham for my godson's confirnation, I'm happy to say that Susannah was hanging in an elevated position in the Dining Hall. I thought she looked a bit fed up, but otherwise OK!

My older daughter is called Susannah. And a very gorgeous girl she is too!

Hving just got back from planting 1,000s of tulips, I must briefly say, Liz, that, IMHO, the wonderful sexy advantage of stockings and suspenders is that one can be dressed and undressed at the same time!

Oh dear, am not fit to write a creative history of stockings right now,as fresh from Garden, but can! Liz, I remember you as divinely slender - remember that now we have Lycra - stockings that cling on the most fabulously slim legs!

Love

Munch
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Mid A 15 wrote:
Katharine wrote:I can remember we used to discuss what the uniform would be if a merger ever happened. I think we favoured the Susannah look rather than the one adopted. For Horsham OBs, we had a wonderful portrait of a girl called Susannah Holmes, in mob cap and blue and brown (?) dress. What happened to the portrait? Did it go to Horsham?
The name rings a bell from my visit for the Maine A reunion back in May 2006. I think the picture now hangs in the museum which is in the "sicker" (infirmary).

Plum will probably know for sure or perhaps Mrs C.
Yes, she lives in the dining hall these days...

isn't there some story about her?
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

We all fancied wearing the "Susanah" dress, and couldn't see why the boys were so favoured. The thought of that starched huge white collar/bib thing was a bit offputting
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

Great Plum wrote:isn't there some story about her?
Yes :D
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Vonny wrote:
Great Plum wrote:isn't there some story about her?
Yes :D

And the story is????????????????????

I did have a bit of a chuckle while reading DR's autobiography to find that some miffed inmate had lobbed a greasy floorcloth at Susannah, leaving a mark that was still visible.
Caroline Payne (nee Barrett)
Hertford 6.20 1965-70

Adelaide, dear Adelaide; where the water is foul, but the wines more than make up for it.
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

englishangel wrote:Yes all the second and third formers wore socks, unless you were tall/had big feet. Caroline was tall so I think she probably wore stockings as well.
Can't remember whether I wore socks at CH, but do remember the agony of exczema (hmmm, should there be a 'q' in there somewhere? lol) festering at the backs of my knees in the gap between where my socks stopped and my skirt started, while walking to primary school.

Suspender belts - oh the joy of wearing them. Inside liners/blues and risk losing the whole lot? Even though my hips should have been more than adequately large to keep the whole lot up, somehow (because stockings came in one length, so my suspenders were stretched to maximum capacity) everything worked it's way south. Nowhere near as attractive as Tim C's pins in Rocky Horror Show :lol:
Caroline Payne (nee Barrett)
Hertford 6.20 1965-70

Adelaide, dear Adelaide; where the water is foul, but the wines more than make up for it.