Do privileges still exist at CH?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I had the migraine.

I had thrown up on the way to town, outside McDonalds, then again on the way home. the kids thought it was great.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

englishangel wrote:I had the migraine.

I had thrown up on the way to town, outside McDonalds, then again on the way home. the kids thought it was great.
Don't you carry the 'magic-tablet' ?

I used to suffer migraine attacks. Started at school during 'O' Levels. My G.P. prescribed a pill I carried at all times. As long as I took one IMMEDIATELY the attack started, the actual effects were minimal.

Touch wood, (metaphorically speaking), I haven't suffered a serious attack for years.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

J.R. wrote:

I used to suffer migraine attacks. Started at school during 'O' Levels. My G.P. prescribed a pill I carried at all times. As long as I took one IMMEDIATELY the attack started, the actual effects were minimal.

Touch wood, (metaphorically speaking), I haven't suffered a serious attack for years.
I only get them while under stress. Haven't had one now for a long time.
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

J.R. wrote:

I started getting migraines when I was at primary school - had a fair few at CH and usually ended up being sent up t'inf at Hertford. I used to be sick withthem but these days I just get the visual disturbances and then have a head ache. I've b een given a few pills over the years but none were really any use. In fact thinking about it I haven't had one since I moved house & that was back in March so I'm well over due one :roll:
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
5h17shoveller
3rd Former

Re:

Post by 5h17shoveller »

sejintenej wrote:Masses of answers:

Yes, 9 years Great Plum.
Prep A from age 9 to 11 and then Col A.
Apart from moving up from Prep we didn't change houses. However there was a competitive intake at age 11 for those who could pay but de facto there was never to my knowledge any consideration or comment about parents' ability / inability to pay within the school; we were all in the same boat.
There was one case which did raise quite a bit of ire. In those days S level was as far ahead of A level as A was to O level; ie very very hard and a near guaranteed entry to Oxbridge. However Ashton in Col A got 3 S levels as well as heaven knows how many A levels and got turned down by all the universities he applied for. He stayed on to get a further 3 S levels - unheard of. It was put down by us to his religion - and after 6 years I didn't even know he was one until this came up. He must have been 20 when he left.

Archers - haven't heard it since 1961 (and don't want to!)

Marty; not a maths lover? I failed it at O level! I eventually ended up with 3 different O level maths exams - a total con if you add each one into the sum total and put that on CVs.

Hard? These were different days. There were two (ineffective) radiators in the dorm but the windows leaked cold air like a fire hydrant so winter nights were coolish. One school sheet and one school blanket (threadbare) plus, if you could afford it, one blanket of your own.
That after having to run over to Barnes Green in the snow (I don't think we normally went as far as Billingshurst) followed by a cold shower (no hot water). Believe it or not, Housie was, for me, more comfortable than outside.

You also have to remember that communications in those days were far worse than now. If you go to many places in the US even today, international news is what happens the other side of the State line. The ignorance of things European is almost incomprehensible - like the Yank who asked me in which state Eire is situated and another senior New York executive who thought that Morocco was somewhere in the south west USA.
In our day we might find our way around an atlas but there was pretty meagre foreign news "Terrible floods. No Englishmen killed" was all you might see of 1000 killed in India.

You don't miss what you've never had.

Hendrik; if you spoke French like that down my local ..... :? well, I wouldn't take you; looks like language teaching hasn't improved :wink:

To be fair, when we did A levels we were required to do:
2 periods a week of a new language not for exam and
2 periods a week Manual Shop (again no pressure)
One of my housemasters had been a professor in Seville and gave me Spanish to do in the back of German classes; got through O level oral in 9 months no problemo thanks to him. Missed written because I had to work abroad.
Dave you are my hero,

I have found someone who started CH younger than me and still survived.
Barnes A 45/ Lamb B 9 71-77
5h17shoveller
3rd Former

Re:

Post by 5h17shoveller »

J.R. wrote:TOAST ????????????

TELEVISION ???????????????

RADIO ?????????????????????

The nearest we came to any of these luxuries was around 1962, when the mini transistor came on sale. About a tenner if memory serves, (a lot of money in them days !)

In Col B we'd smuggle 'em in, with the standard ear-piece, and listen to good old Radio Luxenburg under the bed-clothes.

(Did Horace Batchelor ever win a fortune on the pools himself ??)
JR Is there a thread anywhere else about radio luxembourg / tv ,anywhere else as I dont want to look a prat if I start a new thread ?
Barnes A 45/ Lamb B 9 71-77
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: Re:

Post by J.R. »

5h17shoveller wrote:
J.R. wrote:TOAST ????????????

TELEVISION ???????????????

RADIO ?????????????????????

The nearest we came to any of these luxuries was around 1962, when the mini transistor came on sale. About a tenner if memory serves, (a lot of money in them days !)

In Col B we'd smuggle 'em in, with the standard ear-piece, and listen to good old Radio Luxenburg under the bed-clothes.

(Did Horace Batchelor ever win a fortune on the pools himself ??)
JR Is there a thread anywhere else about radio luxembourg / tv ,anywhere else as I dont want to look a prat if I start a new thread ?

Not as far as I'm aware !
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Re: Do privileges still exist at CH?

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

TOAST --- RADIO --- TELEVISION ---- ?

NONE of these were available to me ---- particularly not TV !!!! :lol:
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:TOAST --- RADIO --- TELEVISION ---- ?

NONE of these were available to me ---- particularly not TV !!!! :lol:
1955 - 1961; we had a radio in the day room which was on for about 30 minutes a day before prep. (other houses may have had different rules) and it was usually Radio Luxembourg . A few monitors had gramaphones but in about 1959 all records had to undergo examination and confiscation under new rules which banned all pop records and they banned RTL for the same reason.

Toast - for monitors after 9.15pm when everyone else had gone to bed. ISTR monitors may have had toast Saturday and Sunday afternoons if they had the time but were generally very busy. Remember that we were working all the hours that the good Lord gave (well, 7 days a week, up to 7 hours after supper and also early mornings) for A and S levels. I simply can't remember where the bread and flab came from - trades or swabs probably halfinched it from the dining hall.

TV - not at CH. I saw it on June 3rd 1953 and then not until December 1959 when I moved from deceased adopted parent to her employer.

We got one newspaper a day, chosen by vote. I still clearly remember the huge Page 1 headline in the Daily Sketch (being prehistoric my memory might just be wrong)
"The School which bans the Pops" (see above - ISTR it was another CMES - Clarence idea)

Of course in those days there were not the present electronic means of communications - was playing with the latest Apple book last night - big WOW even if I am married to Windows.

What you have never had you do not miss.

JR wrote:
Did Horace Batchelor ever win a fortune on the pools himself ??
I suspect he made a bit on the commissions just like the authors who make a bomb on their book entitled "how to make yourself irresistable to nymphomaniac women"##.
OTOH I actually made a tiny amount through him - just a few quid. I later used a variant of his "method" one evening at "the dogs" down at Romford at a do given by my wife's company. Won 1st on first 6 races then refused to bet on 7 and 8 (didn't meet the criteria) and 2nd on the last race. Her colleagues were a bit annoyed that I wouldn't recommend a dog for the races I didn't back.

## I don't know if anyone has published a tome with this name but you all can get the message

5h17shoveller (perhaps the name refers the rest of us as well :oops: ) referred to Radio Luxembourg:
Very popular in my days and succeeded by Radio Caroline etc. It gave us music which BBC didn't want to know about. It is still going - until I switched from analogue to digital I used to watch it many evenings for the German concerts.
I suspect that RTL and perhaps the North Sea transmitters, by ignoring the strictures on BBC, might have had a role which resulted in the import of the flower-power revolution and swinging sixties (though I never had the chance to swing :( :( :( ) Discuss
DavidRawlins
Button Grecian

Post by DavidRawlins »

I think Terence Bate Col A 1945 had a lot to do with Radio Caroline
Col A 1946-1953
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

Heating systems in dorms changed in late 80's when the boiler house was demolished. we moved from the 2 toroidal radiators to the "waistcoting" radiator (a 3'' galvanised pipe rising in centre of dorm and running to both ends before doing a U-bend and returning to meet in centre). No more sticking your roll in the radiator overnight to warm up. They were so ineffective you would get ice on a cup of water left by your bed and so they pioneered the orange convector heaters in I think Maine first.

Because i was in LHA as a senior and it had no real studies like an original senior house come my grecians i had the study that was the games store (i think originally boot room pre-60's) it had no low opening window so no fire escape so I had to sleep in dorms. It still had the galvanised pipe radiator and no curtains when i left in 1989.

if i remember rightly in our tie it was toaster & kettle (Burco) LE, cooker UF. In junior houses the box of house biscuits (plain) was dealt out 1/2 backet to 2nd & 3rd form packet to LE and UF junior house monitors took the rest plus the packs of nice biscuits (usually boubon / custard creams) that were on top of the box in a white paper bag when collected form the bread room. We also got house fruit once a week (again collected from bread room).

In senior houses it was a bit fairer although seniors at ends of dining tables always took the spare sausage etc if there were <14 on the table.

You were allowed you own blanket from 2nd form but own jumpers were UF and above below that you could get a Grey one from Matron. Grecians path was for Button Grecians only and I had trouble walking on it at intial assesment as it felt "wrong" to be on it as I never gained buttons.

Horsham was a UF & above privilege along with having a bike or umbrella

Lights out started at 9:15 and got 15mins later with each year up the school until Deps/grecians when you were trusted to be sensible but total quiet after 10pm
GozoGuru
2nd Former

Post by GozoGuru »

DavidRawlins wrote:I think Terence Bate Col A 1945 had a lot to do with Radio Caroline
Just ran across Davids' note. I ran Radio Caroline for the last two years, took the final audiences to more than 26 million a week, made a few pounds and moved the HQ in August, 1967 to Amsterdam. A great time in the UK - took the BBC by the scruff of the neck, showed them Radio '60's style and grabbed their audience! Moved on to freelance for Radio Luxembourg as the next adventure and the BBC hired all my disc jockeys for the new Radio One.
hunturk
2nd Former

Post by hunturk »

We have a few privileges. You aren't allowed into senior kitchen until you are in the UF and the same goes for visits into Horsham. Grecians path is reserved for Deps and above, but that gets abused all the time by everyone, me included. I can't really think of anything else, certainly not the whole toast thing.

On the topic of hierarchy, it is still alive and kicking, in some houses certainly more than others. In Peele A it is definitely there, but it is declining from when i first joined the school. In my squits you would never say anything to a older year for fear of some serious beatings. In my 3rd form it was the same. Except now we had someone below us which made a change. In my LE though the school took a harsher stance which meant that it became a pretty bad idea to be "not nice" to a younger year, and we had to endure lots of cheekiness. However, in my UF and GE years, juniors seemed to get the message and left us alone most of the time.

We can still commandeer food and other items and make juniors get out of their seats etc.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

hunturk wrote:We have a few privileges. You aren't allowed into senior kitchen until you are in the UF and the same goes for visits into Horsham. Grecians path is reserved for Deps and above, but that gets abused all the time by everyone, me included. I can't really think of anything else, certainly not the whole toast thing.

On the topic of hierarchy, it is still alive and kicking, in some houses certainly more than others. In Peele A it is definitely there, but it is declining from when i first joined the school. In my squits you would never say anything to a older year for fear of some serious beatings. In my 3rd form it was the same. Except now we had someone below us which made a change. In my LE though the school took a harsher stance which meant that it became a pretty bad idea to be "not nice" to a younger year, and we had to endure lots of cheekiness. However, in my UF and GE years, juniors seemed to get the message and left us alone most of the time.

We can still commandeer food and other items and make juniors get out of their seats etc.

That was virtually a 'hanging' offence in my day !!!
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

J.R. wrote:
hunturk wrote:We have a few privileges. You aren't allowed into senior kitchen until you are in the UF and the same goes for visits into Horsham. Grecians path is reserved for Deps and above, but that gets abused all the time by everyone, me included. I can't really think of anything else, certainly not the whole toast thing.

That was virtually a 'hanging' offence in my day !!!
Mine too!

It even felt like an act of extreme rebellion when I walked a short distance along it at the "40 Years On" Reunion last year!
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72