The infamous car park bogs

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

that's the place...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Hannoir
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hannoir »

I remember using Grange Hill bogs. Probably cos I had classes there.
"All I need to be happy is a little house with a small yard, a white-picket fence, some trees in the yard, and some of my enemies hanging on the trees."

-Poet, Heinrich Heine

BA/GrE 00-02
Paul N
3rd Former

Post by Paul N »

blondie95 wrote:ahhh where grange hill is!
I cannot believe they demolished the car park bogs in order to stick a load of portakabin classrooms in there. When I saw them I thought they were temporary rooms for builders or something - they are stacked on top of each other like some post apocalypse movie scene.
Maine B, then Lamb B, 76-83
Stan
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Stan »

Mid A 15 wrote:More lavatorial reminiscences!

viewtopic.php?t=441

Stan, are you Kevin Stanley? I think we were in Maine A together for a while if so. I'm Andy Miller.
I am Kevin Stanley but I was never in Maine A. My life started in LHA before moving to Mid A. If you look at the forum for school photos under Leigh Hunt you can see an old house photo which I posted. My younger brother was also there.
I do apologise for not recognising the name. As I stated in my photo posting there are people in my own house I can't remember. Probably explains why I wasn't an academic :(

Being a recent member has stirred those dim and distant parts of the brain that were forever CH. The more posts I read the more little things and people come back.

Its strange that after I left CH I kept in touch by playing for the OBRFC for a couple of years before that elapsed. I can't recall having been back to CH since I left in 1974.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Paul N wrote:
I cannot believe they demolished the car park bogs in order to stick a load of portakabin classrooms in there. When I saw them I thought they were temporary rooms for builders or something - they are stacked on top of each other like some post apocalypse movie scene.
The classrooms were put there as the Prep Block is being used as a 'decant' block for the boarding houses as each one was refurbished. They were only meant to be there for a few years. (They were erected in 2000) - I had a bet with a friend that they would still be there in 2010 - looking good so far!
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Stan wrote:
Mid A 15 wrote:More lavatorial reminiscences!

viewtopic.php?t=441

Stan, are you Kevin Stanley? I think we were in Maine A together for a while if so. I'm Andy Miller.
I am Kevin Stanley but I was never in Maine A. My life started in LHA before moving to Mid A. If you look at the forum for school photos under Leigh Hunt you can see an old house photo which I posted. My younger brother was also there.
I do apologise for not recognising the name. As I stated in my photo posting there are people in my own house I can't remember. Probably explains why I wasn't an academic :(

Being a recent member has stirred those dim and distant parts of the brain that were forever CH. The more posts I read the more little things and people come back.

Its strange that after I left CH I kept in touch by playing for the OBRFC for a couple of years before that elapsed. I can't recall having been back to CH since I left in 1974.
At least I was right about spending some time in the same House as you, just got the wrong House! :oops:

You obviously did know Ron Lorimer well then re my response to your comment on the favourite teacher thread.

I went back to CH in the year after I left as I had friends still there. The next visit was about five years after that to meet up with John Crisp, Mike Gleeson and Phil Turner, all of whom were in Mid A, one Old Blues day. I then took the Mrs there about a year or so later as we were passing only a mile or two away from the School. After that I didn't visit for twenty years or more. My most recent visit was the Maine A Reunion in May 2006. There were guys there such as John Crisp, Peter Farnfield, Tim Nicholson and Rick Moss who were also in both Mid A and Maine A. Some of those names might ring a bell with you.

Not sure what any of this has to do with Car Park Bogs but hey ho! :offtopic:
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Stan
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Stan »

From my short experience in this forum going off topic isn't that unusual.

I do recall John Crisp and Peter Farnfield. Correct me if I am wrong but Mid A used to be the house that provided the Drum Majors for the band and Peter and his younger brother were both drum majors. Good ones as well.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Stan wrote:From my short experience in this forum going off topic isn't that unusual.

I do recall John Crisp and Peter Farnfield. Correct me if I am wrong but Mid A used to be the house that provided the Drum Majors for the band and Peter and his younger brother were both drum majors. Good ones as well.
Not necessarily - Col A supplied the Beares, at least one of who tossed the mace over the bridge beside Big School.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Stan wrote:From my short experience in this forum going off topic isn't that unusual.

Mid A certainly provided all the drum majors during my time.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Mid A did when I was at CH as well...
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

Mid A when i was there although Tom Curtin was Peele B but was honorary!
Amy Leadbeater
BaB 2000-01, Gre W01-02

Check out my blog http://leadpencils.blogspot.com/
paddy
3rd Former

Post by paddy »

back on-topic...

I remember the outside of those bogs, but not the inside at all. So I doubt I ever went in. But I do remember that someone had done some entirely pointless graffiti, to change the word "GENTLEMEN" on the door into "GENTEEMEN".

So - wierdly, whenever I see a loo door with "GENTLEMEN" on it, a tiny corner of my mind says "GENTEEMEN" and a picture of those bogs flashes before my eyes. 25 years later!!!
cj
Button Grecian

Re: The infamous car park bogs

Post by cj »

John Knight wrote:
Paul N wrote:Who remembers the car park bogs ?
It was called 'The Pagoda' in my day... did that name carry on to the end?
Someone explain these names to me, please. I don't think I ever went in them, but given that I was in Col A, it wouldn't have been too difficult to run back to house if I was desperate (for a wee or a fag!). Were they intended to be used by visitors to the school?
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
John Knight
Deputy Grecian

Post by John Knight »

cj wrote:
John Knight wrote:
Someone explain these names to me, please.
The toilets were surrounded by a ring of evergreen trees (Leylandii?) in an effort to disguise what they really were.
In the 1940's the trees were quite young but tall and thin giving the appearance of towers. (I think this was the reason for the 'Pagoda' name)
Does anybody else remember this name?
Last edited by John Knight on Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prep B 49 / Barnes B 39 - 1946-1952
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

cj wrote:
John Knight wrote:
Someone explain these names to me, please. I don't think I ever went in them, but given that I was in Col A, it wouldn't have been too difficult to run back to house if I was desperate (for a wee or a fag!). Were they intended to be used by visitors to the school?
When they put in temporary classroom blocks in 2000 as prep block was bweing used as a decant house we nicknamed them grange hill as they were horrible cheap nasty temproary classrooms that 6 years on still stand! and the first floor still wobbles when you walk along it-very nerve racking the thought of going through the floor and ending up in the flemings classics/archeology classes
Amy Leadbeater
BaB 2000-01, Gre W01-02

Check out my blog http://leadpencils.blogspot.com/