Your mum on toast !

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Bob
2nd Former

Your mum on toast !

Post by Bob »

What the hell does/did it mean? I remember it was some kind of insult or retort. Was it only a CH thing or does anyone know of non-old blues who used it?
PeB 89, MaA 92-96
FrogBoxed
Deputy Grecian

Re: Your mum on toast !

Post by FrogBoxed »

Bob wrote:What the hell does/did it mean? I remember it was some kind of insult or retort. Was it only a CH thing or does anyone know of non-old blues who used it?
Hi Bob,

I remember this. It was a variation of the insult "Your mum". I certainly never heard it outside of CH, though.
Louise Barr Col B 89–96 | Frog Box Design
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I don't think I've ever heard it before !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

It was used a lot when I was there -no idea why though...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
qwerty
2nd Former

Post by qwerty »

I've heard it out side CH, (not your mum on toast, just variations of 'your mum') when I was at uni my friend from sheffield said that they said it in her school only they went down the 'your mum,' your dad,' your aunt,' your cousin' etc route. I remember hearing things like 'your mum's like robo cop she's had that many screws' and 'your mum's like bread you have to peel off the crust before she tastes good' at school. In Liverpool they say 'your ma's your da and your da's your ma' and 'your ma smokes rollies on the bog' lovely!
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

qwerty wrote:I've heard it out side CH, (not your mum on toast, just variations of 'your mum') when I was at uni my friend from sheffield said that they said it in her school only they went down the 'your mum,' your dad,' your aunt,' your cousin' etc route. I remember hearing things like 'your mum's like robo cop she's had that many screws' and 'your mum's like bread you have to peel off the crust before she tastes good' at school. In Liverpool they say 'your ma's your da and your da's your ma' and 'your ma smokes rollies on the bog' lovely!

Ahem, yes, er, well, I did wonder whether it referred to one's mother being spread on toast, as per a quaint (not) NZ description of females having margarine legs (easily spread), but I couldn't imagine Poms, let alone CH pupils, being so crude :shock: .
Caroline Payne (nee Barrett)
Hertford 6.20 1965-70

Adelaide, dear Adelaide; where the water is foul, but the wines more than make up for it.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

icomefromalanddownunder wrote:
qwerty wrote:I've heard it out side CH, (not your mum on toast, just variations of 'your mum') when I was at uni my friend from sheffield said that they said it in her school only they went down the 'your mum,' your dad,' your aunt,' your cousin' etc route. I remember hearing things like 'your mum's like robo cop she's had that many screws' and 'your mum's like bread you have to peel off the crust before she tastes good' at school. In Liverpool they say 'your ma's your da and your da's your ma' and 'your ma smokes rollies on the bog' lovely!

Ahem, yes, er, well, I did wonder whether it referred to one's mother being spread on toast, as per a quaint (not) NZ description of females having margarine legs (easily spread), but I couldn't imagine Poms, let alone CH pupils, being so crude :shock: .
Another expression I heard being used between two Early 20's girls in a bar recently who were discussing a former female class-mate.

"When she dies, they'll have to bury her in a 'Y' shaped coffin !"

Says it all really !!!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
adlop
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by adlop »

Fairly sure this started during my early years at CH. It did I think start from the comic traditon of insulting someones mother as qwerty says and got cut down to your mum then the 'on toast' was added for no apparent reason. I've not heard it say by anyone other than ch people or people associated with them.
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Was it not something to do with "The Mary Whitehouse Experience" on TV, in which David Baddiel and Rob Newman would appear as crusty academics having a debate which would always descend into childish name-calling ("that's your mum, that is!").....?

This show started in around 1990, I think.
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

Richard Ruck wrote: "The Mary Whitehouse Experience" ......
Would have been around then I guess. I went to see them twice and that was around 1991/2.
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
adlop
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by adlop »

Richard Ruck wrote:Was it not something to do with "The Mary Whitehouse Experience" on TV, in which David Baddiel and Rob Newman would appear as crusty academics having a debate which would always descend into childish name-calling ("that's your mum, that is!").....?

nope it was definitely around in my time and i left in 1989 so maybe they knicked it from us!
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

Yes, it was definitely used at CH well before it appeared on TMWE.
Last edited by cj on Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.