Barclay Hankin RIP

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

jdshippen
2nd Former

Barclay Hankin RIP

Post by jdshippen »

I have just heard from Mrs Lucy Foukes (Barclay's cousin) of his recent death. The funeral is to be at St Paul's Church, Chichester at 2.30 on Tuesday 13th March.
Barclay was a great stalwart who in addition to looking after Bill Kirby for many years, produced a series of splendidly straightforward books, all sold in aid of CH and other charities. He was particularly fond of CDT (Manual as it was then known) and Scouting when he was at CH and was very generous to both in his retirement.
He particularly requested that any money in his memory should go to CH: the funeral diectors are F.A. Holland, 4 New Parade, Cakeham Road, East Wittering, W Sussex through whom donatins should be channelled.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Re: Barclay Hankin RIP

Post by Mid A 15 »

jdshippen wrote:I have just heard from Mrs Lucy Foukes (Barclay's cousin) of his recent death. The funeral is to be at St Paul's Church, Chichester at 2.30 on Tuesday 13th March.
Barclay was a great stalwart who in addition to looking after Bill Kirby for many years, produced a series of splendidly straightforward books, all sold in aid of CH and other charities. He was particularly fond of CDT (Manual as it was then known) and Scouting when he was at CH and was very generous to both in his retirement.
He particularly requested that any money in his memory should go to CH: the funeral diectors are F.A. Holland, 4 New Parade, Cakeham Road, East Wittering, W Sussex through whom donatins should be channelled.
I never met him but I do recall reading about some of his fund raising activities in previous editions of The Blue.

Very sad news.

RIP
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

A very sad loss.
I met him at Old Blues a couple of years ago and immediately warmed to him - I bought a copy of his latest book, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

He was a cracking chap, interesting to chat to, and also embodied "The Charge" impecably...

Julian
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

Sad news about Barclay and I hope we can get a good obit for the next OB.
Remarkable character who just would not stay still.
My first recollection was at a CH Club AGM, where he had a point to make, and despite being told that it had already been covered, insisted on being heard. (Someone lent across to me and said"He's over 90 and we're used to him, just hear him out and then we can get on."
He wrote a poem for the MCC about the pitch at Lords, and got it published somewhere, (I have a copy somewhere), did his book about CH and was always anxious to do his bit, especially for CH.
What they used to call "A Real Character"
I was looking forward to seeing him again in June, but will just have to do him justice in the OB.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
Foureyes
Grecian

BARCLAY

Post by Foureyes »

May I join the tributes to Barclay? His life was devoted to a perceived debt to Housie, which was, in fact, repaid many times over. His recent book on memories of Housie was typical of the man - idiosyncratic, but covering a wide field, full of information and fun - all-in-all, what the critics refer to as "a jolly good read." Its production was entirely paid for by Barclay - I know the figure but he asked me not to pass it on, so I won't - but it was susbtantial and he then gave ALL the proceeds to Housie.

There is an expression - "gentleman of the old school" - which is very difficult to define, but anyone who met Barclay knew that, whatever it meant, he was one.

David Miller
Lamb B 1948-55