Would you send a child of yours to CH?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Would you send a child of yours to CH?

Of course
43%
Only now it's changed
14%
Only if it was the same as when I was there
14%
No way
30%

Total votes: 37

englishangel
Forum Moderator

Would you send your kids to CH.

Post by englishangel »

24 is not a very big sample and probably anyone on here is here because they have fond feelings. I am one of the 20% who voted 'no way'. I wanted to go when I went but I would never send a child of mine to boarding school. (Academic now anyway as rhey are 16 and 19 but it was not something I entertained at the time).
TA
2nd Former

Post by TA »

Maybe it's because I have the good fortune to live abroad, which widens ones views, and because boarding schools basically do not exist here but I notice that no one ask's the questions: do we know that the CH enviroment is correct for our child and why do we have children if we want to send them away from home ?
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

TA wrote:Maybe it's because I have the good fortune to live abroad, which widens ones views, and because boarding schools basically do not exist here but I notice that no one ask's the questions: do we know that the CH enviroment is correct for our child and why do we have children if we want to send them away from home ?
It's my girlfriend's arguement for not sending any children we have toa boarding school...

my argument is the great time I hadat CH and that I want my children to have the best chances at school, something which I think CH gave me - whether it will in 20 years time, I don't know...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

I would say that I had far greater opportunities at CH than I ever would have had at home - partly due to the facilities on-offer, but also the committment of the staff and being around your friends 24/7.
I also felt that it enhanced my relationship with my parents - I appreciated them more when I saw them - and I developed my self-confidence and independence earlier than I would have otherwise.
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
TA
2nd Former

Post by TA »

You may have had a good time, the school may have helped your character, but how can you be sure it will do that for your child ?

It's strange that so many parents sent children to CH " for the good of the child " that child would have presumably gladly been at home with his /her parents. To be honest my view is that anyone who sends a child away at such a young age is obviously not qualified to be a parent.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

TA wrote:You may have had a good time, the school may have helped your character, but how can you be sure it will do that for your child ?

It's strange that so many parents sent children to CH " for the good of the child " that child would have presumably gladly been at home with his /her parents. To be honest my view is that anyone who sends a child away at such a young age is obviously not qualified to be a parent.
What if the child wanted to go?

I didn't want to go anywhere else...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
ben ashton
Grecian

Post by ben ashton »

i chose to go to CH myself, partly to get away from parents!

"obviously not qualified"?
Cherish pity; lest you drive an angel from your door

LaB 1, MidB 40, 97-02
TA
2nd Former

Post by TA »

jtaylor wrote:I would say that I had far greater opportunities at CH than I ever would have had at home - partly due to the facilities on-offer, but also the committment of the staff and being around your friends 24/7.
I also felt that it enhanced my relationship with my parents - I appreciated them more when I saw them - and I developed my self-confidence and independence earlier than I would have otherwise.
But where are your freinds fom home that you met before joining CH ?

Where are your roots ?

Don't get me wrong. CH is presumably fine for some..however we can never be sure which children will " survive " there. I am proud of the school I am proud to have been there, but for me it was a disaster.
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

I certainly wanted to go, having seen how much my brother loved it. I got into two other local public schools, and although my parents could really have afforded to pay for either, they gave me a genuine choice - there was no choice, CH without hesitation!
To be honest my view is that anyone who sends a child away at such a young age is obviously not qualified to be a parent.
I would question the comment about not fit to be parents - this assume that the child is SENT AWAY - a very negative view of it.
Perhaps it's actually the parent being hugely selfless in their choice - my parents missed us both hugely, and agonised at length before "sending" my brother to CH........

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
ben ashton
Grecian

Post by ben ashton »

I got into London Nautical and another local school, my dad actually wanted me to stay at home!
I made far more friends at CH than I would have at home..

LaB 1, MidB 40, 97-02
TA
2nd Former

Post by TA »

remember in the late sixties early seventies CH was a fairly barbaric place. I still fail to read one viable arguement for sending children away. The " I had a good time " arguement is not viable.
ben ashton
Grecian

Post by ben ashton »

looks good on the CV?!

LaB 1, MidB 40, 97-02
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

ben ashton wrote:looks good on the CV?!
Yeah, guess it does - but keep having to explain to people that it "wasn't one of those types of public schools"

I think that going to a public school can be a real negative in some circles, depending on the job/environment you're on. I'm sure that very few people in my company went to public school, let alone boarding..

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Deb GP
Deputy Grecian

Post by Deb GP »

Isn't it a bit self righteous to assume that people who "send away" their kids are unfit parents? I know my relationship with my olds was better for having not been at home with my parents for more than two weeks at one go since the age of 13.

As for being "sent", firstly the alternative schools were rather inadequate and secondly I'd read too many Enid Blyton books not to want to try the adventure of boarding school for myself.

Roots are where you put them and let them grow. It's a mindset - not a place IMO. Now that I'm married, I don't see my "roots" at my parents house anymore - especially as they've moved from my childhood home. Yeah - there's a fondness and all that, but I can't get nostalgic about it.
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

(BaA 88-95; Foundation Staff 99-02)
ben ashton
Grecian

Post by ben ashton »

do kids still read Enid Blyton these days?!

LaB 1, MidB 40, 97-02