HOUSEY SLANG

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Spoonbill
Deputy Grecian

Re: HOUSEY SLANG

Post by Spoonbill »

Avon wrote:

But don’t let that get in the way of the massive chip you bear and your one man crusade to subvert every thread across to class war.

Did Rockfreak invent Right To Roam, then?
gneuss
2nd Former

Post by gneuss »

John Hopgood wrote
As a Ba B contemporary of Keibat, I can only remember Flab and Kiff. His memory is obviously better than mine, so maybe he remembers where my nickname came from, which I inherited from Michael Hilliard, I think. My brother inherited from me.
I'm a BaB contemporary of Keibat and John too. Kiff (as in kiff bowl) and flab were in daily use. Strangely enough I do remember crug as being bread but I don't think we actually used the word routinely. I remember my mother being horrified when I referred to acne as "shagspots".
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I know I have referred to this in the past, but a few years back, I attended a Coleridge B reunion, by then of course a girls house. Several of 'old codgers' were sitting in the day room talking to some of the Col B Girls. They produced a CH Housey Slang book. and wanted to know if we actually ever used such words as Flab etc.

The fact that housemasters could actually use corporal punishment astonished them.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Anyone else watch 'Endeavour' last night?

Plenty of references to 'squits.'

Maybe Roger Allam (Chief Inspector Thursday in the programme) had a say in the script.
Last edited by Mid A 15 on Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Never been a fan of "Endeavour" or "Morse, I'm afraid.
Jabod2
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Jabod2 »

I think it was Roger who pushed the limit of Pongo's (limited) lattitude by declaiming/'spoonerising' 'Give us hearty thanks' at Grace at a time where there was a competition to see who could get away with what. His voice was notable then. Other tricks were reading it as fast as possible, or having the 'reader' miming with someone speaking from below.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Jabod2 wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:03 pm I think it was Roger who pushed the limit of Pongo's (limited) lattitude by declaiming/'spoonerising' 'Give us hearty thanks' at Grace at a time where there was a competition to see who could get away with what. His voice was notable then. Other tricks were reading it as fast as possible, or having the 'reader' miming with someone speaking from below.

Unfortunately, just after my time, but it must have hilarious !!
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Mid A 15 wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:25 am Anyone else watch 'Endeavour' last night?

Maybe Roger Allam (Chief Inspector Thursday in the programme) had a say in the script.
Squit or squirt? Squirt is slang used outside CH and has a similar meaning
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

sejintenej wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:30 am
Mid A 15 wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:25 am Anyone else watch 'Endeavour' last night?

Squit or squirt? Squirt is slang used outside CH and has a similar meaning
My hearing is not the best but it sounded like 'squit' to me. As I said there were plenty of references and even I wouldn't have misheard it that many times!
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Kit Bartlett
Deputy Grecian

Post by Kit Bartlett »

"Fotch" was a blow to the head usually administered by more senior boys to their juniors. I don't recall this being used by masters against boys who generally used a slipper or cane. Was corporal punishment ever done on the hand ?
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Kit Bartlett wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:58 pm . Was corporal punishment ever done on the hand ?
Not at CH to my knowledge but my primary school teacher loved using her ruler.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

sejintenej wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:38 am
Kit Bartlett wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:58 pm . Was corporal punishment ever done on the hand ?
Not at CH to my knowledge but my primary school teacher loved using her ruler.

Same as that, David. I was lucky enough to pick up my 'times-tables' quickly enough in primary school, not to get my knuckles rapped.
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

There was a programme on television on corporal punishment last night John. Strangely they neglected to mention our old housemaster. And they only touched briefly on the sado-masochistic side of things. Le Vice Anglais was always thought to be the result of young upper class people being sent to single sex institutions and being roundly beaten for minor misdemeanors. Mind you, given the runaway success of Fifty Shades of Grey I wonder whether this isn't perhaps a wider phenomenon than we think. Elsewhere on the site some of the girls have said they resented their punishments at Hertford - in some cases being condemned to be silent for ten minutes: a draconian punishment for a woman.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

rockfreak wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:44 pm . Elsewhere on the site some of the girls have said they resented their punishments at Hertford - in some cases being condemned to be silent for ten minutes: a draconian punishment for a woman.
That is a common punishment in a local primary school even today (Oh, and that is in a corner facing the wall and realising that anything could happen behind your back)
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

rockfreak wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:44 pm Elsewhere on the site some of the girls have said they resented their punishments at Hertford - in some cases being condemned to be silent for ten minutes: a draconian punishment for a woman.
I haven't got time to trawl this forum for reports of punishments at Hertford but I do think your last phrase a draconian punishment for a woman belittles your argument and is extremely sexist, I thought better of you, David.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965