HOUSEY SLANG

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Kit Bartlett
Deputy Grecian

Re: HOUSEY SLANG

Post by Kit Bartlett »

I can remember the punishment of ten or more minutes silence being imposed for the whole Prep A day room for some misdemeanour or other by an individual, probably very minor. Naturally the follow up retribution by other boys on the person concerned was probably a worse punishment.
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

We seem to have wandered from the original topic, but...

In my junior school, when we got caught hiding in the toilets rather than go in to lunch, (so that we had the whole playground for football), we were smacked behind the knees, as somewhere not immediately visible. Unfortunately for the teacher, one boy's skin was so white that the handmark still showed the next day.

I have no recollection of any other physical punishment.

When a dorm monitor in Barnes B, the most effective deterrent was to have the whole dorm sit on their settles for half an hour facing the wall. Someone was crawling around under the beds, and no-one would own up, hence the mass punishment. Never had another problem.

The dayroom monitor used to give about 70 punishments a term for minor misdemeanours.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

Katharine wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:12 am
rockfreak wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:44 pm Elsewhere on the site some of the girls have said they resented their punishments at Hertford - in some cases being condemned to be silent for ten minutes: a draconian punishment for a woman.
I haven't got time to trawl this forum for reports of punishments at Hertford but I do think your last phrase a draconian punishment for a woman belittles your argument and is extremely sexist, I thought better of you, David.
Sorry Katharine. It was intended as a wind-up and is typical of the humour of old farts of my generation. Or maybe not! I don't actually feel that way. Please ignore.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Apology accepted.

At least it let you know that I still read the forum, even though it has a Horsham bias!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

rockfreak wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:44 pm There was a programme on television on corporal punishment last night John. Strangely they neglected to mention our old housemaster. And they only touched briefly on the sado-masochistic side of things. Le Vice Anglais was always thought to be the result of young upper class people being sent to single sex institutions and being roundly beaten for minor misdemeanors. Mind you, given the runaway success of Fifty Shades of Grey I wonder whether this isn't perhaps a wider phenomenon than we think. Elsewhere on the site some of the girls have said they resented their punishments at Hertford - in some cases being condemned to be silent for ten minutes: a draconian punishment for a woman.

I thought both the book, AND the film were utter cr@p.

I can remember in my last year discussing cane beating with a new young 'progressive' master.

His closing words on the subject was, "Of course, there are many Peers of the Realm prepared to pay good money for the experience !!"
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

Back on subject.

What happened to the Bolio's, Fobbed (or was it Fudged) Bands, or Skiffage?
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

jhopgood wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:55 pm Back on subject.

What happened to the Bolio's, Fobbed (or was it Fudged) Bands, or Skiffage?
I remember skiffage, (food-waste), and fudged bands, (pre pinned and ready to tuck into coat collar) basically, to save time.

Was bolio the sort of pillow we had to put up with ?? Memory fading with age, I'm afraid.
gneuss
2nd Former

Post by gneuss »

J.R. wrote
Was bolio the sort of pillow we had to put up with ?? Memory fading with age, I'm afraid.
Pillow is one word for it - rock is a better description.
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

gneuss wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:11 pm J.R. wrote
Pillow is one word for it - rock is a better description.
Two rocks either side of the head, like ear muffs.
I slept without a pillow for years because a bolio was worse than useless
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

Things resembling bolios (hard cylindrical pillows) are common in Germany. They're called 'Nackenstützen' (neck-rests or 'neck-supports') and many people swear by them.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
gneuss
2nd Former

Post by gneuss »

Michae Scuffil wrote,
Things resembling bolios (hard cylindrical pillows) are common in Germany. They're called 'Nackenstützen' (neck-rests or 'neck-supports') and many people swear by them.
Maybe that is where the word "knackered' comes from as they were excellent at preventing a sound night's sleep and I guess many of us didn't swear by them but swore at them.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

michael scuffil wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:51 am Things resembling bolios (hard cylindrical pillows) are common in Germany. They're called 'Nackenstützen' (neck-rests or 'neck-supports') and many people swear by them.
And there was me thinking that meant "Crushed Nuts" !!
keibat
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by keibat »

Cathcing up after an absence, I came across John Hopgood's contribution:
As a Ba B contemporary of Keibat, I can only remember Flab and Kiff. His memory is obviously better than mine, so maybe he remembers where my nickname came from, which I inherited from Michael Hilliard, I think. My brother inherited from me.
Hillard, I think, not Hilliard: Michael John, from Thames Ditton (I once visited their lovely riverside bungalow!) Sadly, my memory lets me down – I remember Michael, but can't dig up the nickname in question. With a Hillard, a Hopgood and another Hopgood, I wonder if it was aitch-related? And it may of course have been inherited by Michael from Times Immemorial.

I wonder if by John's days fotching [a clip over not the ear but the side of the upper head] had disappeared? I do recall it from my Prep days, but possibly not any more after moving Up to Barnes B.

The bolios, of course, matched the straw mattresses, stripped and made to stand in an arch every morning to air after a ? sweaty night. I have a vague recollection of having found another version of the word bolio to refer to a pillow-like object, maybe in the darker recesses of the OED or Partridge's groundbreaking Dictionary of Slang and Unconventional English, but sadly, can't now retrieve it [a disappointment-smiley would be appropriate here, but doesn't seem to be in the Forum's palette?]
gneuss
2nd Former

Post by gneuss »

Keibat wrote
Hillard, I think, not Hilliard: Michael John, from Thames Ditton (I once visited their lovely riverside bungalow!) Sadly, my memory lets me down
It was Hillard. Amazing thing about memory is how sometimes you can remember the most trivial of facts and forget the simple things. I bet John Hopgood never knew that he and Michael Hillard shared the same telephone number. John's was Mottingham 3373 and Michael's was Thames Ditton 3373. I only remember that because I was friends with both of their sisters at the same time!!
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

John's was Mottingham 3373 and Michael's was Thames Ditton 3373. I only remember that because I was friends with both of their sisters at the same time!!

Hope you didn't get the numbers mixed up, then...
Th.B. 27 1955-63