Bumping into the Band - a St Matthew's Day blog

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Bumping into the Band - a St Matthew's Day blog

Post by DavebytheSea »

I came across this on the web and thought I would share it. It made me smile. :)

Friday, 21 September 2007, on the way to the Eidolon trio at St Anne & St Agnes.

It was rather fun coming to this lunchtime concert. Just as I was getting close to the church, still a few metres off the Gresham Street junction, a good deal of noise, people and police motorcycles announced that something interesting was afoot. The police bikes stopped the traffic (which I bet was thrilled to bits) and into view hove a marching band. Not just any band, but the band of Christ's Hospital: what was afoot, it seemed, was something along the lines of some ancient right to process through the City of London. Pending looking it up, I'm guessing they do this once a year on Founders' Day, or something, perhaps before or after a service at St Paul's or some other pleasant and impressive venue. On a yet wilder guess, it looked like maybe the whole school was marching: if not, it must certainly have been a goodly proportion thereof (see update below).

Ah yes, I should have said, for readers unfamiliar with the terminology: Christ's Hospital is not a hospital in the general, current sense of the word, but a school. It's a bluecoat school, like the one in Bristol to which I went: indeed the latter, Queen Elizabeth's Hospital, was modelled on Christ's Hospital. So I felt some interest, or sympathy, or something, as they marched past.

One thing by which I was completely gobsmacked as the march passed us was the presence of girls. GURLZ! Girls in bluecoat uniform!! Talk about having your world shaken. And while I had naively assumed at first that this was a new(ish) initiative it is clear from a little reading that it isn’t: the sentence “The first boys and girls entered the School in Newgate in 1552” is perhaps a bit of a pointer in this direction. Ha! – they may have modelled QEH on Christ's Hospital when they opened it in 1590 but they seem to have forgotten the bit about girls, or at least they certainly had by the 20th century, chiz! QEH could’ve been a load more fun, I feel. Sigh, and a very muted arooooo on behalf of the Vogel of ~35 years ago! (Not, I hasten to add, that there was anything wrong with our “Special Relationship” with Red Maids; nor yet with my Special Relationships with Red Maids, La Retraite, Colston Girls, Redland High et al. Indeedy not. But even so …)

Before I leave this troubling yet oddly fascinating topic I should add that the bluecoat uniform for the girls I saw in the march is slightly adapted and it’s an interesting idea. If you haven't already followed a link to see what a bluecoat student looks like, you might want to, but essentially they look a bit like an insane Renaissance lay clerk on day release from the Laughing Academy. Since it already looks like you're wearing a rather fetching long dress one might wonder what girlie adaptations you could possibly do but it turns out it's just at the neck. Traditionally the bluecoat "hi, I'm bonkers - or possibly a time traveller" look is topped off exquisitely with broad, plain, white linen "bands" which are stuck in at the neck and which dangle a bit down your front in an inverted-V shape for a touch of C16 clerical chic.

(Whenever I think about this item of kit I'm seized by a strange urge to chant "I am the judge, I am the judge, everybody knows that I am the judge." Exactly why this is, or indeed whether there are tablets that might help, is data which, I'm sorry Dave, is not accessible at this time. But I digress, yes by Heaven I do digress! I am, like, DigressoMan!! Woo! And now back to your Core Module.)

Well, the girlification of the uniform I saw consists of replacing the linen bands with little lace ruffle things so that - on a brief glance anyway - it looks like they're wearing a little white lacy flower at the neck. I can't quite make up my mind whether this is quite a cute touch or a bit naff, though I think I'm leaning more towards cute at the moment. It would be interesting to know how the historical or traditional precedent works and whether that’s a 1552 touch, or what. Of course I may have totally (as usual) got it wrong and it will turn out that what I saw is actually the special Senior Prefect Ruffles, or it was the Captain of Hockey's Community Award, or the Lacemakers’ Scholarship winner's badge or something. If you know, do write and enlighten me.

The other thing that made me go "uh?" a bit was the sight of a marching or military or wind or something band - a rather good band, actually - leading the parade in bluecoat uniform. Again it might just be that I've bounced into a hitherto-unexplored zone of conservatism in my mind, but this was quite a surprise – QEH just never did this. They did process occasionally down to, I don't know, St George's or the Lord Mayor's Chapel or wherever, but music on the hoof wasn't part of this as far as I recall. The only times I've performed music dressed like that - mercifully few times, I should add - it's been classical and/or religious: sit-down stuff, or maybe stand-up. But not walkabout!

I can't really isolate why this seemed so odd, other than the novelty. I suppose some little voice in me is yelling that they should've at least been marching with crumhorns and racketts and playing something catchy (aha) by Dowland, rather than with saxes and doing Star Wars or whatever. But this doesn't stand up to close examination. In fact it doesn't really stand up much at all ... oh well. I think what really finished me off was that the band had at least one bass drummer, and, being the bass drummer in a military-type band, he naturally had on one of those colourful (mock leopardskin?) apron things that go miles down your front. On top of a bluecoat uniform!! Whatever other problems my elderly perceptions might be having with this whole thing, please don't try telling me that that's anything other than just weird, however you slice it and dice it. Imagine someone wearing, say, a bishop's mitre and a wetsuit, or maybe a police uniform together with ballet pumps and a trilby. Yes, roughly that weird. Ah yes, I've just (as noted before) found it on the school's website - this photo gallery of the event does indeed depict such drummers, along with drum-major-type people with maces, and saluting, and stuff. Definitely weird for an ex-QEH person to see.

As you can no doubt tell I was intrigued by this whole display, so seemingly familiar and yet so different from what I thought I knew. Of course, it made a wonderful spectacle anyway and like lots of other people I stood and watched the procession pass and indeed ate my sandwich crunch yum. With a nice chap who was standing beside me I carried out the Ritual of all the Traditional Statements which it is Customary for Passersby to make to Each Other on such Occasions viz:

Well that's not something you see every day

Makes a change from the usual lunchtime

My word, that van driver seems displeased (or some paraphrase thereof)

Well, must be getting back/on/etc (to reword as required)

And a very good afternoon to you, sir or madam.
And so saying, went peaceably on my way to the delights of SS A&A's fabulous concert. What a great lunchtime diversion!
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

Very entertaining David! Did he think the girls were wearing breeches, or didn't he realise that's what the boys were wearing?

Maggie
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

Fascinating! Where did you come by it?
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

A lovely piece of writing by an outsider - how others see us. Thank you for sharing it.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I assume it's a blog. I wonder if he can be contacted and point out to him that the band plays at Twickenham, Lords, (or was it the Oval?) the Rose Bowl etc.

I suppose that the whole caboodle must seem a bit odd to an outsider, but it is obviously odder still to someone "so close and yet so far away"
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

I'm aware I know almost nothing about the other bluecoat schools, but the Queen Elizabeth's Hospital uniform looks very "housey" like - do they wear EXACTLY the same coat? Or, do they no longer wear it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_Eliz ... s_Hospital
J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

"It is modelled on Christ's Hospital, at that time located in London and to this day shares the same distinctive Tudor blue coat uniform - though currently the uniform is only worn by boarders and choir members on special occasions."

An extract from, erm, the Wikipedia link you posted, Julian!
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

By the way, that Strawberry Yoghurt blog is excellent. I don't normally look at blogs, but his is very entertaining.
cj
Button Grecian

Re: Bumping into the Band - a St Matthew's Day blog

Post by cj »

DavebytheSea wrote:Friday, 21 September 2007, on the way to the Eidolon trio at St Anne & St Agnes.
And by a massive coincidence, one of my words on the 'free rice' website was eidolon. I think I have just entered the Twilight Zone.

His blog was a very entertaining read. Maybe he might find us on the web. We could answer some of his questions and forge a link with another bluecoat institution.
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Good spot David!
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Foureyes
Grecian

BLUECOAT SC HOOLS

Post by Foureyes »

Julian says:
I'm aware I know almost nothing about the other bluecoat schools...
There's another one at Reading, which I know of because I gave a lecture there some years ago. Its name is "Reading Bluecoat School" but it was founded in, I beleive, the mid-19th century. Their normal dress is normal dress, if you see what I mean, but they wear a bluecoat uniform similar to that at Housey on special occasions (which did not include my lecture!).

There is also one in Manchester - Chetham's/Cheetham's - something like that.

I can remember finding in the Housey Library one of those huge Victorian books with watercolour illustrations, which was devoted to Bluecoat Schools. Although it was a long time ago now, I recall that there were some 40-50 included in the book.

Anyway, there may be other bluecoat schools, but there is only one Bluecoat School!

:shock:
Foureyes
Grecian

BLUECOATS

Post by Foureyes »

Julian,
Further to my last, now you have really got me started! There was/is a Blue Coat school at Warrington and another in Nottingham. There are also Bluecoat/Blue Coat streets in a number of cities and towns (including I noticed on Monday, Exeter) , which were, presumably, once the site of such schools. Afternote: See http://www.exetermemories.co.uk/EM/_art ... hp#Blueboy

Come to think of it, there may be a book in here, somewhere!

There was also the famous Operation Bluecoat during the campaign in Normandy in June/July 1944. And there is a Bluecoat Gin made in the USA. And......

:shock:
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

I've also seen a reference to a bluecoat school in Barnstaple, North Devon - a plaque on a wall situated behind the Argos car park, I think. midget might know more as she's local there.
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

There's also one in Blackheath South East London.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72