Bumping into the Band - a St Matthew's Day blog

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

Further to my comments on the "shoulder piece" I have a book "The Annals of C.H." written by EH Pearce (Old Blue) and published in 1908. It is generally regarded as well-researched and accurate. In it he discusses whether the uniform was of monastic origin and says "...The one sign which I admit makes in favour of a lay rather than a monastic origin is the small epaulette on the coats, which is familiar in every Holbein tunic."
So, it really does seem to be as old as the coat.
As a matter of curiosity, do the modern girls' bluecoats have such epaulettes?
:shock:
cstegerlewis
Deputy Grecian

Post by cstegerlewis »

sejintenej wrote:http://www.archivist.f2s.com/bsu/ch/ch2/parade.htm

A couple of questions about the uniforms shown on the bottom photo:

2 button greciams (with the lowered collars) don't appear to have the increased number of large buttons; has this changed?
The dropped collar on 'normal' coats seems to be a relatively new introduction - wasn't there in the eighties, but I did notice it on Rock School
sejintenej wrote:The boy looking over the head of the trombonist: the seam on his left shoulder seems to be overstitched which wasn't done back in the 1950's - something new?
Again looks similar to the eighties coats, so not sure
sejintenej wrote:The same boy and the two button grecians: there seems to be an extra crescent of cloth across the top of the sleeve where it meets the body of the coat - new?
Nope, definitely there in the eighties
sejintenej wrote:The girl back extreme left: her girdle seems to have been pulled in tight to create a wasp waist; normal nowadays?
probably best left to the females of the era, but IIRC some did emphasise their figures, others did not.

CJ - help me out on this one!!
Craig Steger-Lewis
Ba.B 25, Mid B 25, Mid A42
1982-1989
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

The girls didn't wear the big bluecoat immediately after the merger. I think (and Vonny may remember more clearly) it was only after the first winter when we all froze in those silly little jackets that it was decided we should wear the coat over our shirt and skirt. The coats were the exactly the same as those issued to the boys. For formal occasions and summer wear, we wore the jacket and I do think that we wore our belts tighter then. There were little belt loops on the jackets so that the girdle/broadie could be worn on the waist as opposed to the hips when wearing the coat. I certainly felt more feminine in jackets, but warmer in coats! I'll look out some photos to remind myself.
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

cj wrote:The girls didn't wear the big bluecoat immediately after the merger. I think (and Vonny may remember more clearly) it was only after the first winter when we all froze in those silly little jackets that it was decided we should wear the coat over our shirt and skirt.
Yes - as you say, it was after (or even during - I can't remember exactly) the first winter it was decided we should wear the coats. The jackets were very thin. I can remember wearing a jumper under the jacket and feeling like a womble.
I agree about feeling more femine in the jackets. It was easier to show off your tiny waist in them! The coats were much cosier in the winter without a doubt. I can still remember how itchy those jabots were as well when we had to wear them everyday at first as well :roll:
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Mrs C. wrote:
Foureyes wrote:Plum,
The Blueboy was carefully removed prior to the rebuild of Exeter City Centre and is now back in position. See:

http://www.exetermemories.co.uk/EM/Prin ... hotos.html and scroll down - he is fourth from the bottom of the page on the right.
...and he is still blue!

Signed "Someone" aka :shock:
Gosh - how Exeter has changed since I was last there about 10 years ago!

Really must go back sometime - perhaps I can persuade younger daughter that she`d like to see the university before she starts applying!
I was back there at the end of the summer - it has changed - but I think Princesshay did need some work done to it...

I'm glad that the Blue Boy is back as well...

You should persuade younger daughter to go to Exeter... after all, it is 'probably the best university in the world...'
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

Great Plum wrote:You should persuade younger daughter to go to Exeter... after all, it is 'probably the best university in the world...'
Well of course WE know that don`t we Matt?!
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I think young Mr Eastburn is there too.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

sejintenej wrote:The girl back extreme left: her girdle seems to have been pulled in tight to create a wasp waist; normal nowadays?
Yes on ceremonial/summer dress. We have the shorter jackets so the brodie has to go round waist rather than hips as does on housey coat.
Amy Leadbeater
BaB 2000-01, Gre W01-02

Check out my blog http://leadpencils.blogspot.com/
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Thanks for bringing this back on topic, Amy!
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
carong
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by carong »

Re Canteen Cath's comments ...

"The cuff buttons are also symbolic of status: if the outer button is unfastened on both cuffs then the boys is an academic; if one is unfastened he is both academic and monitor. If neither is unfastened the boy in question is only a monitor."

I never knew this! But then I never had my buttons. What does the band captain do with his cuffs if he isn't a monitor or academic button Gr? My boyfriend was band captain but I wasn't interested in looking at his cuffs.

When we used to go on the Latin trip from Hertford (and stay in the infirmary) we used to have a competition as to who could collect the most Housey buttons. I came back with 36, a set of bands and a girdle! Before anyone accuses me of being a bit of a sl"pp"er, I had paid a visit to Mid B and bullied all the guys who had been junior to my brother, who had left a couple of years before!
Caron Garrod (nee Haskell)

2:38 1976 - 1979
carong
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by carong »

:oops:

And I meant to say, but forgot (short term memory not being what it was!) that there is a building in Guildford with "The Bluecoat School" on it. I have no idea what it is/was - just happened to spot it on a day out with my boys from KESWitley

cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

carong wrote:Re Canteen Cath's comments ...

"The cuff buttons are also symbolic of status: if the outer button is unfastened on both cuffs then the boys is an academic; if one is unfastened he is both academic and monitor. If neither is unfastened the boy in question is only a monitor."

I never knew this! But then I never had my buttons. What does the band captain do with his cuffs if he isn't a monitor or academic button Gr? My boyfriend was band captain but I wasn't interested in looking at his cuffs.

When we used to go on the Latin trip from Hertford (and stay in the infirmary) we used to have a competition as to who could collect the most Housey buttons. I came back with 36, a set of bands and a girdle! Before anyone accuses me of being a bit of a sl"pp"er, I had paid a visit to Mid B and bullied all the guys who had been junior to my brother, who had left a couple of years before!
Completely :offtopic: but I like your tactics. I still have a couple of said boyfriend's buttons, given as a lurve token, currently sitting on my dressing table in a pot. My little daughter was looking at the face of King Eddie on them only the other day. I didn't try and explain that he founded my school and lived 450 years ago - she thinks yesterday was a long time ago. I also have a history book that Mrs Roxburgh said I could keep and a school pillow somehow managed to worm its way home and never return. Perhaps I shouldn't mention that my brother has a Housey loo seat ...
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

A LOO SEAT?
Is that of the wooden, heavy duty variety? I don't imagine it's plastic and thin and.. and.. and..

From whereabouts in the school did this disappear, and what is now in its place?!

Just off to lie down in order to recover from this astounding piece of information....
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
carong
LE (Little Erasmus)

Off topic again, but ...

Post by carong »

Mrs Roxburgh! I sooo loved that woman! My kids always laugh because I still use that funky shape she used to use when drawing England ...

and I still think vinegar is the best way to get rid of marks from wood!

englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

We had lovely ones at Hertford.

The only one I have found to match them was in the Royal Box at Cheltenham, a real "Throne" Room.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"