If I'd known then what I know now,...

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Deb GP
Deputy Grecian

If I'd known then what I know now,...

Post by Deb GP » Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:26 pm

Go on - what would you have done differently at CH if you knew then what you know now?! Hopefully you don't regret whatever it is too much - it's just part of that great learning curve called life.

Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum » Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:34 pm

That is a very good question - I think there are a number of things I'd have doen differently on my juniors - however I'd preobably do my seniors about the same if i had the chance!
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99

stoice
2nd Former

Post by stoice » Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:41 pm

come on then mat don't keep us in suspense!!
Stoice
Ba B 92-99

Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum » Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:50 pm

stoice wrote:come on then mat don't keep us in suspense!!
Well, I remember the Spice Girls poster we had in my study on my UF and GE!!

Deb GP
Deputy Grecian

Post by Deb GP » Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:05 pm

ROFLMAO Great Plum!!!!!!

I think my "If I knew then" is that my nursemaid couldn't cut hair. I really didn't need to walk around with that wonky fringe on my squits. I've hated going for haircuts ever since.
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

(BaA 88-95; Foundation Staff 99-02)

FrogBoxed
Deputy Grecian

Re: If I'd known then what I know now,...

Post by FrogBoxed » Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:37 pm

If I'd known then that permanent marker stays on skin a lot longer than you think it's going to...
Louise Barr Col B 89–96 | Frog Box Design

Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik » Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:57 pm

Jenny L-C wrote:If I'd known I could have sold my hair for over £100 I wouldn't have thrown it in the bin!! Damn it! :roll:
wow! don't think i can beat that! don't they use human hair for really high class dolls or something?

i probably would have done more wheeling/dealing. not drugs obviously (the market was already saturated :lol: ), just petty stuff outlawed by petty rules. tho can't think what atm.

worked harder :roll: obvious, i know. but ever-true.

i would have unionised the students. then watched the SMT squirm as they debated to ban it (thus instantly increasing its popularity 10-fold), or let it run and gain numbers steadily. hindsight. frustrating thing.

started a juggling club. i can't believe somewhere with the resources of CH doesn't already have one.

Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum » Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:15 am

Hendrik wrote: started a juggling club. i can't believe somewhere with the resources of CH doesn't already have one.
They used to be one on my juniors... i can't remember the teacher who started it but he used to be in the circus...

marty
Grecian

Post by marty » Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:31 pm

Great Plum wrote:
Hendrik wrote: started a juggling club. i can't believe somewhere with the resources of CH doesn't already have one.
They used to be one on my juniors... i can't remember the teacher who started it but he used to be in the circus...

That was Mr Dougal - the maths teacher ! We always used to joke that he was a clown but it was TRUE ! He must have been the only bloke ever to have run AWAY FROM the circus to become a maths teacher ?!!! Answers on a postcard as to why...
The internet's perfect for all manner of things, but productive discussion ain't one of them. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring.

Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik » Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:34 pm

one of the current grecians has been given 500 quid from an old blue to set a circus skills club up, she's been sitting on it for months now and to my knowledge hasn't done anything with it. :(

if i'd been given a budget that big, there'd be no stopping me! [he sits back and dreams of poi, diablos, devil sticks, clubs, blades, fire toys, stilts, unicycles.....]

another thing i'd do differently: learn to skateboard. the long, gentle, meandering slopes of swansea are perfect for longboarding. :roll:

sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej » Sun Feb 20, 2005 4:46 pm

Don't think I would have done too much different (apart from making better efforts not to get caught for crimes).
There is one barsteward (he calls himself a university professor) in NZ who, as a monitor put me in the Sicker for a couple of days with facial "problems". I should have got even then - but he and I are still alive .....

Other than that I for one got away with metaphorical murder (dropping boys off the roof of Lamb A in front of masters, rockclimbing many Saturdays and Sundays (sleeping in the open overnight), out to see the girlfriend (totally prohibited at the time).

The alternatives to behaving were pretty awful - borstal (= floggery) or expulsion and when you don't have a family, home ......

Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Re: If I'd known then what I know now,...

Post by Euterpe13 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:03 am

Deb GP wrote:Go on - what would you have done differently at CH if you knew then what you know now?! Hopefully you don't regret whatever it is too much - it's just part of that great learning curve called life.
On a more serious note - if I had know then that you CAN stand up to authority, contest it and , with enough determination, WIN : I would have stood up to Auntie Dot when she made me change my A-levels, thereby removing any incentive to study, which in turn led to dropping out of Uni through totally apathy.... of COURSE I regret it!

Luckily, that kind of academic despotism seems to be a thing of the past...

Deb GP
Deputy Grecian

Post by Deb GP » Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:13 am

Not entirely, Euterpe13. I'd have been a bit more independent too about my A-Level choices. Ah well - all's well that ends well.

Stirling
2nd Former

Post by Stirling » Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:53 pm

Not get kicked out. :oops:
Stirling Attfield
Middleton B 50
1990-1991

ben ashton
Grecian

Post by ben ashton » Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:00 pm

ditto!
Cherish pity; lest you drive an angel from your door