CH Friendships

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

CH friends? Well, here am I approaching a Big Birthday and around one quarter of the people who are expecting to be at The Party are those with whom I spent my teenage years at Hertford. This includes the person who I feel to be my best friend of all time - we met when we were nine years old, in 1957. I have no explanation for the bonds which CH engenders except to say that they do seem to be special and unusual.
Another quarter of the guests at my party will be past and present work colleagues (I have worked in the same place for 28 years) and to a person they are bemused that I still have friends with whom I went to school. None of them have kept up with even one of their school 'friends', let alone several.
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
carong
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by carong »

kerrensimmonds wrote:CH friends? Well, here am I approaching a Big Birthday and around one quarter of the people who are expecting to be at The Party are those with whom I spent my teenage years at Hertford. This includes the person who I feel to be my best friend of all time - we met when we were nine years old, in 1957. I have no explanation for the bonds which CH engenders except to say that they do seem to be special and unusual.
I'm kind of hoping that I am going to be one of the guests at Kerren's party and we met through CH, even though there are some years between us!

Some of you may not know that Kerren was a stalwart of CHOGA and was instrumental in getting my daughter presented as the Old Girls' Presentee.

And on the subject of CH friendships, one of my other firm diary dates for next year is the wedding of one of the girls I started with back in 1976, and who is still one of my best friends!
Caron Garrod (nee Haskell)

2:38 1976 - 1979
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Yay Caron.. you (and Georgia, if they will let her get away!) are on the list for March 1st.

But as far as the CHA goes, I have this weekend asked that my name be taken off all datatbases, lists, etc. I no longer wish to be associated with the current regime in any shape or form. The one thing which remains to me is my personal friendship links - which I know are strong and which will over-ride current CH politics.
Kerren Simmonds
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

One thing that the current Mrs Holdsworth doesn't understand is the friendships that I have with my contemporaries at school... she probably keeps in touch with 3 or 4 of her friends from school whereas the list for me is probably a lot longer...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

The 'current' Mrs. Holdsworth, Matt....?
How many more are you planning? And is your Mum 'Mrs. Holdsworth' too? How 'current' is 'current'?
Only teasing....
Kerren Simmonds
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Of course, I only plan on one wife! ;-)

And yes, my mum is Mrs H too!
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

not just contemprories matt, how about all of us who were not at CH same time as you!

I prob keep in touch with around 30 out of the 100 on my year but regular contact with around 5 who are my closest friends.
Considering i only left uni 2 years ago im only in regular contact with 4/5 of my old housemates
Amy Leadbeater
BaB 2000-01, Gre W01-02

Check out my blog http://leadpencils.blogspot.com/
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

That is very true Amy!
Eruresto
Grecian

Post by Eruresto »

Great Plum wrote:Of course, I only plan on one wife! ;-)

And yes, my mum is Mrs H too!
Bet tuck was never a problem for you... :lol:
Joshua Bell: PeA 2002-2008, GrW 2008-9
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Damn right!
Thornton chimp
2nd Former

Post by Thornton chimp »

I'm glad i read this, I've been trying to spell contemprories all afternoon. The friendships you have at CH become special in part i believe because of the routine and the location. I doubt CH would have been as much fun if it were in an urban environment....
I still live in Shellys wood.
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

Thornton chimp wrote:I'm glad i read this, I've been trying to spell contemprories all afternoon
Keep trying :lol:

(actually, it's "contemporaries")

Should have been a teacher: I have a virtual red pen in my hand at all times. Told you I was anal :oops:
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

To be fair to Mr Chimp, Jo (and I nearly made my own little quip along the same lines), I think he's having a very gentle dig at someone who's spelling isn't always quite... well... perfect!
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

The English graduate
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

yes me and my spelling-you would all be shocked if i started spelling and punctuating correctly
Amy Leadbeater
BaB 2000-01, Gre W01-02

Check out my blog http://leadpencils.blogspot.com/