Holly Walsh

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Senior Wife

Post by Angela Woodford »

I expect the Ghananian Chief was bowled over by Katharine's blonde beauty. She would indeed have been a splendid prize!
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Re: Holly Walsh

Post by sejintenej »

Katharine wrote: Thank you David for those few kind words - however we weren't in Akan country but Frafra I think. It was certainly in the far north of Ghana.

We had gone out for a drive one Sunday, two male members of staff the small boy and myself. The small boy being the house boy who worked for us and rejoiced in his choice of name, Stanislaus Clement Ebenezer. How he came to choose those names I never learnt. He must have been in his mid-teens at the time. When we lost the track and got lost we found this chief's compound and went in for Stan to get us directions. The marriage negotiations had to take place before we could get our directions. We did manage to return to the school where we all lived and worked.
Yes; they did like "interesting" name combinations though my boy (from just above your area) had only tribal names; Adua Ankrah Grunshie. The Grunshie tribe spanned the border with Cote d'Ivoire and though he was from there he didn't speak French.
Katharine wrote:Thinking about mattresses were they showing the seductive photos to advertise Vono (?) mattresses when you were there? These had a lovely young lady, not one of the giantesses you describe, reclining on a mattress and had the caption Comfort on a Vono mattress (For those who don't know Ghana, at that time, if not now, Comfort was a popular choice for a girl's name. I taught several girls called Comfort)
:lol: :lol: :lol: I remember the advert but hadn't caught the connection. I don't think that I came across a Comfort (NOT that way JR!). Reminds me that my wife went to school with sisters Faith, Hope and Charity and a Joy. The other name I remember would not get past the censor!
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

I once met a glorious black guy called Precious. A perfect name for him.
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

We had twins at Hertford called Faith and something (possibly Hope)(one in 3's and one in 4's). Perhaps Munch can remember as I believe they were in her year.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Of course! Faith and Rosemary Morgan. They began life in 5's, then were split up; Faith into 4's, Rosemary into 3's. Rosemary was my tennis partner, a super baseline player. Faith loved needlework. Both had long blonde plaits.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Them's the ones, where did I get Hope from? I think one had her hair bobbed so they could be told apart.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

We must never lose Hope! :roll: It was Rosemary who had her hair cut into a bob. I wish now I'd kept my copy of the Tennis Teams lineup. It was a good picture of Rosemary and I looked h-u-g-e, alas!

(Have you noticed how Hertford photos lack House and team photos, unlike Horsham. We tended to take informal messing-about pictures of ourselves. There are no boys-messing-about photos from Horsham!)
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I think photos were taken of teams (Kerren has mentioned her hockey team photo), but I don't ever remember 'school' photos as they take in state schools.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

School Photos

I think it's a shame we didn't have House, form or year lineups. They would have been terrific to keep.

I well remember getting into my white stretchy-velour tennis team kit for the team photo. I was really proud! Then when I saw the result, I declined to order a copy in which I looked so h-u-g-e. :oops: :oops: :oops: Now I wish I had.
(That white jumpsuit with skirt over was amazingly ahead of the standard of the rest of our uniform. Particularly as I revelled in crouching at the net and jumping high to volley.. nothing flapped or came untucked...)

I rather wish there were informal photos by the Horsham boys. Perhaps it was not the done thing to photograph each other? Or they weren't allowed cameras?
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

englishangel wrote:I think photos were taken of teams (Kerren has mentioned her hockey team photo), but I don't ever remember 'school' photos as they take in state schools.
I remember the team photos being taken in the Summer term, and proofs coming around the houses. Anyone could order if they really wanted a photo of their crack but they weren't cheap (to me anyway!) I was neither in one nor bought one at any time. If someone was in a lot of teams they had to keep changing during the photo session, so that they were wearing the correct uniform. Kerren was in at least hockey, tennis and cricket but in my time, I think both tennis and cricket wore white 'tennis dressses'.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

I can only remember one full school photo being taken at Hertford. It must have been 1984-5 and was taken on the school field and included members of teaching staff, caterers etc. In fact I had the picture hanging on the stair wall until I moved 3 years ago!
The only house photos I recall were ones we took ourselves - I don't even remember sporty ones being taken although I guess they probably were :?

I hope JR doesn't see this :shock:
Katharine wrote:Anyone could order if they really wanted a photo of their crack but they weren't cheap
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Angela Woodford wrote:I once met a glorious black guy called Precious. A perfect name for him.
Precious Mackenzie (?sp) Olympic gold weightlifter AFAIR
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Precious!

sejintenej wrote:
Angela Woodford wrote:I once met a glorious black guy called Precious. A perfect name for him.
Precious Mackenzie (?sp) Olympic gold weightlifter AFAIR
In my youth that Precious could have been wonderful at picking me up! :lol:

The Precious I met was so, so handsome (sigh), but he'd got a girlfriend (sigh)

Why didn't Horsham boys have cameras?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Vonny wrote: I hope JR doesn't see this :shock:
Katharine wrote:Anyone could order if they really wanted a photo of their crack but they weren't cheap
A full explanation of this would be good !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

J.R. wrote:
Vonny wrote: I hope JR doesn't see this :shock:
A full explanation of this would be good !
Why do you think I wrote it, Vonny? I told JR the other day that I was an innocent while at school! Now I just want to tantalise him with ideas of our life at Hertford!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965