Was CH Horsham Designed to Be Gay?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Bingo the Poop-Eating Dog
LE (Little Erasmus)

Re: Was CH Horsham Designed to Be Gay?

Post by Bingo the Poop-Eating Dog »

So, do kids still get punished for being gay at CH? If not, does that mean that it's condoned/tolerated - or do gay pupils get given a stiff talking-to, along the lines of Save that kind of thing for after you've left school?

And are kids who were actually caned for being gay in past years allowed to bring legal actions against the school these days?
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Bingo the Poop-Eating Dog wrote:So, do kids still get punished for being gay at CH? If not, does that mean that it's condoned/tolerated - or do gay pupils get given a stiff talking-to, along the lines of Save that kind of thing for after you've left school?

And are kids who were actually caned for being gay in past years allowed to bring legal actions against the school these days?

Previous posts on this topic have seriously cheesed me off, but this one has led me to join in.

I had not previously heard, or had reason to hear, that gay pupils have, in the past, been caned for their sexual preferences. Or was it because they were indulging in sexual activities during term time and on school premises?

Next question: have any female pupils been dealt with in the same way? (I can't believe that there are no gay females at the school).

What action has been or is taken against anyone caught indulging in heterosexual activities within the school?

Intrigued of Adelaide :)
Caroline Payne (nee Barrett)
Hertford 6.20 1965-70

Adelaide, dear Adelaide; where the water is foul, but the wines more than make up for it.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

There were Senior/Junior 'crush' relationships at Horsham in my time. They were very hush-hush, and as long as nothing became 'public', everyone was happy. I honestly cannot remember anyone being punished for it.

The only case of punishment was a female, (Italian/Spanish ?) member of kitchen staff that was dismissed for a sexual daliance with a grecian.

I'm sure there must have been similar liasons at Hertford as there were at Horsham !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Chrissie Boy
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Chrissie Boy »

I recall various canings and (more usually) expulsions during the '70s. Gay activity amongst boys was considered utterly beyond the pale, but some kids who were involved were seen as victims rather than instigators and allowed to stay on. If the instigators were juniors, they'd be less likely to be expelled than if they were seniors, though I remember the expulsion of one junior in the academic year '74-'75 who appeared to have (effectively) raped a younger boy. Not at all nice.

Many of my contemporaries will recall a junior boy who charged certain seniors 5p a time to interfere with him. The seniors were expelled in due course, the junior allowed to stay.

As I recollect, boys who began displaying homosexual preferences only when they were Grecians and who discretely restricted their attentions to their peer group didn't get clamped down on. A couple of contributors to chforum.info certainly fell into that category. Their avoidance of this thread suggests that, quite sensibly, they don't wish to be drawn on the subject needlessly. After all, they did no harm.
White Flag
2nd Former

Post by White Flag »

After several months of deep thought:

After rereading the comments I do not think that anyone has come up with a good reply. Build a place and throw in 800 teenage boys and you know what is going to happen. Why were there no doors in toilets, why mass showers, why open baths etc etc ?
Well I believe that the authorities at CH were surprisingly modern (sic) in the sense that they adopted the view " what you see all day and everyday makes it less exciting" I do not believe there is any other reason. To take away doors to STOP boys having sex is not the answer, there were masses of places available.

No Spoonbill is correct the whole place messed around with your mind.

As for punishment for being caught in somebody elses pants, I got six from Newsome " In case you have done something DIRTY" That was because I took some drugs on a sunday and fell asleep in the dorm in my bed together with two other guys ( each in his own bed ).
Could do better !
CHAZ
Grecian

Post by CHAZ »

After all those away rugby matches for First Xv, the camaraderie continued in the showers...as I have mentioned somewhere else, Dulwich had a communal bath!!!
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

CHAZ wrote:the camaraderie continued in the showers...
I can remember being told about "helicopters" being "played" in the showers :lol:
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
little_r
3rd Former

Post by little_r »

helicopters! lol ... and as for the soggy biscuit game? truth or myth?
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

little_r wrote:and as for the soggy biscuit game? truth or myth?
Image :lol:

Would't be surprised if there was some truth in it!
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
CHAZ
Grecian

Post by CHAZ »

Vonny wrote:
CHAZ wrote:the camaraderie continued in the showers...
I can remember being told about "helicopters" being "played" in the showers :lol:
Looking at your age, Vonny, you will have arrived at CH 2 years after me...
The helicopter came certainly did exist and was only experimented by the fortunate few!!! Sean Davis was the school champion! The poor guy had the nickname of Horse *!ob...he was also Jamaican :lol:
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984
CHAZ
Grecian

Post by CHAZ »

little_r wrote:helicopters! lol ... and as for the soggy biscuit game? truth or myth?
I was petrified when I learnt that I was to go into PeB as my Senior House in 1980...the rumours coming from Senior Avenue were enough to be haunted for life. It was reputed as being a really tough house and the HM wanted to improve it by putting in (so it was believed) the best of the LE from the Junior Houses. Consequently we were a group of 10 mercenaries...In time the House became "normal" and in my last year we fielded 9 members of First XV...

In my first two years in PeB I never once witnessed, took part in or heard again about the biscuit game...Myth confirmed.
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984
Chrissie Boy
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Chrissie Boy »

This talk of soggy biscuits and helicopters means nothing whatever to persons of my generation.

I'm unable even to guess at what these terms might mean.

Does this mean I'm a sad old git, doctor?
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

Chrissie Boy wrote:This talk of soggy biscuits and helicopters means nothing whatever to persons of my generation.

I'm unable even to guess at what these terms might mean.

Does this mean I'm a sad old git, doctor?
I'm pretty sure that in this case, ignorance is bliss!

And, no, you're not sad... :lol:
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

I first read of this "soggy biscuit" activity in Stephen Fry's "The Liar". Vividly described!

But "helicopters"? I'm trying to imagine... a few ideas... anyone in a frank mood could pm me...? :shock:
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
CHAZ
Grecian

Post by CHAZ »

Angela Woodford wrote:I first read of this "soggy biscuit" activity in Stephen Fry's "The Liar". Vividly described!

But "helicopters"? I'm trying to imagine... a few ideas... anyone in a frank mood could pm me...? :shock:
Just imagine the blades, Angela, the rotating blades! :oops:
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984