clothes and the man

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

postwarblue
Deputy Grecian

Re: clothes and the man

Post by postwarblue »

Buttons were awarded to a full Grecian (not probationary) on his 17th birthday (see avatar).

I only got to 2nd Parting (as although I had my A-levels I was going to the Navy and not to university) and I never heard of anything called Q-Shott.

Finally what a pity people were so stupid and treacherous as to go on a pro-Soviet march. Try doing that in the Soviet Union! .. what Lenin called the 'usefu idiots'.
'Oh blest retirement, friend to life's decline'
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

postwarblue wrote:Buttons were awarded to a full Grecian (not probationary) on his 17th birthday (see avatar).

I only got to 2nd Parting (as although I had my A-levels I was going to the Navy and not to university) and I never heard of anything called Q-Shott.

Finally what a pity people were so stupid and treacherous as to go on a pro-Soviet march. Try doing that in the Soviet Union! .. what Lenin called the 'usefu idiots'.
By the 1960s, almost everyone who got his buttons was already 17. The majority who got their buttons got them at the start of their 2nd grecians' year, and certainly most were 17 by then.

As for the useful idiots: I make no excuses for what I did when I was 17. 15 years earlier I believed in Father Christmas. But it was on this march that I realized the extent to which CND was infiltrated by communists, and I had little to do with it afterwards. But you have to gather your own experience and not believe what the Express and the Mail tell you, then as now.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

michael scuffil wrote:
postwarblue wrote:Buttons were awarded to a full Grecian (not probationary) on his 17th birthday (see avatar).

By the 1960s, almost everyone who got his buttons was already 17. The majority who got their buttons got them at the start of their 2nd grecians' year, and certainly most were 17 by then.

As for the useful idiots: I make no excuses for what I did when I was 17. 15 years earlier I believed in Father Christmas. But it was on this march that I realized the extent to which CND was infiltrated by communists, and I had little to do with it afterwards. But you have to gather your own experience and not believe what the Express and the Mail tell you, then as now.

Behind most of their 'reports', there is always an element of truth.

Matters not - Leveson will prevail !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.