CCF STORIES/INSPECTIONS/CAMPS

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

CHAZ
Grecian

CCF STORIES/INSPECTIONS/CAMPS

Post by CHAZ »

There must be a few pearls out there? I was in the Navy section under Rocker Rae and Dave Clements...we didn't seem to have as much fun as the Army or RAF guys but on one CCF Inspection parade we were the guard of honour and I had a sword that Chief Bradley had given me for the salute march past...ah those were the days doing drills on the raod by the old swimming pool near station...

by the way a drill was a punishemnt too but can't remember what exactly it was! Age is catching up with me...
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Re: CCF STORIES/INSPECTIONS/CAMPS

Post by wurzel »

A senior single drill was 4 laps of the loop from the old swimming pool down to the station and up the hill again, a double was 6 laps, triple got you a detention. I think they were straight after lunch on Thursdays as I had hobbies afternoon woodwork after and I remember a Northern teacher who would deliberately drop something on your foot if you were wearing trainers. Not easy to have lunch get back to LHA change get down to the old gym do 6 laps and get back to LHA change and get to the Manual school for 2:15

They stopped the drills when the girls arrived (well about 1.5 terms in) as they couldn't hack them. Same as 17 yr old girls having an easier steeplechase than 11 year old boys.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

They still had the drills around the loop of the old swimming pool when I started in 1992... these were phased out in about 1995/6 I think ... they were replaced by drill detentions...

basically you had to get up early on a Sunday and move the chairs around Big School or something... No one ever wanted a drill DT the sunday after the Rememberance Service as they would have to pick up the 800 or so poppies in the quad...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

R.S.M. (Squeaky) Cooke.

Quite a character. Anyone emember him ? A raconteur of war stories.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

J.R. wrote:R.S.M. (Squeaky) Cooke.

Quite a character. Anyone emember him ? A raconteur of war stories.
I remember him well. One of his best lines (though I never heard it myself, never having been to camp) was, when issuing the daily ration of three sheets of loo paper, was: "One up, one down, and one to polish."
Th.B. 27 1955-63
AndrewH
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by AndrewH »

CHAZ wrote:There must be a few pearls out there? I was in the Navy section under Rocker Rae and Dave Clements...we didn't seem to have as much fun as the Army or RAF guys but on one CCF Inspection parade we were the guard of honour and I had a sword that Chief Bradley had given me for the salute march past...ah those were the days doing drills on the raod by the old swimming pool near station...

by the way a drill was a punishemnt too but can't remember what exactly it was! Age is catching up with me...
I saw Chief Bradley the other week, he is still much the same at 89 and still lives in Horsham.
Andrew Harrison
Maine A 1970-73
Lamb A 1973-77
huntertitus
Button Grecian

Post by huntertitus »

I had to do Army Camp with The Signals

We were issued with full kit & compass including ancient and heavy radio,
driven to a remote location deep on Dartmoor and left there with orders to
find our way home by torch & compass in the pitch dark

Everyone got lost of course

I remember a boy called Blewitt who actually enjoyed keeping his leather
boots shone with real spit & polish

He simply must now be in the forces or The Police "SERVICE" as they like to all it now
loringa
Deputy Grecian

Post by loringa »

For those OBs who remember 'Chief' Bradley from his 17 years at CH, either through the CCF or the Shooting Team, I received a letter from him today and am pleased to report that he is as hale and hearty as ever. He is still working part time, looking after the grounds for four industrial estates around Horsham as well as looking after a couple of 'old' people around his flats who can no longer keep their gardens up. What's the betting they are both younger than his 89 years?

He thoroughly enjoyed his trip to Bisley with Kim Platfoot for the Old Boys' Ashburton shoot and sent me a photograph from Bisley 1978. I'll post it here if and when I can track down a scanner.

I get the impression that he'd be happy to hear from anyone from his CH days. In his own words he would like to 'thank them for making him so happy at CH.' Also in his own words: 'It's a great life and I am lucky to still be here.'

A final statistic: Chief served 54 years in uniform: 35 years regular Service from age 15; 2 years at All Hallows and 17 at CH.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I guess he must be after my time at Horsham. Name doesn't ring a bell.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
CHAZ
Grecian

Post by CHAZ »

I get the impression that he'd be happy to hear from anyone from his CH days. In his own words he would like to 'thank them for making him so happy at CH.' Also in his own words: 'It's a great life and I am lucky to still be here.'

A final statistic: Chief served 54 years in uniform: 35 years regular Service from age 15; 2 years at All Hallows and 17 at CH.[/quote]

How do we get hold of him, Andrew?
He was my CCF Inspection Parade Guard of Honour coach!!
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984
loringa
Deputy Grecian

Post by loringa »

Charles

I've sent you his details in a PM; let me know if you don't receive them as e-mail etc is a bit hit and miss out here.
LongGone
Deputy Grecian

Post by LongGone »

J.R. wrote:I guess he must be after my time at Horsham. Name doesn't ring a bell.
My nemesis was Sgt-Major Mutter whose eyes were sunk so deep in his head that you couldn't tell where he was looking. His first words were "Because you are officers in training, I will address you as 'Sir'. Because I am here acting for your CO, you will address me as 'Sir". The difference is: you will mean it"
If a stone falls on an egg: alas for the egg
If an egg falls on a stone: alas for the egg
CHAZ
Grecian

Post by CHAZ »

loringa wrote:Charles

I've sent you his details in a PM; let me know if you don't receive them as e-mail etc is a bit hit and miss out here.

All received and with thanks.
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

CHAZ wrote:There must be a few pearls out there? I was in the Navy section under Rocker Rae and Dave Clements...
I thought Rae ran the RAF section - at least he did when I was in it.

The orienteering stuff was OK, but the flying experience was the best thing - squeezing into the back of a Chipmunk and being chucked around the sky somewhere over Oxfordshire.....
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
CHAZ
Grecian

Post by CHAZ »

Richard Ruck wrote:
CHAZ wrote:There must be a few pearls out there? I was in the Navy section under Rocker Rae and Dave Clements...
I thought Rae ran the RAF section - at least he did when I was in it.

The orienteering stuff was OK, but the flying experience was the best thing - squeezing into the back of a Chipmunk and being chucked around the sky somewhere over Oxfordshire.....

You are right. Rocker was RAF and it was Dave Clements for navy and Gunning for the Army...must have had a short lapsus there! Age? Rocker was perhaps the most Senior Officer in CCF as he was involved a lot with the inspections.
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984