House Singing Competition?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: House Singing Competition?

Post by J.R. »

Also on a 'musical-note', I'm sure John H will remember 'the words' to the march 'Sussex By The Sea', which on full band parade, us buglers at the back would sing quietly if Mr 'Bill' Bailey wasn't within ear-shot !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Eruresto
Grecian

Post by Eruresto »

Geeky, I know, but I had it as a homepage for a while:

http://www.sussexhistory.co.uk/sussex-b ... yrics.html
Joshua Bell: PeA 2002-2008, GrW 2008-9
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Eruresto wrote:Geeky, I know, but I had it as a homepage for a while:

http://www.sussexhistory.co.uk/sussex-b ... yrics.html
Well, none of those are the words I learned at CH starting

"You can tell by the smell ........."

(I know I am not allowed to post the full refrain on this forum - but then again I think all the fellas of my era know them.)
Eruresto
Grecian

Post by Eruresto »

Are you allowed to PM them to me? :wink:
Joshua Bell: PeA 2002-2008, GrW 2008-9
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

It stopped in the 90's (coincidentally co-inciding with my time at the school) - I believe because it was causing too much inter house rivalry!
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
CHAZ
Grecian

Post by CHAZ »

Peele B won something in 1983 when Doc maddren was our House Tutor and he got us to sing a sort of barber shop sextet around the Blue Moon song...There was a guy who had a really deep voice so he did the last Blue Moon...we won something but can't remember what...
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

House singing competition was alive and kicking when i was there and still is
Amy Leadbeater
BaB 2000-01, Gre W01-02

Check out my blog http://leadpencils.blogspot.com/
nastymum
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by nastymum »

Surely Jo you were there when we had a choice of three set songs and an own choice. The outstandingly appalling ' gra-a -a -a- a- ceful swaying wattle' comes to mind or the equally memorable Armadillo Song from South America which contained the line 'the armadillo , dilloing in his armour'. I defy anyone to criticise a song writer from any area with that charmless piece of dross as an example of what we were required to sing. I can only imagine that Miss Tavener et al had a sense of humour beyond my level of sophictication at the time.House 5 won with one of those and lost with the other the folowing year (I forget the order) as our second song was Swing Low Sweet Chariot conducted by Lynn Ford which was criticised by the adjudicator for being too slow.Paul Robeson turned in his grave. I also think that the adjudicator was a very up and coming conductor who is recently deceased.
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

nastymum wrote:Surely Jo you were there when we had a choice of three set songs and an own choice. The outstandingly appalling ' gra-a -a -a- a- ceful swaying wattle' comes to mind or the equally memorable Armadillo Song from South America which contained the line 'the armadillo , dilloing in his armour'.

Does that begin with the lines

I've never sailed the Amazon, I've never seen Brazil
But the Don and the Magdalena, they go there when they will

and continues with something along the lines of

ro-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh blah blah -lling down to Rio?

the folowing year (I forget the order) as our second song was Swing Low Sweet Chariot

Sadly, I and a large contingent of colleagues were banned from the best Indian restaurant in Adelaide after one of our company gave the entire restaurant a rendering of Swing Low while standing on the tables that we had been explicitly banned from pulling together to accommodate us all. (Some restaurants here went through a bit of a precious stage when they refused to accommodate parties of more than 20 people, so two or three of us would make individual bookings and then rearrange the furniture on arrival so that we could all sit within communicating distance of each other).

I like to think that Paul Robeson would have approved. Not sure about Miss Taverner.

xxxx
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

icomefromalanddownunder wrote: Sadly, I and a large contingent of colleagues were banned from the best Indian restaurant in Adelaide after one of our company gave the entire restaurant a rendering of Swing Low while standing on the tables that we had been explicitly banned from pulling together to accommodate us all. (Some restaurants here went through a bit of a precious stage when they refused to accommodate parties of more than 20 people, so two or three of us would make individual bookings and then rearrange the furniture on arrival so that we could all sit within communicating distance of each other).
Flashback about 15 years to a Greek restaurant in Canterbury that positively encouraged such disgraceful behaviour. I believe the plates were reasonably cheap as they were all thrown into the fireplace at the end of the meal. Can't remember who told me about this place, because of course I'd never go anywhere like that myself, but the tables and benches reminded me of the Dining Hall at CH. Oops... :lol:
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

When did Miss Taverner start at Hertford. I can't remember the name of the music/singing teacher who started at Hertford in 1951, but I had a less than happy relationship with her.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

midget wrote:When did Miss Taverner start at Hertford. I can't remember the name of the music/singing teacher who started at Hertford in 1951, but I had a less than happy relationship with her.
Hi Maggie

Miss T was there by 1965. Perhaps Kerren (once she has recovered) or Katharine know when she joined the school.

xxx
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

[quote="icomefromalanddownunder"
Sadly, I and a large contingent of colleagues were banned from the best Indian restaurant in Adelaide after one of our company gave the entire restaurant a rendering of Swing Low while standing on the tables that we had been explicitly banned from pulling together to accommodate us all. (Some restaurants here went through a bit of a precious stage when they refused to accommodate parties of more than 20 people, so two or three of us would make individual bookings and then rearrange the furniture on arrival so that we could all sit within communicating distance of each other).

I like to think that Paul Robeson would have approved. Not sure about Miss Taverner.

xxxx
[/quote]

Sweet Chariot is the Hash House Harriers Hymn, sung after most runs and frequently in the Restaurant. It is invariably accompanied by actions, imitating angels and other less acceptable actions, but we have never been thrown out of a restaurant for that song.
We verged on being ejected when MacDonald's farm was sung, again with actions, one of which involved mooning. The singers mooned the assembled hash, but unfortunately there was a party down the other end of the room.
They were uderstandably upset.
Not a lot on show, I suppose.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
Angela Pratt 56-63
Deputy Grecian

Post by Angela Pratt 56-63 »

Miss Weaver taught music before Miss Taverner.
She was particularly fond of psalms, hence the psalm as part of singing competition? I still get the giggles in some psalms as they bring back memories of practices...and also the quote "I would I was a weaver then I could sing psalms or anything".(But what was it a quote from??? - oh dear, memory.)
Angela
Vièr Bliu
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Vièr Bliu »

Angela Pratt 56-63 wrote: the quote "I would I was a weaver then I could sing psalms or anything".(But what was it a quote from??? - oh dear, memory.)
Shakespeare, Henry IV part 1: "I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still."
Jé l'dithai acouo eune fais: séyiz heutheurs!
BB/CA 1977-1984