Music! Albums that kept you going during your school years.

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Music! Albums that kept you going during your school years.

Post by Richard Ruck »

OK, let's hear about people's musical tastes.

What did you listen to on a wind-up gramophone in the day-room or on your iPod in your luxuriously-appointed, fully furnished living, study and personal development space ?

Given the age ranges of the posters on here, this could be interesting or incomprehensible....

So, my schooldays had a rather handy split : early '70s rock, glam etc., then punk / new wave (I was never much into soul, disco stuff).

Here, then, is a fairly random list of albums I listened to a lot at the time:

Alice Cooper - Killer
Alice Cooper - Billion Dollar Babies
Mott the Hoople - Mott
Mott the Hoople - All the young Dudes
Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin III
Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin IV
Queen - Sheer Heart Attack
Queen - A night at the Opera
Deep Purple - In Rock
Bachman Turner Overdrive - Not Fragile (oops!)

then, having consigned all the above to a cupboard somewhere (glad I kept some of them, though):

David Bowie - Heroes
Rezillos - Can't stand the Rezillos
The Clash - The Clash
The Jam - In the City
The Jam - All Mod Cons
The Vibrators - Pure Mania
The Stranglers - Rattus Norvegicus
Sex Pistols - Never mind the Bollocks
Ian Dury & The Blockheads - New Boots and Panties
Ramones - Ramones
Ramones - Leave Home
Ramones - Rocket to Russia
(Yes, I loved The Ramones, and still do)
X-Ray Spex - Germfree Adolescents
The Damned - Damned Damned Damned

Just a selection to give people a feel for the times.
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I shared my eclectic music tastes with Andrew Friend in the next door study on my Grecians - Van Morrison, Frank Sinatra, Travis, Sterophonics, The Corrs, Paul Simon, Genesis, Fleetwood Mac, Phil Collins, Dire Straits....

Not one for fashion me...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
tobeconfirmed
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by tobeconfirmed »

It must have been great growing up here when groups like Queen and ABBA, etc. were at their prime. I'm generally of the opinion that the majority of good songs have already been written, and this is proven by the massive amount of new groups that just take to doing remakes. I think one of the really good things about CH is that you can express and please yourself by listening to whatever music you want, without being 'cussed' or prejudged in any way. I think this is extremely rare in schools nowadays.
At the moment I'm listening to Gerry Rafferty's 'Baker Street,' although I'm not a fan of his at all, it's just on a compilation album, although that's a pretty good song.
Me and my three closest friends tend to just swap each other's music all the time, and copy it when possible. My personal favourite 'oldies' are Simon and Garfunkel, REM, ABBA, Madness and Earth, Wind & Fire.
Anyone listen to radio 2 on weekday afternoons?
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

tbs wrote:It must have been great growing up here when groups like Queen and ABBA, etc. were at their prime. I'm generally of the opinion that the majority of good songs have already been written, and this is proven by the massive amount of new groups that just take to doing remakes. I think one of the really good things about CH is that you can express and please yourself by listening to whatever music you want, without being 'cussed' or prejudged in any way. I think this is extremely rare in schools nowadays.
At the moment I'm listening to Gerry Rafferty's 'Baker Street,' although I'm not a fan of his at all, it's just on a compilation album, although that's a pretty good song.
Me and my three closest friends tend to just swap each other's music all the time, and copy it when possible. My personal favourite 'oldies' are Simon and Garfunkel, REM, ABBA, Madness and Earth, Wind & Fire.
Anyone listen to radio 2 on weekday afternoons?
I frequently listen to Radio 2 - what an old man I am...

I love Queen and REM too...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
tobeconfirmed
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by tobeconfirmed »

I frequently listen to Radio 2
I've sofar converted 4 people from Radio 1 to Steve Wright in the Afternoon! In the 'nonstop oldies,' there's bound to be a song that either you never thought you'd hear again, or a really great one about which you'd completely forgotten.
'Shiny Happy People' is always one that makes me happy (obviously) and also 'Here comes the sun' by the Beatles, especially at this time of year.
Jeeves
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by Jeeves »

Here's an incomplete list of albums that I enjoyed listening to at CH:

Small Faces - Ogdens Nut Gone Flake
Led Zeppelin I
Led Zeppelin II
Led Zeppelin III
Led Zeppelin IV
Van Morrison - Astral Weeks
(Most of the Mothers of Invention/Frank Zappa albums)
(The decent classical LPs in Music School e.g. Stravinsky)
John Coltrane - Giant Steps
Cream - Wheels of Fire (In the studio)
(Most Little Feat albums from the Lowell George era)
Genesis - Trespass
Derek & Clive - Live
Derek & Clive - Get the horn
J.J. Cale - Okie
Slim Gaillard - The legendary McVouty
Roxy Music - Roxy Music
(Most Rolling Stones albums)
The Electric Flag - A Long Time Comin'
(Most Jimi Hendrix albums)
Robert Cray - Who's Been Talkin'

I could go on for longer, but these are the ones that I remember the most.
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Jeeves wrote:Here's an incomplete list of albums that I enjoyed listening to at CH:

Small Faces - Ogdens Nut Gone Flake
Led Zeppelin I
Led Zeppelin II
Led Zeppelin III
Led Zeppelin IV
Van Morrison - Astral Weeks
(Most of the Mothers of Invention/Frank Zappa albums)
(The decent classical LPs in Music School e.g. Stravinsky)
John Coltrane - Giant Steps
Cream - Wheels of Fire (In the studio)
(Most Little Feat albums from the Lowell George era)
Genesis - Trespass
Derek & Clive - Live
Derek & Clive - Get the horn
J.J. Cale - Okie
Slim Gaillard - The legendary McVouty
Roxy Music - Roxy Music
(Most Rolling Stones albums)
The Electric Flag - A Long Time Comin'
(Most Jimi Hendrix albums)
Robert Cray - Who's Been Talkin'

I could go on for longer, but these are the ones that I remember the most.
Wow, I'm amazed. Most of these would have been favourites of people a few years above me at school.

I forgot, of course, to put Derek and Clive Live in my list. Pure genius.

You'll be familiar then with Dud singing "Jump" - the tune is an actual psalm tune (to be found in the psalters in Chapel).

We had a jazz band called The St. Louis Jazz Band, and somehow got away with performing "Jump" in 4-part harmony as a vocal interlude during a concert we did in the theatre one Parent's Day. I remember looking up to the gallery to see the headmaster sitting next to my mother.

Our trick was to have our drummer make some loud drummer-type noises during the rude bits. Still must have been fairly obvious, though.

I don't think my mum understood, luckily, as she still handed over the fags and gallon of Somerset cider she'd brought for me.....
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

tbs wrote:It must have been great growing up here when groups like Queen and ABBA, etc. were at their prime.
Yup, it was interesting all right. I should point out, though, that at the time Abba were DEEPLY uncool (they did win the Eurovision Song Contest, after all). None of us would have been caught dead listening to them. It's only in later years that they've become more appreciated, as much for their campness as anything else, and yes, they did write a few good tunes.

Jeeves
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by Jeeves »

Richard Ruck wrote:...I forgot, of course, to put Derek and Clive Live in my list. Pure genius.

You'll be familiar then with Dud singing "Jump" - the tune is an actual psalm tune (to be found in the psalters in Chapel).

We had a jazz band called The St. Louis Jazz Band, and somehow got away with performing "Jump" in 4-part harmony as a vocal interlude during a concert we did in the theatre one Parent's Day. I remember looking up to the gallery to see the headmaster sitting next to my mother.

Our trick was to have our drummer make some loud drummer-type noises during the rude bits. Still must have been fairly obvious, though......
I would love to have heard the St. Louis Jazz Band performing "Jump", do you have any recordings?

On the subject of Derek and Clive I remember watching one of their videos in ThB. The housemaster came in with intentions of confiscating the video because some brown-noser told him that we were watching Derek and Clive. We made out it was a biography about Peter Cook and Dudley Moore (fortunately he came in during a "clean" bit). Just as the housemaster was about to leave the room, Peter Cook called Dud "a "f*****g c***" and the tape was confiscated! (We managed to watch it on several occasions the following term).
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Jeeves wrote:
Richard Ruck wrote:...I forgot, of course, to put Derek and Clive Live in my list. Pure genius.

Our trick was to have our drummer make some loud drummer-type noises during the rude bits. Still must have been fairly obvious, though......
I would love to have heard the St. Louis Jazz Band performing "Jump", do you have any recordings?
No recordings, unfortunately. In hindsight, and with the theatre's equipment, we really should have done....

mattw
2nd Former

Post by mattw »

Any one of the Art of Noise's albums for me (In No Sense, Nonsense was a fave), or Scoundrel Days by A-Ha.
Deb GP
Deputy Grecian

Post by Deb GP »

A bit odd but main two tapes that I had to get me "through" were Stone Roses and Mozart's Requiem - both recommended by Olly Ridley. I have completely worn out two copies of each since my UF (there was no point having your own music on LE & below if you couldn't drown out every other stereo in the day room)

Even now if I want to get on with some serious studying, Mozart gets played, quite loudly.
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

(BaA 88-95; Foundation Staff 99-02)
Chammy
3rd Former

Post by Chammy »

Has to be Crusading Otter, 'The hunt for dick'. A true classic. Including such smash hits as IT, Cowhead and Magical Neverland Ranch.
graham
Deputy Grecian

Post by graham »

On my squits, were not allowed walkmans/stereos etc. It was one of those third form priveleges. I wasn't really into music in a big way then but by the time my third form came around, I wanted to make the most of my new privelege. A trip to my local charity shop ensured that I listened to Chas and Dave for a whole year! rabbit rabbit rabbit rabbit rabbit rabbit rabbit etc ad nauseum

On a more appopriate note, The Stone Roses was certainly a standard, but one that I didn't fully appreciate until Uni. I think my Beatles and Beach Boys back catalogues got me through. Pet Sounds was probably my main motivation and, thinking about it, it nicely expresses the frustration of being stuck in a hell hole like CH.

Inspirational Movies - If... has to be tops. I wish I had seen the follow up Oh! Lucky Man sooner though. Pure genius!!
Stirling
2nd Former

Post by Stirling »

Well, back in the day it was Phil Collins, Erasure and Bryan Adams.

Now I'm more into Sepultura, Machine Head and Pantera.

It's an obvious transition. :lol:
Stirling Attfield
Middleton B 50
1990-1991