Should Christ's Hospital Stop Being a Faith School?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: Should Christ’s Hospital Stop Being a Faith School?

Post by J.R. »

I see in the recent press that HM Government is going to abolish the legal requirement for state schools to hold any form of daily religious C of E assembly.

... Apparently, so as not to offend the ethnics !

AND - It's being considered to grant a school holiday to in respect of Ramadan !

Where will it all end, I ask myself ?
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

J.R. wrote:... It's being considered to grant a school holiday to in respect of Ramadan !

Where will it all end, I ask myself ?
I think I'd be more inclined to ask myself what newspapers I'm reading!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I read a broad spectrum of papers, watch two seperate TV news channels.

That way, you get a balanced view.
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

J.R. wrote:I see in the recent press that HM Government is going to abolish the legal requirement for state schools to hold any form of daily religious C of E assembly.
And quite right too.
J.R. wrote:... Apparently, so as not to offend the ethnics !
Never mind ethnics, what about atheists, agnostics, etc, of whatever ethnicity? Optional assembly fine, but why a requirement? I didn't realise it still was, and frankly I'm appalled.
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Could be interesting as it seems that the majority of the primary school in the Mole Valley area are now 'C of E Church Aided !
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Oh Dear ! JR --- you only watch two TV channels ---- We have Cable (Virgin) and I have the constant dilemma of which Channel to watch out of some 60 ! ! -- it is trus that many of them are total Rubbish, but I suppose that Channel 4 and the BBC Continuous News Channel are worth their space.
I have to confess that if any programe containing Jonathan Woss appears, it is instantly changed :axe: --- I am so glad he was beaten by Harry Hill (Who is funny) for the Bafta Award !
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote: I have to confess that if any programe containing Jonathan Woss appears, it is instantly changed :axe: --- I am so glad he was beaten by Harry Hill (Who is funny) for the Bafta Award !
Nice one Neill !

We instantly change channels in this house if that foul-mouthed, arrogant, self opinionated tw@t ever comes on. I met and chatted for ages to his presenter brother Paul at a pedigree cat-show I was stewarding at. A totally different person to his brother. Polite and charming and taking a genuine interest in what was going on around him as he and his crew filmed.
A Dirty Old Jack
3rd Former

Post by A Dirty Old Jack »

J.R. wrote:I read a broad spectrum of papers....
'E only reads the Daily Sport, that John Rutley does.

I knows because I delivers it to 'is hexecutive residence, I does.

Me career has not progressed at the rate what I had 'oped.
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

A Dirty Old Jack wrote:
J.R. wrote:I read a broad spectrum of papers....
'E only reads the Daily Sport, that John Rutley does.

I knows because I delivers it to 'is hexecutive residence, I does.

Me career has not progressed at the rate what I had 'oped.
Brilliant! Dirty you may be, old I doubt, but funny for sure! :lol: :lol: Where have you been for over 2 years? (I know, delivering newspapers...)
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

See? A Dirty Old Jack does exist! I told you so, JR! :wink:

And all the time, he was nearer than you realised. Through the letter box.
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

an alter-ego, alive and well and ............ ?
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

J.R. wrote:an alter-ego, alive and well and ............ ?
... remarkably similar in looks! :lol:

(I don't mean it really JR!)
lonelymom :rolleyes:
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

Why is anyone still under the assumption that this is a Christian country? Our heritage comes not from Christianity but from the 18th century European humanist enlightenment. Christianity was a pretty gruesome affair until then. Witchcraft and heresy trials, Old Testament fire and brimstone from the pulpit, being fined if you failed to attend church. As Kenneth Clark observed in his memorable Civilisation series on TV all those years ago - after the barbaric wars of religion in the 16th and 17th centuries, people were ready for a bit of peace and quiet. Voltaire et al promoted natural law, natural justice and a greater degree of tolerance of speech and action (and indeed of worship if that's what you wanted). The free speech bit is enshrined to this day in the libel law that says, generally, that there is no libel of a group and that robust comment and even mockery can be justified by the get-out of "fair comment on a matter of public interest". From Denmark came the cartoon of the prophet Mohammed: from the middle-east came the threat to kill the cartoonist. Theocratic states have almost always restricted speech and action. Developed western Europe is a bastion of many different freedoms that we now take for granted. Giles Fraser said that the modern day state-attached Anglican church, by taking God out of religion, had inoculated this country against the genie of religious fanaticism which has now lain dormant for centuries. So when you look at the modern day gentle, liberal, dogma-lite English Anglican church, what you're actually seeing is a church that has learned to wear enlightenment clothes while singing All Things Bright and Beautiful.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

rockfreak wrote:Why is anyone still under the assumption that this is a Christian country? Our heritage comes not from Christianity but from the 18th century European humanist enlightenment. Christianity was a pretty gruesome affair until then. Witchcraft and heresy trials, Old Testament fire and brimstone from the pulpit, being fined if you failed to attend church. As Kenneth Clark observed in his memorable Civilisation series on TV all those years ago - after the barbaric wars of religion in the 16th and 17th centuries, people were ready for a bit of peace and quiet. Voltaire et al promoted natural law, natural justice and a greater degree of tolerance of speech and action (and indeed of worship if that's what you wanted). The free speech bit is enshrined to this day in the libel law that says, generally, that there is no libel of a group and that robust comment and even mockery can be justified by the get-out of "fair comment on a matter of public interest". From Denmark came the cartoon of the prophet Mohammed: from the middle-east came the threat to kill the cartoonist. Theocratic states have almost always restricted speech and action. Developed western Europe is a bastion of many different freedoms that we now take for granted. Giles Fraser said that the modern day state-attached Anglican church, by taking God out of religion, had inoculated this country against the genie of religious fanaticism which has now lain dormant for centuries. So when you look at the modern day gentle, liberal, dogma-lite English Anglican church, what you're actually seeing is a church that has learned to wear enlightenment clothes while singing All Things Bright and Beautiful.

Just to get you going again, Freaky.....

We are a Monachy. with the Queen as head of the Church of England.

No, I'm NOT against any other religions. I just don't want them trying to convert me and I wish they would realise where they have chosen to live....

"When in Rome, do as......."