Should Christ's Hospital Stop Being a Faith School?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Re: Should Christ’s Hospital Stop Being a Faith School?

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

If you need an example of Faiths living in harmony --- go to Mauritius, where there are Churches (Of various denominations) Hindu Temples, Mosques, Sikh Temples, and Non Faith organisations --- all living side- by- side, some literally on the same road ! Each has their particular day of prayer, respected by the others.
A Mauritian remarked to me --- "We are to small an Island (60 Miles by 40 Miles) to have religious quarrels !
I thought they might send a Missionart to Northern Ireland !
It is my favourite Holiday Spot -- the only down side is that it is in the Southern Indian Ocean and therefore a 12 hour overnight flight ! ! but Palms, Coral, coconuts and Rum,--- who could ask for more ?
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Chrissie Boy wrote:
Another thing I felt distinctly uncomfortable with was having to turn out and stand in the Quad on Remembrance Sunday. The whole Poppy Appeal/Remembrance Sunday thing is decidedly questionable at the best of times, I think. Mind you, I for one also feel pretty prickly about this contemporary business of regiments parading through town centres on their return from Afghanistan and Iraq, especially if the local clergy allow themselves to get dragged into the equation. And how anyone can be a chaplain in the Armed Forces is beyond me. Shouldn't such persons devote themselves to encouraging servicemen to quit the services?
It is the government which you/your parents / ancestors helped to vote intp power who sent those soldiers to France / Malaya / Borneo / Honduras / Falklands / Oman /Macedonia area /Iraq / Afganistan and the rest so YOU bear some responsibility. It is also a reminder to those in power NOT to commit troops unless absolutely necessary. If you don't like it, follow the 900,000 per annum who leave Britain.
You are also recommending that clergymen recommend that soldiers breach their contracts of employment; encouraging someone to break a contract can be a criminal offence and I suspect that if military law is also involved then it could be even more serious.

Chrissie Boy wrote:There's still a strong whiff of this same old-guard attitude to Christianity at Christ's Hospital, ie if you're a sensible, responsible member of society then you must also be serious about the armed forces, Christianity etc., even though such things are minority pursuits in today's society and with good reason. A hangover from the days of Empire, I think, and not one to be encouraged.
I cannot see that Christianity can be a hang-over from the Empire. As for the days of Empire, I was noticed at a drumming at JFK airport because I obviously knew what was going on. The person who noticed me was Finance Minister after I left Ghana and he confided that although the British made many mistakes in Ghana they only made one big mistake; the decision to leave. I have heard similar in Nigeria though not from someone so at the centre of things. Obviously Empire had distinct advantages for the countries being helped.

(A drumming" ceremony is an official welcome for the Asantehene - the "king" of the Ashanti peoples. The ceremony is very similar to a Macumba ceremony I witnessed in Rio de Janeiro - slightly unnerving! )
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Do you suppose that Chrissie Boy and Spoonbill are related ?
I believe that neither of them are sending Posts for any other reason than to wind us up and enjoy the fury which they engender.
I once asked why Vandals destroy Bus Shelters -- what pleasure do they get from it ? his reply was "They know it will wind somebody up !"
I would place both Spoonbill and Chrissieboy, in the same category.
Having served King (and Queen) and Country, they have made a marked success in my case, and for that reason I have decided NOT to send either of them a "Private Message" --- I think this Public One may do ----
GET A LIFE !
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

:clap:
lonelymom :rolleyes:
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

They're entitled to their opinions Neill, same as you are. "Get a life" is a curious thing to say to someone just because you disagree with them.
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
Chrissie Boy
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Chrissie Boy »

sejintenej wrote

It is the government which you/your parents / ancestors helped to vote intp power who sent those soldiers to France / Malaya / Borneo / Honduras / Falklands / Oman /Macedonia area /Iraq / Afganistan and the rest so YOU bear some responsibility. It is also a reminder to those in power NOT to commit troops unless absolutely necessary. If you don't like it, follow the 900,000 per annum who leave Britain.
You are also recommending that clergymen recommend that soldiers breach their contracts of employment; encouraging someone to break a contract can be a criminal offence and I suspect that if military law is also involved then it could be even more serious.

(1) I have never voted any government into power. I have never voted in a general election, because there has to my mind never been a truly electable party on offer for which I have felt I could vote in all conscience. You don't know me, so please don't invent nonsense about me. (2) Why should I leave my country when it's being wrecked by idiots and when the ordinary people are being made, national security-wise, to pay the price for their own government's ill-thought-out overseas policies? If ever there was a time to stay put in one's home country and take issue with the government, it's now. What would running away from the problem achieve except its perpetuation? (3) No, I'm not recommending that soldiers breach their contracts of employment. I'm saying that Christian clergy should encourage them to, if they understand the basic principles of the religion they preach.

sejintenej wrote:

I cannot see that Christianity can be a hang-over from the Empire. As for the days of Empire, I was noticed at a drumming at JFK airport because I obviously knew what was going on. The person who noticed me was Finance Minister after I left Ghana and he confided that although the British made many mistakes in Ghana they only made one big mistake; the decision to leave. I have heard similar in Nigeria though not from someone so at the centre of things. Obviously Empire had distinct advantages for the countries being helped.

Leaving the countries of the empire wasn't a mistake by Britain. In most instances, it was down to demands for independence by the native populations, coupled with how Britain was made to feel about still being an old-style expansionist nation in the post-Nazi era. It was an inevitability. For people in Ghana or Nigeria to blame Britain for leaving is frankly absurd. True, older people in Jamaica also often say that life was infinitely better when Britain ruled the island, but they have the sense to point out that Britain's departure was caused by hot-heads who demanded independence without thinking the whole thing through fully first.

Not that this has much to do with compulsory chapel at CH.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

In reply to Jo ----- I believe that there are more important things, than winding people up -- deliberately.
Hence my remark -- "Get a Life !" Should we not try to be positive ?
As I said --- Chrissie Boy managed to offend me, I explained why, I have not assulted him -- (Though tempted :lol: )
You say we are entitled to our own opinions ---- I have stated mine !
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Back off all!
Compulsory Chapel ended a long time ago (except for some particular commitments in termtime) and things are very different for the kids at CH now.
We've all been through the regime(s) which were in place in our time but if they do not suit us now, let them go! It's in the past.
It's interesting to read people's views on this Forum, but when things get heated and even personal, that's the time to duck out.
As Neill says, 'get a life'....
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

Fair enough Kerren, I just don't like to see people labelled as trolls and told to "get a life" because their views are somewhat different from those of other forum members. I don't happen to agree with them either but that doesn't mean I think they're "deliberately winding people up".

As for assaulting another forum member.......what, punching one's computer screen??? :D :D

:axe:
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Punching one's computer screen ------ doesn't everybody ? :lol:
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:Punching one's computer screen ------ doesn't everybody ? :lol:
NOPE - But the air can get a bit blue from time to time !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
minihobo89
2nd Former

Post by minihobo89 »

I vote NO because then it would only be called 'Hospital'...it's already confusing as it is!! Save us!
Jo Sharp
Leigh Hunt A '00-'06
Grecians East '06-'07
Bingo the Poop-Eating Dog
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Bingo the Poop-Eating Dog »

kerrensimmonds wrote: Compulsory Chapel ended a long time ago (except for some particular commitments in termtime) and things are very different for the kids at CH now.
Gorblimey, fan me wiv a cold kipper guvna.

No compulsory chapel services? Not even for the under-15s?

Since when?

And do the choir and clergy play to an empty house?

I'm flabbergasted, innit.
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

Bingo the Poop-Eating Dog wrote:
kerrensimmonds wrote: Compulsory Chapel ended a long time ago (except for some particular commitments in termtime) and things are very different for the kids at CH now.
Gorblimey, fan me wiv a cold kipper guvna.

No compulsory chapel services? Not even for the under-15s?

Since when?

And do the choir and clergy play to an empty house?

I'm flabbergasted, innit.
:lol: :lol: Now that Bingo mentions it, just how many pupils would be there if it was completely voluntary? Have things changed so much?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Ajarn Philip wrote:
:lol: :lol: Now that Bingo mentions it, just how many pupils would be there if it was completely voluntary? Have things changed so much ?
Must all be part of the Headmasters 'New Regime' we're all hearing about !

:axe:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.