Matron memories

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Barnes Mum
Deputy Grecian

Matron memories

Post by Barnes Mum »

Browsing through all the posts on the forum it is obvious, and understandable, that things have changed at CH through the years. As a Matron at the school today it would be really interesting to hear all your stories and memories of your Matrons. I wonder if our role has changed much?
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Re: Matron memories

Post by englishangel »

Considering Matrons are almost a surrogate Mum (in the old sense) it is surprising that there are not more comments on here. We Hertford OBs have a "Housemistresses" thread, but apart from Pupil/Teacher memories there is not anything from Horsham.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Barnes Mum
Deputy Grecian

Post by Barnes Mum »

I'd love to hear about Hertford Matrons too, as I'm a Matron in a girls House. :)
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Long before your time, Barnes B had a Matron named Miss Watts.
She was "In Charge" of both A nd B Houses and ran the domestic duties of both, with admirable efficiency.
Her "Maids" were rarely seen, but Laundry collection and delivery appeared, and disappeared, as if by magic.
She was obsessed with cleanliness and personal hygeine---- fingernail inspection for Juniors -- less obvious obsevation of Seniors -- and I remember her with a mixture of Awe, Respect, Admiration and a certain amount of Affection.
She, and Housemaster L.M. Carey "Brought me up" from 1940 to 1946 and I am grateful.

I shall be at CH on Saturday -- Old Blue's Day ----- but I don't expect we will have any opportunity to see how the current Matrons, are performing a difficult, but I hope rewarding, Career

Perhaps those OBs who are as interested as I, could ask ?

My last visit to Barnes B, was some years ago, and I was given a conducted Tour by some of the Seniors ---- My ! how the place has changed ! ! :oops:
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1022

Here you are Becca. I think we girls did many of the chores Matrons did in boys houses, sorting laundry (clean AND dirty yeuch), sewing and repairs etc.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

I concur with every word from Neill except that I was in Lamb B (49-55) and our Matron was Miss Hull. Matrons did not have Christian names or nicknames, and their word was LAW.
:shock:
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

Anyone from Barnes B in the mid 60's will remember Miss Van Alphen, after getting ready for bed aged 11 years we had to queue up to be inspected. She waited with one of the reading lamps, hands checked first then behind the ears, each foot was then required to be put up on the settle and the foot was then turned so she could inspect the base. If considered unclean we would be sent back to wash again.
Matron also had a room between the houses on the first floor where we went to sew buttons back on our coats.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

You see -- Barnes Mum-- the tradition, which you have to follow !
I suspect that my, and many others' memories, may be somewhat Rose Tinted of our days at CH, but I do believe that the Matron was always held in great respect, and as I have said, with some affection.
I never knew Miss Watts' Christian name -- and would not have dared to ask !
Barnes Mum
Deputy Grecian

Post by Barnes Mum »

We don't generally have a problem with cleanliness, I don't know if this is due to being a girl's House. We tend to have to chase them out of the showers at bedtime! :axe: We do still have health inspection tho' and check for head visitors! :)
Barnes Mum
Deputy Grecian

Post by Barnes Mum »

[quote="NEILL THE NOTORIOUS"
I shall be at CH on Saturday -- Old Blue's Day ----- but I don't expect we will have any opportunity to see how the current Matrons, are performing a difficult, but I hope rewarding, Career
]

We're the ones racing around making sure the kids all look smart - so if (hopefully) you think they do, think of us! :lol:
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

Ah, I'm just wondering if Barnes Mum is the lovely lady I met last OBs' day in June 2008? I spent the day asking round where the Hertford Mons' Boards were located, until Kerren finally pointed me in the direction of Barnes B for 5s' and 6s' boards. And although Barnes B wasn't one of the "open" houses that day, my mum and I managed to gatecrash. The lady on duty was not only kind enough to let me in and take some photos, she was also indulgent enough to listen to some of my woffly reminiscences.

Truly, the house staff have changed since Hertford days!! :D :D
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
Barnes Mum
Deputy Grecian

Post by Barnes Mum »

No, I'm sorry that wasn't me. It would be nice to hear the stories tho'. I hope everyone enjoys OB's day on Saturday.
John Knight
Deputy Grecian

Post by John Knight »

Barnes Mum wrote:We're the ones racing around making sure the kids all look smart - so if (hopefully) you think they do, think of us! :lol:
I agree with Neill, Miss Watts was held in awe... especially when she, sorry, Matron, gave us that lovely tipple 'Cascara' once a week. :drinkers:
On the subject of looking smart in modern day CH, I have to say that the 'Girls' are much much smarter than the 'Boys'.
Prep B 49 / Barnes B 39 - 1946-1952
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Matrons were 'GOD' in my day !

You might try to wind a teacher up a bit, but Matron ???????????

NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS !!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
John Knight
Deputy Grecian

Post by John Knight »

Barnes Mum wrote:<> As a Matron at the school today it would be really interesting to hear all your stories and memories of your Matrons. I wonder if our role has changed much?
Are you called 'Matron' by the girls?

I dread to ask,... just in case modern CH has gone to Christian names for the staff.

John
Prep B 49 / Barnes B 39 - 1946-1952