Repeal major detrimental changes at Christ's Hospital

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

minihobo89
2nd Former

Repeal major detrimental changes at Christ's Hospital

Post by minihobo89 »

Hey guys,

This is copied and pasted from Facebook, but please please act on it if you feel it appropriate.

Imagine a ch with a shorter rock concert. less discos. Rollcall early on Sundays. 120 people in detention every week. No bed rest.

Many traditional elements of the CH way of life are being altered or even abolished completely. Aspects of education at CH aren't as they used to be, and while some change should be embraced, it is still imporant to maintain and preserve it's heritage. And of course, to make it an enjoyable environment to grow up in.

Please sign the petition. Some of the changes made by the current headmaster are highlighted.

http://gopetition.co.uk/online/27118.html

Here is the link to the facebook group which may or may not be private - apologies if it is.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group ... 4926718134

Take a look and think about how different CH would be with these changes to how you experienced it. Having left only 2 years ago I cannot imagine CH as my sister (who is a grecian) describes it when she is home.

Apparently the aim is to get the petition to 800 - the current number of pupils on roll, but obviously most of the signatures will be Old Blues wanting the CH they experienced back!

Let me know if you want more info...I'll do my best.

Thanks

Jo
Jo Sharp
Leigh Hunt A '00-'06
Grecians East '06-'07
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Re: Repeal major detrimental changes at Christ's Hospital

Post by lonelymom »

minihobo89 wrote: Imagine a ch with a shorter rock concert. less discos. Rollcall early on Sundays. 120 people in detention every week. No bed rest.
Why would I want to imagine that? It would be a complete waste of my time and energy! :roll:
lonelymom :rolleyes:
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

minihobo89 wrote:Hey guys,
Imagine a ch with a shorter rock concert. less discos. Rollcall early on Sundays. 120 people in detention every week. No bed rest.
Why are these 'major detrimental changes'?
minihobo89
2nd Former

Post by minihobo89 »

Here is the actual wording of the petition:

We the undersigned would like the following changes to be carried out forthwith:

The abolishment of using parent's income as a deciding factor when choosing Deputy Grecian and Second Form new entrants.

The reinstatement of Grecians having the choice to march with their respective boarding houses, coupled with the reinstatement house registration at marching.

The creation of a truly democratic Pupil Council, free to make decisions on behalf of the pupils and put them forward to the Headmaster directly, without any intervention or veto powers being exercised by staff in the process.

The abolishment of at least one in-house night.

The abolishment of the plan to build a cafe in the grounds of Christ's Hospital.

The reinstatement of allowing houses to show their verbal support for awards won by the house or individuals in the house.

The reinstatement of the full-length rock concert, with all seniors allowed to participate.

The reinstatement of bed-rest.

The reinstatement of more than one disco a term, and the return to venues such as Big School and Theatre.
Jo Sharp
Leigh Hunt A '00-'06
Grecians East '06-'07
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

Oh, I see! You are in FAVOUR of re-instating those things? Your original post made it sound like you wanted to get rid of them! Well then, where do I sign? :D

(Just wanted to say that since I've now had some things pointed out to me, for instance, bed-rest has not been abolished and the Grecians do march still, I won't be siging the petition, and, actually didn't intend to anyway!!!)
Last edited by lonelymom on Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

By the way, when did bed-rest get abolished?
:?
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

Plan to build a cafe??

A nice coffee shop wouldn`t be such a bad idea (NOT Starbucks please!)!
What`s wrong with a cafe??
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
minihobo89
2nd Former

Post by minihobo89 »

Apparently...

Bed-rest is on the list to be abolished

We already have grecians club which pretty much is a cafe anyway...and sports centre...the school's been given £1000 so I guess it could be spent on a much better cause when we're pretty cafe-ed out for a site of 1000 people!

As I say...it's all apparently, however, I left CH 2 years ago and my sis is still there (she's also a monitor). When she comes home for Leave Weekends it sounds like she's talking about a completely different school to the one I left. As a monitor team, they feel like their duties are double/triple what monitors duties used to be and she is regretting becoming a monitor. This is really sad I think...monitors should be stretched but it's sounding extreme. My sis is so patient, it must be pretty bad for her to make such a big deal of it!

Just some thoughts!!!
Jo Sharp
Leigh Hunt A '00-'06
Grecians East '06-'07
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

Mrs C. wrote:Plan to build a cafe??

A nice coffee shop wouldn`t be such a bad idea (NOT Starbucks please!)!
What`s wrong with a cafe??
Well, it could produce a good income for CH. And give the kids somewhere to spend all that EMA!
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

minihobo89 wrote: We already have grecians club which pretty much is a cafe anyway...and sports centre...
But the grecians club is only for grecians, what about the younger kids? And does the school benefit financially from any money taken in the cafe at the sports centre?
minihobo89
2nd Former

Post by minihobo89 »

lonelymom wrote:
minihobo89 wrote: We already have grecians club which pretty much is a cafe anyway...and sports centre...
But the grecians club is only for grecians, what about the younger kids? And does the school benefit financially from any money taken in the cafe at the sports centre?
No idea about Sportie?? Sorry! Yeah I'm not too sure on details about cafe or the changes that are rumoured to be in the running to happen in the future...however I have signed the petition because of the changes that have already taken place that are taking the novelty out of CH life...what makes me appreciate it so much. The Grecians that are leaving CH this year (the ones I know) have so many negative things to say about the school as they leave. I left with tonnes of positive memories, especially of my last two years.
Jo Sharp
Leigh Hunt A '00-'06
Grecians East '06-'07
cstegerlewis
Deputy Grecian

Post by cstegerlewis »

minihobo89 wrote:We the undersigned would like the following changes to be carried out forthwith:

The abolishment of using parent's income as a deciding factor when choosing Deputy Grecian and Second Form new entrants.
Agree if true, but not Mr Franklin's decision - I would like an Governing body comment on this before I support your stance
The reinstatement of Grecians having the choice to march with their respective boarding houses, coupled with the reinstatement house registration at marching.
Seems reasonable
The creation of a truly democratic Pupil Council, free to make decisions on behalf of the pupils and put them forward to the Headmaster directly, without any intervention or veto powers being exercised by staff in the process.
Why?
The abolishment of at least one in-house night.
Just about every night was in house bight in the eighties, count yourself lucky
The abolishment of the plan to build a cafe in the grounds of Christ's Hospital.
Sounds like a good idea to me
The reinstatement of allowing houses to show their verbal support for awards won by the house or individuals in the house.
Don't get it, isn't applause enough?
The reinstatement of the full-length rock concert, with all seniors allowed to participate.
The rock concert was a creation of the 80's, hardly fundamental to the nearly 5 and a half centuries of tradition that went before
The reinstatement of bed-rest.
What on earth is that? - if it is medically recommended OK, otherwise get out of bed you lazy layabouts :evil: Yet another thing not invented in the 80's, so hardly goes to the founding belief of the school
The reinstatement of more than one disco a term, and the return to venues such as Big School and Theatre.
Most 'discos' were in boarding houses, or in the grecian's club (I guess a 60's creation) - but the dayrooms have gone now which was the venue for such things.

Overall a valiant but misguided attempt to invoke the spirit of Ridley and the founders, over a bunch of reasonably minor traditions that have less than 20 years history.....strikes me that Mr. Franklin is slightly more disciplpined than the last SMT, my thoughts are 'get over it' and enjoy your time while you can.

I have not signed your petition
Craig Steger-Lewis
Ba.B 25, Mid B 25, Mid A42
1982-1989
minihobo89
2nd Former

Post by minihobo89 »

Granted - the specifics seem (and, arguably, are) petty. And these specifics - as you say - were put in place over a period of decades...but yet it has taken 2 years to get rid of all of them and more. Seems a bit fast to me. Obviously CH, like all other educational establishments and systems, has to evolve with the times...but this has happened so fast and it doesn't appear to be particularly positive....just pure awkward...especially for the grecians who had 6 years of CH changing at a steady rate, to suddenly have it radically changed in their final two years.
Jo Sharp
Leigh Hunt A '00-'06
Grecians East '06-'07
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

minihobo89 wrote: The abolishment of using parent's income as a deciding factor when choosing Deputy Grecian and Second Form new entrants.
Not sure what you mean by this - could you explain further please?
minihobo89
2nd Former

Post by minihobo89 »

lonelymom wrote:
minihobo89 wrote: The abolishment of using parent's income as a deciding factor when choosing Deputy Grecian and Second Form new entrants.
Not sure what you mean by this - could you explain further please?
There was an article on this in the last 'Blue' I think, maybe the one from last year. The headmaster is filling up the full-fee paying places, based on income & talent/diversity/normal things that CH looks for in new entrants. So for example...when I joined CH (in 2000), I was chosen purely because of what they saw on MY application form and the entrance exam weekend. They would not have considered my financial form as part of my application.

But now they WILL consider financial forms so that they can fill up a certain percentage of places with children who's parents can pay the full fees for their sons/daughters.

Correct me if I'm wrong on any of this - I'm writing what I can remember from that article!!
Jo Sharp
Leigh Hunt A '00-'06
Grecians East '06-'07