Science Day

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Jobaker
2nd Former

Science Day

Post by Jobaker »

Hi! :) I haven't been on this forum for quite a while... but was wondering if anyone is going to the Science Day on 28th June? I'm planning on going but don't know of anyone else who's going... and am also wondering if anyone has any (affordable) recommendations of where I could stay? I'm coming down from Liverpool, so will have to come the night before and stay the night of the 28th as well.

Anyway, I'd love to know if anyone's going... and would really appreciate ideas of where I could stay. :)

Jo Baker
LHA (99-01) Grecians East (01-02)

Senior Staff, Christian Survivors Ministries
http://www.christiansurvivors.com
http://www.christiansurvivors.com/forums
CHAZ
Grecian

Re: Science Day

Post by CHAZ »

I am not going but Paul Maddren was my House Tutor in LHA and then also in PeB (1982-1984). I did not have him as a Chemistry teacher because in my year he taught Set 1 and I was in Set 6!

Still we won a House singing competition with him when I was in Pe.B and he also had a great beard in the 80s...

Good bloke and another great service to CH...35 years.
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

Jo,
Somewhere to stay. I recommend the Billingshurst Five Oaks Travelodge. It is no more than three miles from the school, mostly along very quiet back roads. It is a bit pricey if you stay on your own, cheaper if there are two, and there are frequent discounts if you book well ahead. Parking is no problem, and the room is always clean. See Internet under TravelodgeUK
:shock:
Jobaker
2nd Former

Post by Jobaker »

CHAZ wrote:I am not going but Paul Maddren was my House Tutor in LHA and then also in PeB (1982-1984). I did not have him as a Chemistry teacher because in my year he taught Set 1 and I was in Set 6!

Still we won a House singing competition with him when I was in Pe.B and he also had a great beard in the 80s...

Good bloke and another great service to CH...35 years.
Paul is a great bloke for sure... part of the reason I want to go is to wish him well in his retirement and to thank him for all he did for me while I was at CH. :)
Foureyes wrote:Jo,
Somewhere to stay. I recommend the Billingshurst Five Oaks Travelodge. It is no more than three miles from the school, mostly along very quiet back roads. It is a bit pricey if you stay on your own, cheaper if there are two, and there are frequent discounts if you book well ahead. Parking is no problem, and the room is always clean. See Internet under TravelodgeUK
Thanks! I'll look into that. It is probably most likely I'll be staying on my own as I don't know of anyone else that's going. Is it easy to get to CH from there via public transport? (I don't drive)

Jo Baker
LHA (99-01) Grecians East (01-02)

Senior Staff, Christian Survivors Ministries
http://www.christiansurvivors.com
http://www.christiansurvivors.com/forums
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

I ALWAYS stay at Mrs P Alway, Meadow House, Church Lane , Southwater, W. Sussex.
Tel No.(01403) 730324 ---- close to the School, and just beyond the Bax Castle Inn, which is good for Evening meals.
Cost about £45 for two of us in twin room B&B, But give her a ring for single price.
NO she is not a relation of mine ! But I have found her very considerate in ringing round to find other accommodation, when she was full --- Wedding in Southwater ! !
The House is large, nice and has about an Acre of gardens which makes for quiet nights !
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

Is it easy to get to CH from there via public transport? (I don't drive)
Sorry, but if you do not drive, then best forget it. The nearest station is Billingshurst, and that is a taxi ride away. You would also need a taxi (or a lift from another Old Blue) to get to and from the school. So, all in all, not a good idea!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Is there not a bus service to CH from Horsham ?
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
ailurophile
Deputy Grecian

Post by ailurophile »

Just curious, but what is Science Day? Is this an event for OBs? I ask because we have 28 June down as Parents Day. If the two events are simultaneous, we'll be driving up and would be more than happy to give Jo a lift from Billingshurst (or indeed from anywhere else in the neighbourhood of CH!).

And by the way, the nearest station is not Billingshurst - there's a station at CH, about ten minutes stroll (or a much shorter taxi ride!) from the school.
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

I think foureyes was referring to the nearest station to Billingshurst Five Oaks Travelodge, which he suggested as accommodation about 5 posts previously :)
lonelymom :rolleyes:
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

Lonelymum is correct - I was referring to the nearest railway station to the Billingshurst Five Oaks Travelodge - which, by the way, is well outside Billingshurst and nobody I have spoken to knows where the five oaks trees were - or if, indeed, they existed in the first place.

I have another piece of advice for Jobaker (hopefully of more value than my earlier attempt) which is to ring Wendy Killner and explain the problem - I am sure that she will have an answer. That said, Mrs Alway looks like a good bet! (That would make a first-class commercial jingle "Always stay with Alway!")
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

Further details are here:-
http://www.chassociation.org/news/index.php#619

Julian
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Foureyes wrote:Nobody I have spoken to knows where the five oaks trees were - or if, indeed, they existed in the first place.
Three of the five still exist.

If travelling south towards Bognor on the A.29, (from the Dorking end), they are just off the road on the right hand side, about 75 yards apart, if memory serves.

I was told a few years ago that the other 2 gave way to age and disease quite a few years ago.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

What about the premier travel inn just by Horsham Station?
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99