SHOES !!!!!!

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

sport!
Deputy Grecian

Re: SHOES !!!!!!

Post by sport! »

lonelymom wrote:Oh! Don't know. Possibly because she only had 2 weeks left of the school year and it wasn't worth buying new ones? Or here's a thought - maybe she was in Horsham buying new shoes?! Or shoe polish?!
Of course, once upon a time the school provided the shoes as part of the uniform; no buying your own.
BaB, ColB 1973-80
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

sport! wrote:
lonelymom wrote:Oh! Don't know. Possibly because she only had 2 weeks left of the school year and it wasn't worth buying new ones? Or here's a thought - maybe she was in Horsham buying new shoes?! Or shoe polish?!
Of course, once upon a time the school provided the shoes as part of the uniform; no buying your own.

Exactly !

And if you moaned they were too tight, or pinched your toes, you were told...........

"Don't worry ! They'll loosen up with wear !!"

(There's that cotton-wool again !) :axe:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

There's a reminder!
Hand-me-down shoes, mended and mended and mended again. Can't have been very good for our feet. And I remember having to trek down to the shoe man (did he also dish out as well as repair shoes?) in a poky little place at the end of the cloisters. I suppose some people at some point must have been issued with a brand new pair of shoes and were thus the first person to wear them, but I don't recall that.
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I had enormpus feet (for the time, they are only a 7 which is quite normal now) so there were rarely hand=me-downs to fit. The downside was that when smaller neater shoes were delivered (about 1967) they only went up to a 6 so I was stuck with the clodhoppers.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:YEAH --- BUT !
A nice tradition to wear the Family Broadies ----- but it still begs the question -- WHY AT THE BACK ?

A silly tradition ,of my time, was to wear the Broadie at the lowest level, indicating your Seniority.
Button Grecians were in serious danger of falling flat on their faces !

There was also a tradition of twisting a Broadie, to form a short "Truncheon" for corporal punishment ! !
Oh it were all gurt vun in them days !
We used to slit narrow girdles almost end to end twice; from that one could plait the the three bits of leather into a belt using the original ends which were still attached. Not sure but I suspect some people wore them in place of the conventional girdle.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote: Also worn there, are "Unofficial" medals which have not been recognised by HM Gov.
There is an Elderly Gentleman in our Church (NOT I ) who wears a medal, on the right, presented to him by Stalin, for service on the Arctic Convoys
Neill; you sound mildly disapproving. At the time the USSR under Stalin was an ally and the Arctic convoys were an Allied attempt to help the USSR. I'm not sure if the UK issued a campaign medal for the Artic Convoys - they certainly should have. Just by taking part, your Elderly Gentleman earned any such compaign medal even if it was issued by an ally.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:I have a couple of "Similar" from Eritrea (Don't ask !) and a Hadenawah (Fuzzy Wuzzy) Sheikh (Don't ask again !)
Depends entirely on what you did to "deserve" them; only you know if you should be deported and to where!

As for Hadenawah, seems to me that you have found a Ceylon connection - hardly fuzzy ......
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

On the contrarary --- I am not disapproving of the old boy's efforts during the War --- Remember I was old enough to appreciate them !
As to Hadenowah -- that is the nearest I could get to the pronounciation of the proper name of the "Fuzzy Wuzzy" People who occupy (Or did ) mst of the Nubian Desert. Wonderful People.
Normally their hair is cut off, when they cease to be a Warrior, leaving a "Pigtail" to be taken up to Heaven.
One chap had full "Fuzz" but snow white ! I asked -- through my interpreter -- Why ?
He had WALKED, with his sword and shield the 150 miles to Omdurman, to join in the Jehad battle called by the Mahdi.
When there , he was squatting behind his shield (Which, he said, would turn any knife or sword) and advancing in that position, as they did , --- when a hole appeared in it -------- !!!
Being an intelligent bloke, he realised the implications, ---- and WALKED home.
He was , for ever, regarded as a Warrior -- he had been at the great Battle !
So, by the way, was my Grandfather ---- a REAL soldier,
End of History Lesson ! :lol:
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

I was there when they stopped doing shoes. Until the year after merger we got school shoes from the Wardrobe and Matron would give you a heal or sole chit when they were worn and needed repair. You always got new shools but when they were in for repair you had a borrowed pair. Had to queue up at 8:30 am to exchange them.

As others have said only MaineB (Grimshaw) and LambB ( Shipham) were I think still doing daily morning shoe inspection.

Muddy shoes (and dirty coat hem / green socks) were generally a sign of a smoker and were referred to as smokers shoe as the only reason to be walking across mud was to go to one of the various copses used to smoke
Barnes Mum
Deputy Grecian

Post by Barnes Mum »

wurzel wrote:
Muddy shoes (and dirty coat hem / green socks) were generally a sign of a smoker and were referred to as smokers shoe as the only reason to be walking across mud was to go to one of the various copses used to smoke
Sadly, this is still the case. :?
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Re: Back to Front

Post by sejintenej »

John Knight wrote:
Momto2 wrote:If it's any help, my son lives in fear of the School Marshall who is, I believe, in charge of correct uniform etc. (Correct me if I'm wrong)
Oh good!!! the school has somebody in charge of the 'correct wearing of the uniform'.
I really would like to talk to him about wearing the Broadie Buckle at the front, where it is supposed to be....
The next time I am at CH I will try to meet up with him.
John... (back on my old pet dislike about modern CH)
Following AKAP's "Highway" at CH thread I followed the link an extra step to the film of the Marchpast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbL0HxXm ... re=related

Every band member appears to have the broadie buckle centre back. I could perhaps understand with cymbals, perhaps side drums but the buckle surely would not interfere with the movement of most instruments. At least one flag carrier was carrying it on the wrong shoulder; are standards slipping as much as one commentator (not me) suggests?
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Requested Removal 18
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Requested Removal 18 »

When I was at CH it seemed that you got your Broadie on the LE (on our year they were "downgraded" from solid silver to silver plate if I remember correctly) and wore it at the front. Then from the UF onwards you could wear it how you liked. Don't honestly remember how "gospel" this was but to be honest I don't think that many people really cared! :lol:
dinahcat
Deputy Grecian

Post by dinahcat »

wurzel wrote:

Sadly, this is still the case.

I don't get this at all. The shoes are an OK topic . Nice clean shoes are .. nice . I just don't inderstand the school's faint hearted attitude to smoking. There seems to be a really namby pamby load of nonsense in terms of policy which says how many chances any one who smokes will have and how they will be invited to take part in counsellling and so on.The main thing I get from various threads on here and the school literature is that it's too hard to police as the site is too big and staff can't be bothered to deal with it. Even if you are a smoker you can't say smoking is a good thing. Why it's even tolerated in a school is beyond me and seems a bit more imprtant that whether shoes are clean or not. It is better than a couple of years ago but if I get one more comment from my own children that they are sick of sitting next to children who stink of cigarette smoke and brag about it then I will have to complain.
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

If it upsets you that much, why wait to complain?

Being realistic, it is completely impossible to police the entire campus, together with bits of the surrounding countryside. I'm sure the authorities do their best to control smoking, but if a teenager wants to slink off for a smoke then he or she will always find a time and a place (I speak from experience here). I would be astonished if the staff "can't be bothered to deal with it", as you put it. Their working days are very full and long, leaving little time to go poking around under bushes.

Perhaps you should at least be grateful that smoking is now much less socially acceptable and much less affordable than was the case when I was at C.H.
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Well, having just watched the 10 minute vid of the Marchpast, I have to ask myself if 'Bill' Bailey, Bandmaster in my day, would have been happy with the musical performance of the band on the day.

..... I have to answer, NO !!!!

On arrival back at the band room, his cigarette packet would be out and he would have started by absolutely ranting at the side (snare) drummers. Who he would have picked on next is anybodies guess !

JH comments would be appreciated.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

J.R. wrote:Well, having just watched the 10 minute vid of the Marchpast, I have to ask myself if 'Bill' Bailey, Bandmaster in my day, would have been happy with the musical performance of the band on the day.

..... I have to answer, NO !!!!

On arrival back at the band room, his cigarette packet would be out and he would have started by absolutely ranting at the side (snare) drummers. Who he would have picked on next is anybodies guess !

JH comments would be appreciated.
I have to say that when you are actually playing in the band, it is quite difficult to know how good you are as a band. It is easy to identify the occasional mistake, but whether Bandy´s bands were better than later or earlier bands, I cannot say.
Playing with the village band, most of whose musicians are of school age, (11 - 18), only about 2 would get into a CH band. Nevertheless, we are compared favourably with some of the other village bands. So I find it difficult to comment on the musical standard in "Marchpast". They did play a march I had never played, and another where the trombones have quite an interesting part. It was also good to see that the woodwind have boring parts as well.
Bandy was certainly famous for his rants, but I never bothered as they were very calm compared to my father´s. (He was a policeman who played the "Bad Cop" role in interrogations. He practiced at home).
Bandy got me once when I swapped places with someone in a band practice (Noel Abel, I think), who couldn't see the music. I claimed to know it by heart, so he made me play it solo, and then asked me to play a bit from a piece we were practising for a concert. Egg on face as I had only seen it once and had certainly not practised it.
He then told me that he was the one who placed people in the band, not me, and to get back to where I was.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

I know it is a "Military Attitude" but I still believe that you can tell a lot about a person (Male or Female) from their shoes.

(What Cad wears brown shoes, with a blue Suit ?? :lol: )

In the 40s -- and obviously since-- attention was paid, under Monitor supervision-- to the cleanliness of shoes.

As to appearing in Horsham ------ we were not allowed there, at all --- unless accompanied by our Parents, on Visiting Days
(Saturday and Sunday)

I expect a lot of "Flak" from modern thinking OBs ---------- but I dont care ! :D