YOU MUST SEE THIS!

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

sejintenej
Button Grecian

Re: YOU MUST SEE THIS!

Post by sejintenej »

PeA31 wrote:If we went to Mansion House for lunch it must surely have been St Paul's we went to. Which may be right 'cos I can't for the life of me remember lunchthat day.

A couple of years later we did the Lord Mayor's show for the first time, which I think was the first non-school event we ever did (except for a brief appearance at a Horsham High School for Girls fete and a select few taking part in Iolanthe put on by some Horsham am-dram outfit).
A rather belated welcome to The Forum.
Traditionally the boys marched to St Sepulchure's Church which is diagonally opposite the Old Bailey; I assume that that was the church used by the school when it was in Newgate Street (about 100 yards from the church). After the service we would march to the Mansion House to receive our newly minted shilling (shades of the press gang - I suspect that Button Grecians got more)) and congregate in the main hall there. It was usually about 250 boys (shillings were handed out to the rest in school) but in 1953 the entire boys school went. I don't remember any girls ever being present but perhaps they were shunted off to the dungeons, never to be seen by the males!

I know that St Sepulchure's was closed for renovation well after I left so perhaps they found a different place to occupy during the interim.

I find the idea of going to Westminster Abbey unlikely. a) It is so close to the Palace of Westminster that I suspect that Mr Plod would have nixed the idea on security grounds before it was even suggested. b) I'm not sure which terminal would have been used - possibly Victoria but that area is so traffic-choked that the idea of slowing / blocking traffic even more for some mere school for the kids of the poverty-stricken to go for a morning stroll would not have sat well with the Plodders or County Hall. c) Westminster Abbey has no historical connection with the school that I am aware of; the connection is with the (square mile type) City.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
PeA31
2nd Former

Post by PeA31 »

The connection with Westminster at that time was the Chaplain was great mates with the then Dean of the Abbey. Also I don't think security was such a big deal then! However I wouldn't be 100% certain about Westminster being the location for the whole school outing - maybe someone else can remember.

The more normal St Matthew's day jaunts in my day were to St Sepulchre but I think before WW2 they went to Newgate Church which was even closer to the old site. It got bombed out in the war and the shell still stands opposite the Bailey.

This year's parade was from St Andrew's on Holborn. No idea why.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

sejintenej wrote:
PeA31 wrote:If we went to Mansion House for lunch it must surely have been St Paul's we went to. Which may be right 'cos I can't for the life of me remember lunchthat day.

A couple of years later we did the Lord Mayor's show for the first time, which I think was the first non-school event we ever did (except for a brief appearance at a Horsham High School for Girls fete and a select few taking part in Iolanthe put on by some Horsham am-dram outfit).
A rather belated welcome to The Forum.
Traditionally the boys marched to St Sepulchure's Church which is diagonally opposite the Old Bailey; I assume that that was the church used by the school when it was in Newgate Street (about 100 yards from the church). After the service we would march to the Mansion House to receive our newly minted shilling (shades of the press gang - I suspect that Button Grecians got more)) and congregate in the main hall there. It was usually about 250 boys (shillings were handed out to the rest in school) but in 1953 the entire boys school went. I don't remember any girls ever being present but perhaps they were shunted off to the dungeons, never to be seen by the males!

I know that St Sepulchure's was closed for renovation well after I left so perhaps they found a different place to occupy during the interim.

I find the idea of going to Westminster Abbey unlikely. a) It is so close to the Palace of Westminster that I suspect that Mr Plod would have nixed the idea on security grounds before it was even suggested. b) I'm not sure which terminal would have been used - possibly Victoria but that area is so traffic-choked that the idea of slowing / blocking traffic even more for some mere school for the kids of the poverty-stricken to go for a morning stroll would not have sat well with the Plodders or County Hall. c) Westminster Abbey has no historical connection with the school that I am aware of; the connection is with the (square mile type) City.
We did go to Westminster Abbey in 1966 because, as Max Boyce used to say, I was there! The Hertford girls (or some of them at least) were too because I saw them.

My memory tells me that we were there for the 900th anniversary of the Battle of Hastings rather than the 900th anniversary of Westminster Abbey. I believe Westminster Abbey was older than 900 years in 1966. I believe Edward The Confessor was buried there or at least that's what Kit Aitken told me! Blame him if he isn't. :wink:
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=651&start=30

You may need to scroll to the end of this link to find a photo of Maine A marching with the rest of the School when we went to Westminster Abbey in 1966.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

sejintenej wrote:
PeA31 wrote: Traditionally the boys marched to St Sepulchure's Church which is diagonally opposite the Old Bailey; I assume that that was the church used by the school when it was in Newgate Street (about 100 yards from the church). After the service we would march to the Mansion House to receive our newly minted shilling (shades of the press gang - I suspect that Button Grecians got more)) and congregate in the main hall there. It was usually about 250 boys (shillings were handed out to the rest in school) but in 1953 the entire boys school went. I don't remember any girls ever being present but perhaps they were shunted off to the dungeons, never to be seen by the males!
The girls were certainly there in your time David! My brother managed to send me his best wishes in 1959 when I were but a squit in my first week in 6s. I can remember the Mons coming into the dayroom with a list of those being greeted by their brothers. I felt I had gained status already! Peter must have spoken to a girl for that to happen! He did not bother in later years!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
MKM
Grecian

Post by MKM »

MaryB wrote: I do remember a whole school outing to Westminster Abbey somewhere around 1966 for its 900th anniversary. Sadly, the major thing that has stuck in my mind about this outing is the typically military precision of the arrangements for toilets - we were allowed to use St Matthew's primary school which was and still is nearby, but woe betide you if you were caught short at a non-prescribed time during the day..... I also remember that lessons were read by 8 people, each representing their house and year.... Bridget Woollard read for 3s and her year.
I remember this (or possibly a similar event). Was it only the girls who went, or were the boys there too?
Mary
CH 1965-1972
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

MaryB wrote:
englishangel wrote:If the whole school went I must have been there, and I think that this has been mentioned before, as has the money given to us on St Matthew's Day, both of which have been completely erased from my memory.
I definitely don't remember it so perhaps we can conclude that the girls didn't go. I do remember a whole school outing to Westminster Abbey somewhere around 1966 for its 900th anniversary. Sadly, the major thing that has stuck in my mind about this outing is the typically military precision of the arrangements for toilets - we were allowed to use St Matthew's primary school which was and still is nearby, but woe betide you if you were caught short at a non-prescribed time during the day..... I also remember that lessons were read by 8 people, each representing their house and year.... Bridget Woollard read for 3s and her year.
I've got a bit confused about who remembers what about the girls and St Matthew's Day but I certainly remember going in the UVI and having lunch at the Mansion House. I still have my crisp one pound note, together with a button cajoled from a Grecian :D

In terms of the Westminster Abbey / Royal Mathematical School service, we had a packed lunch at the Royal Festival Hall, not the Mansion House.
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
PeA31
2nd Former

Post by PeA31 »

Glad to have confirmation that we did go to Westminster Abbey and that I'm not completely deficient in the memory department. Still can't recall the Royal Festival Hall lunch tho'....
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

PeA31 wrote:As a first timer on the forum I just picked up this thread. The reference to the 70/71 London visit with two bands must be to the **th anniversary of the Royal Mathematical School when the entire school went to Westminster Abbey. Funny thing is I can't remember which bit of the band I was in that day!
May 15th. 1973 was the date (OK, I did have to check.....). I was a third-former at the time, so it all made quite an impression. I still remember the sound of the band striking up as we marched out of Victoria Station.

Apparently a wreath was laid at the tomb of Charles II.

The cover of the November 1973 edition of The Blue features a photo of the band marching across Westminster Bridge, closely followed by girls from Hertford.
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Well that explains that one, I left in July 1972
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

englishangel wrote:Well that explains that one, I left in July 1972
You were around for the 1966 trip to Westminster Abbey which both Mary B and MKM seem to think everybody at Hertford attended just like us at Horsham.

I'm glad Richard has clarified the Royal Mathematical School trip for us because I had no recollection of that one!
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Yes, I started and finished with MKM so I AM going senile.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

If you are going senile that explains my memory lapses - i am ten years ahead of you!
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

sejintenej wrote: Traditionally the boys marched to St Sepulchure's Church which is diagonally opposite the Old Bailey; I assume that that was the church used by the school when it was in Newgate Street
When the school was in London, they used Christ Church Newgate Street as their chapel. It had been the Greyfriars' church. Christ Church was burnt down in the Great Fire and rebuilt by Wren. It was then destroyed in the Blitz, and not rebuilt, which is why St Sepulchre is now used on St Matthew's Day. If you listen to one of the prewar Pathe newsreels, you'll hear the commentator mention Christ Church.

While the church itself has not been rebuilt, its tower has been, and is one of the best Wren towers. The former interior of the church is a garden, and very pleasant.

The Westminster Abbey thing in 1966 was entirely due to the relationship between the chaplain John Robson and the then Dean of Westminster Eric Abbott. The school of course leapt at this publicity opportunity. Abbott was a good man, but I found the way the school authorities fawned on him somewhat distasteful.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

You could also compare the Pathe Speech Day newsreel with this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbL0HxXmXog

I suppose they now march from East to West because the LM stands on the other side of the Avenue and they still do an Eyes Right.
Th.B. 27 1955-63