Old Blues Weekend (Wearing Full Housey)

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

sejintenej
Button Grecian

Re: Old Blues Weekend (Wearing Full Housey)

Post by sejintenej »

Health and Safety at Play.

No way would I accept anything other than the real thing like pinned bands, two wooden planks under the mattress, windswept and open Lav-ends (and in this equality age the idea of the ladies having a bath in those lav-ends as I shave ........ sheeesh!).

Trouble is that the school would never allow it - just imagine a (so-called) safety pin spearing an Adam's Apple as some old codger has a cardiac, or those two remaining boards collapsing under a 400 pound load or .......

As for the risk of the outcome of some twosome getting carried away in the bath.......... it was bad enough in the outside loos when there were no females around.
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Jo wrote:At some point during my time at Hertford the navy blue tunics became gym tunics only, and the greys started to be used for every day - with the same blouses and house ties already in everyday use. That was when the royal blue sacks and cherry red blazers <spit> were introduced for Sundays.

Aaarrgghhh, I'm confused: I remember the sacks and red blazers (I think that Mary Mc is wearing that combo in my uniform on the fire escape photograph), but don't remember the horror of wearing greys everyday. OMG, the sight of a larger than average pelvic girdle (mine) covered in those pleats was scarey even from my perspective.
Spoonbill
Deputy Grecian

Post by Spoonbill »

Well, this notion of a housey-wearing OB weekend is rather jolly. Obviously I wouldn't go along myself and ruin my magnificent three-decade record of never-having-been-back. But as a concept, an OB weekend in uniform is a corker.

But would the wardrobe have any houseycoats suitable for a gentleman of my lavishly-appointed dimensions, I ask myself? I don't recall any pupils who were my shape, even when they were 18. And heaven knows how many other OBs (male and female) would turn out to be too large to be shoe-horned into a coat and breeches. Maybe we could just spend all weekend in half-housey or simply wandering around in the nude.

I agree that not being able to sleep on plank beds or wash in arctic lav-ends would be abominable, as would being forced to use non-stinky soap. Being barred from riding bikes up and down the tube would be a downer too. But it'd be a hoot all the same, sitting around in that goddamn uniform and it'd certainly reinforce the old crug-brother concept. The media would love the story, old geezers in bizarre school uniforms. And there'd certainly be opportuntities to raise funds: pay extra to muck about in a chemistry lesson, pay extra to be caned, pay extra to have your head kicked in on a muddy rugby pitch etc.

But you'd not catch me there, obviously.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Spoonbill wrote: And there'd certainly be opportuntities to raise funds: pay extra to muck about in a chemistry lesson, pay extra to be caned, pay extra to have your head kicked in on a muddy rugby pitch etc.
Brilliant, Spoonbill, brilliant. And what about that "milking" thing you boys enjoyed? I bet somebody would be up for it.
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
Spoonbill
Deputy Grecian

Post by Spoonbill »

Indeed, that's another good reason why I wouldn't go back.

If, as Chrissie Boy suggests, participants might backtrack to a mental age of thirteen, I fear I would be set upon and vigorously 'milked' the moment I arrived, possibly even to death. A kevlar sports bra would make little difference, I suspect.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

With Chrissie-boy and Spoonbill on the same Topic ----- I forsee Trouble ! :shock:

The bed-planks only collapsed when cunningly adjusted, so to do !! :lol:
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:With Chrissie-boy and Spoonbill on the same Topic ----- I forsee Trouble ! :shock:

The bed-planks only collapsed when cunningly adjusted, so to do !! :lol:

......... but very easily achieved !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

Katharine wrote:
Does that mean that house ties in different colours went?
No - we wore them right up until the merger in 1985 (not in the summer though as we still had the striped summer dresses).
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
mvgrogan
Deputy Grecian

Post by mvgrogan »

I still have mine (house tie).... also my BA - I only got it at the last minute, so I wasn't going to let it go! :lol:
Maria Vatanen nee Grogan 6's (6:12) 81-85 BaB (BaB48) 85-87
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

What a gorgeous opportunity for cross-dressing! The girls could all wear full housey (so they would not feel second rate) while we males could appear in greys, Harris tweed coats, bloomers and gym slips.
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

DavebytheSea wrote:What a gorgeous opportunity for cross-dressing! The girls could all wear full housey (so they would not feel second rate) while we males could appear in greys, Harris tweed coats, bloomers and gym slips.
<<assumes gruff voice>> "Well, I went to an all-male boarding school, and it didn't do me any harm." :lol: :lol:
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

My Dear ! --- You havn't covered the Waterfront !! :lol:
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

er .......... ? the waterfront? ................................................... is that something anatomical?

../...... then covered it must be.
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

Ajarn Philip wrote:
DavebytheSea wrote:What a gorgeous opportunity for cross-dressing! The girls could all wear full housey (so they would not feel second rate) while we males could appear in greys, Harris tweed coats, bloomers and gym slips.
<<assumes gruff voice>> "Well, I went to an all-male boarding school, and it didn't do me any harm." :lol: :lol:
Now that is a good idea - how about the "uniform through the ages" Some could wear the today version, and then we could go back through the ages - cross dress if you really want to - but I warn you now, baggy navy blues and canary coloured ankle socks and a pale yellow games shirt is a definate turn off! (the blues themselves - oy Vay - I can't believe we used to march up the hill to games dressed in those only - it's a miracle non of us got abducted!) :oops: :P :( :shock: :roll:

Along with the planks we have to have the horsehair matressess, the tartan blankets, and the school nighties - ok - enough now I am feeling rather ill!
Jude Comber (nee Kelynack) 5's 5.38 1975-1980 Herts.
To Learn - read, to Know - write, to MASTER - Teach
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Jude ---- Nighties --- My life !!! :lol:

Jude remarked "Oy Vay " ---Explanation please for "Goyim " ! :?