Old Blues Weekend (Wearing Full Housey)

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Re: Old Blues Weekend (Wearing Full Housey)

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Thanks for the date of Old Blues Day,---- noted !
I assume that details will be notified, in the New Year

However, I shall keep my nipples, as ever, well shielded !!! :shock:
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Angela Woodford wrote:
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:I shudder to think what these activities may involve ! :oops:
It's no good, I can't find the original description. Spoonbill, help me out please! :wink:
Is this what you were after Angela?

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=626
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Andy, you are a true Forum expert. Thank you!

CHAZ and NEILL, now you know.

Pliers.....
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
CHAZ
Grecian

Post by CHAZ »

It comes back to me now...nasty thing and very painful.
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

I am so glad that this didn't exist when I was at CH (This avoids "In my time " !) we had a few happy activities, however.

Putting unpopular peoplr "Down the Bogs" was a favourite --- the victim inverted, legs in the air, and the Bog flushed !

You can see how much more civilised we were !! :lol:

PS. New Atavar, courtesy of J.Taylor, to whom I am grateful, -- including TBA, who features on these Fora, but cannot access, I'm relieved to say !
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

Thank you Neill for Avatar - it is good to be able to put faces to names!
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

Lovely avatar pic, Neill - and you don't look too bad either.
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Very nice, Neill.

I didn't realise they had cameras when DBTS had his taken !

:axe:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

it was a daguerrotype - just pre-photography in my youth, but none too bad a resemblance
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
Chrissie Boy
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Chrissie Boy »

Having just spotted the "What happens to ‘retired’ Housey coats?" thread on page 1 of the General Chat - CH Stuff forum, I thought I'd revive this thread. I continue to believe that holding periodic Old Blues' Weekends involving the wearing of full Housey is a thumping good idea and would prove a healthy moneyspinner. I'd certainly be up for it. Imagine it: hundreds of Old Blues wandering the school and its grounds, back in full or half Housey for the first time in years (or decades), eating in the Dining Hall or Court Room, sleeping in the houseblocks, drinking in the Grecians' Club or Common Room, bunking off Chapel, going into Horsham and boggling the minds of the locals, usw, usw. Surely I'm not the only OB here who thinks it'd be a real wheeze?

I mean, what's CH waiting for?
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Chrissie Boy wrote:Having just spotted the "What happens to ‘retired’ Housey coats?" thread on page 1 of the General Chat - CH Stuff forum, I thought I'd revive this thread. I continue to believe that holding periodic Old Blues' Weekends involving the wearing of full Housey is a thumping good idea and would prove a healthy moneyspinner. I'd certainly be up for it. Imagine it: hundreds of Old Blues wandering the school and its grounds, back in full or half Housey for the first time in years (or decades), eating in the Dining Hall or Court Room, sleeping in the houseblocks, drinking in the Grecians' Club or Common Room, bunking off Chapel, going into Horsham and boggling the minds of the locals, usw, usw. Surely I'm not the only OB here who thinks it'd be a real wheeze?

I mean, what's CH waiting for?
From a security point of view totally impracticable. What will the Horsham publicans do when someione in full uniform demands 2 Polish Spirit, a St James and four pints of Abbot!

As for your question the answer has to be something more practical
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Chrissie Boy
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Chrissie Boy »

sejintenej wrote: From a security point of view totally impracticable. What will the Horsham publicans do when someone in full uniform demands 2 Polish Spirit, a St James and four pints of Abbot!
You've lost me, Dave. Non comprendo. How is it impractical from a security point of view if it takes place when the CH pupils aren't around (which is the only way it could take place, I reckon)? Unless of course you're worried that the Old Blues might present a security risk to the bockas.

As for middle-aged CH boys ordering alcoholic beverages in Horsham pubs, why would there be a problem? I reckon the landlords'd be tickled pink. But I think it'd make sense for CH to ban us from going down the pub in Housey anyway, just in case we earned the school a bad name. Best to stick with the Common Room and Grecians' Club, so that when JR falls over insensible the general public won't cop an eyeful. You'd probably have to ban him from the sports centre too or he'd be doing bombs and bellyflops in the swimming pool whilst wearing his trunks on his head. One has to draw the line somewhere.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Chrissie Boy wrote:
sejintenej wrote: From a security point of view totally impracticable. What will the Horsham publicans do when someone in full uniform demands 2 Polish Spirit, a St James and four pints of Abbot!
You've lost me, Dave. Non comprendo. How is it impractical from a security point of view if it takes place when the CH pupils aren't around (which is the only way it could take place, I reckon)? Unless of course you're worried that the Old Blues might present a security risk to the bockas.
For a start, I see that you are into smoking - that would not be permitted
As for middle-aged CH boys ordering alcoholic beverages in Horsham pubs, why would there be a problem? I reckon the landlords'd be tickled pink. But I think it'd make sense for CH to ban us from going down the pub in Housey anyway,
You omitted the non-uniform part. How many are you thinking would invade a pub at a time? Would it be one of the pubs that CH avtually "arranged" for pupils to visit (in CCF uniform at that?
Best to stick with the Common Room and Grecians' Club, so that when JR falls over insensible the general public won't cop an eyeful. You'd probably have to ban him from the sports centre too or he'd be doing bombs and bellyflops in the swimming pool whilst wearing his trunks on his head. One has to draw the line somewhere.
and what's wrong with bombs? Remember that it was CH that taught some of us how to deal with a Hydrogen Bomb explosion. I don't know about JR's afterburners but after the training tunnels under the Horsham Fire Brigade Headquarters that should be no problem - the wash from the bellyflop shoulds put it out.

Who, at the schoool, is going to organise all this. As I recall school premises are subject to strict security concerns and visitors have to be overseen; when an organisation applied for a permit for me their rules were against it because I don't have a birth certificate and an adoption certificate is a no-no.

New uniforms or gravy encrusted old coats? Proper bands with pins designed to skewr the larynx or softie new ones? a thousand questions to go.

After that I wouldn't be surprised if, like many schools, the houses are let out for summer schools.
ecokestove
2nd Former

Post by ecokestove »

'... softie new ones...' Please don't tell me they have dumbed down bands. Next thing is you'll be telling me they wear proper underpants!
Steve Cooke
Prep B, 1955-1957
Maine B, 1957-1962

Girdle generally worn low.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

ecokestove wrote:'... softie new ones...' Please don't tell me they have dumbed down bands. Next thing is you'll be telling me they wear proper underpants!
Apparently they fudge their bands as we were punished for. As for underpants - you keep yours to yourself and I'll keep mine to me. One boy tried that on me - and regretted it.