Master Plan - What are Almoners trying to achieve?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

eloisec
Deputy Grecian

Post by eloisec »

from http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/re ... TAL&SubID=
I got the following Trustee list ... is this the same as the Almoners? Does anyone have a list of ALmoners?

PROFESSOR ALAN RYAN MA FBA
MR DAVID BREWER CMG
MRS CAROL ANNE STEVENS BSC MPHILL
MR CHRISTOPHER BRUCE-JONES FCIB
MR DAVID FARRINGTON LI B F C I
MR PETER BLOOMFIELD FCMI
SIR RICHARD NICHOLS DCL
PROFESSOR LEWIS WOLPERT CBE FRS
MR DAVID ARNOLD M A
ALDERMAN JOHN HUGHESDON F C A F R S A
MR DAVID GAWTREE CB DL BSC
MRS ELANOR STANIER BSC
MR IAN BENNETT FLANAGAN FRICS
PROFESSOR LANCE LANYON CBE MRCVS PHD OSC
MISS MOYNA PATRICIA GILBERTSONOBE FCSP M
MR PETER FARNFIELD BSC FRICS
MR PHILLIP WILLOUGBY
DR SUSAN LINTOTT MA
LADY WENOY STONE MA CANTAB
MR DONALD PAYNE BSC FCII
Eloise Carpenter
Col.A 87-94
Concerned
2nd Former

Post by Concerned »

Further information published in topic Sale of Queen Anne's Gate
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

I found the original "Housey! Special" the other day, and have photo'd the pages, which can be found here for anyone who didn't see it - gives a good impression and a few pictures of what was intended with the Master Plan..
(broadband is probably needed, as pictures had to be quite big to be readable - click on some of the images for bigger versions)

Click here:-
Housey! SPECIAL - THE NEW MASTER PLAN
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Looks like little of that plan will now be carried out...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

At least one of the Charity Trustees listed has professional contacts with property companies and businesses.

That could well be mere coincidence. I am in no position to comment whether it is or not.

However have those closer to this matter, Spiderlegs for example, considered this aspect?
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

In this week's West Sussex County Times.......

http://www.horshamonline.co.uk/ViewArti ... ID=1039179

This is only a resume of the story - if I get time today I'll try to post more. I don't have a scanner so I'll have to do some typing :(
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I know the school is short of money, but isn't this akin to selling your soul?

Also, I thought that land was rejected due to contamination and that part of the land is susceptible to flooding...
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

So which bit/scope of land it being offered out?
See map below - if someone can describe it, I'll mark it out on the map....

Is it between the sewage "Wks" and the Downs Link old railway line, or does it include up to the Peele Bridge road and all of that bit?

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

From what I can remember, it's from the Peele bridge Road pretty much up to where it says wks...

Also the field where it says downs link but I'm sure someone would correct me if I'm wrong...
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

OK, here's the full article from the front page of the West Sussex County Times of May 27th.

Christ’s Hospital ‘new town’ fears.

FIVE years after the Weald Vale Association (WVA) successfully fought off plans to build 3,800 homes at Christ's Hospital the group has claimed land there is being 'aggressively' promoted as a good location for a new 'dormitory town'.

WVA campaigners were among those who in 2000 opposed Horsham District Council's west of Horsham plans to build thousands of homes on green fields between Broadbridge Heath and Christ's Hospital. The scheme was later withdrawn.

But a recent Christ's Hospital governors' newsletter states that the Council of Almoners has decided to 'raise the profile of Christ's Hospital's land to the west of the railway station as a site for potential development in the event that further housing is required'.

It is added that objections would continue to any proposals for a new station in Horsham which could threaten the Christ’s Hospital station and would oppose any substantial development in Southwater, believing it to be a less sustainable location than the Christ’s Hospital land which is close to a railway station.

“We have been keeping an eye on their position and found out about their strategy immediately,â€
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
spiderlegs
3rd Former

Christ’s Hospital ‘new town’ fears.

Post by spiderlegs »

To reply (finally) to Mid A 15's comment of 'At least one of the Charity Trustees listed has professional contacts with property companies and businesses.'
If you look at previous Almoners you'll find a few other connections to large property developers. One or two, I believe, who have carried out major building projects at the school. Obviously this area is extremely sensitive in terms of being sued (Oh, brave Sir Robin...)
I elaborate very loosely within the entry 'Masterplan - how are the building contracts awarded?' which outlines that the awarding of the Sports Centre contract is now being looked at by the Charities Commission.
It's very dense stuff, but a bit more can also be gleaned from the Ridley Society web site.