"Highway" at CH

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

AKAP
Grecian

"Highway" at CH

Post by AKAP »

I notice that someone has managed to post the above TV programme from 1989 onto youtube. It is in 3 parts, I thought some of you might like to see it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4_iaZ51Bos
Katharine
Button Grecian

Re: "Highway" at CH

Post by Katharine »

Thanks - I have just had an enjoyable half hour! I can't say nostalgic as I wasn't at Horsham. I have said before that The Charge was left out of my leaving Bible so I think that is the first time I have seen it in one.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

You may not be aware that in the showband sequence the solo trumpeter was Rick Slater, who not long afterwards died on the railway line near the school, plunging the whole school into a state of shock. I have always hoped that his family had a recording of this programme.
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
LongGone
Deputy Grecian

Post by LongGone »

While the posted sequences are probably edited, while the arts and chapel received a lot of time, I was disappointed to see no mention of the sciences. In my time (50s) CH was regarded as one of the most innovative and effective schools for teaching science. I would be sorry to hear that this is no longer the case
If a stone falls on an egg: alas for the egg
If an egg falls on a stone: alas for the egg
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

As a complaint was made about the content of a post made at 4:06: Monday 22nd. Feb 2010 by Wicked Uncle Jasper, I have deleted the post and informed the poster.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Wicked Uncle Jasper
2nd Former

Post by Wicked Uncle Jasper »

The content of my post was entirely true.

Its presence on this forum did no harm to anyone.

The person who complained must be wet beyond salvation.

This web community is evidently either a police state or else the moderators are just too timid to stand up to wets.

I stand by my post.
Requested Removal 18
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Requested Removal 18 »

Have to admit to being a bit disappointed when Sir Harry Secombe came to CH to do Highway. He was at the time a patron of the British Diabetic Association (now Diabetes UK) and I was quite a fan of his. As a diabetic I asked to meet him and was pretty much given "the brush-off". I'm assuming that this was down to the better "judgement" of the staff who couldn't see past Sir Harry's celebrity status as I'm sure if he'd had the time he'd have been happy to break his hectic schedule for a quick chat! :cry: :lol:
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

Wicked Uncle Jasper wrote:The content of my post was entirely true.

This web community is evidently either a police state or else the moderators are just too timid to stand up to wets.

I stand by my post.
I'd forgotten what the post was about until WUJ just reminded us, but I couldn't remember having seen anything offensive. It seems a funny thing to complain about. :roll:
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

Wicked Uncle Jasper wrote:The content of my post was entirely true.

I stand by my post.

I know J.Rs shoulders are broad and he is well able to give the appropriate value to these comments but I would like to say that I support the decision he made.
The moderator's do an excellent job on this forum in ensuring it is an interesting exchange of views and opinions mixed with anecdotes. I look in most days to catch up. Thankyou.
( I also support the forum member who made the complaint).
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

I note that the "Wicked Uncle Jasper" is standing by his post -----

This is, normally preparatory to being blindfolded,---- before the order "Load Aim ----" :lol:

I, also, am, at times, a bit naughty, I expect retribution at the 60+ re-union ! :oops:
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I'm quite happy to justify my action.

Yes, I do have broad shoulders and Yes, I do have a wicked sense of humour. (it's compulsory in the football world,), but even I find it offensive to mock or abuse the deceased.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Chrissie Boy
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Chrissie Boy »

Do we know that Uncle Jasper was mocking the deceased? After all, it's not as if schoolkids don't do things like putting dog-poo in people's pockets.

Maybe the reason Harry Secombe wasn't available to chat with Tommy about his diabetes was that he was too busy clearing the dog-poo out of his pockets.

I find it hard to see why someone would complain about a topic such as this on this forum whilst not complaining about soggy biscuits and helicopters.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

I have to tell you that, in the days of comparative innocence, we knew nothing of "Helicopters" and "Soggy biscuits" and I still don't ! ---- I imagine that neither will be a subject of conversation at the forthcoming 60+ Re-union !!! :oops: :oops:
(One for each subject )
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Chrissie Boy wrote: After all, it's not as if schoolkids don't do things like putting dog-poo in people's pockets.

Maybe the reason Harry Secombe wasn't available to chat with Tommy about his diabetes was that he was too busy clearing the dog-poo out of his pockets.

I find it hard to see why someone would complain about a topic such as this on this forum whilst not complaining about soggy biscuits and helicopters.
Never, never have I encountered a schoolchild who has been horrible enough to put dog poo in anyone's pockets - and my children went to a Kent comprehensive where life could be tough.

The Biscuit Game and Helicopters, I respectfully suggest, is sexual experimentation in an all-male celibate boarding environment. Is it better than than teen experimentation in the real world? Or better than sanctioned condom supply in today's CH?

I don't know.
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Angela Woodford wrote:
Never, never have I encountered a schoolchild who has been horrible enough to put dog poo in anyone's pockets -
Nor I.

It is more the behaviour I have heard laughed about by drunken medical students post rugby tours.

I add that if I so much as suspected that either of my children had done such a thing I would be mortified.
Caroline Payne (nee Barrett)
Hertford 6.20 1965-70

Adelaide, dear Adelaide; where the water is foul, but the wines more than make up for it.