Expelled

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

gneuss
2nd Former

Re: Expelled

Post by gneuss »

John asked
Just for my education, is there a difference between expelled and excluded?
I used to be the Chair of Governors of a comprehensive school and had to deal with this quite a lot. Exclusion can either be fixed-term exclusion in which case it is also known as suspension or it can be permanent exclusion which does means expelled. A student who has been permanently excluded can only be reinstated by the Governing Body. A student who has been given a fixed-term exclusion can return to the school once the period of time has passed.
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

Thanks Geoff.
My sister's grandson has been excluded but I was unclear what it involved.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

In amplificaion of selintenenj
"That sounds fun. No Uncle's one was more like this - an M20: http://modernfirearms.net/userfiles/ima ... 229055.jpg"

That is much more likely. Even the British Army would be hard pushed to lose a MOBAT, which was quite large and mounted on two wheels. In British Service the M20 weapon shown here was known as the "3.5inch Recoilles Rocket Launcher" which was abbreviated, somewhat improbably, to "3.5RCL" I actually fired one, but as my eyes were closed at the moment of launch it hit the target absolutely perfectly -if my eyes had been open I would have missed by a mile!

David :shock:
Pe.A
Deputy Grecian

Post by Pe.A »

rockfreak wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:17 pm Yes I've come to the same conclusion JR. Listening to my kids and their friends way back when (and even allowing for a bit of bragging) I got the impression that 14 seemed to be a typical age for some kind of serious sexual involvement. Fascinating how different societies see these things. In our day Jerry Lee Lewis got castigated for marrying his 13-year old cousin. Yet it must have been legit in Tennessee back then. I've since seen Myra Gail Lewis talking about their long-ago marriage and she still seems to have a residual affection for him, considerating what a wild man he was.
Someone mentioned Bill Wyman and the worldly Mandy Smith earlier. Was the reason this was not prosecuted because she didn't put in a complaint about him? I suppose the police have the problem of getting someone into the witness box to agree to testify under oath. Maybe JR or richardb can enlighten us.
and Bill Wyman was a Rolling Stone. Who'd grass up a Rolling Stone...?! Or any other rockstar from the 60s/70s...?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

With regard to the previous post and Freaky's question, which I must have missed before, ANYBODY can be summoned to give evidence in court, so they must attend. If they refuse to answer questions or give evidence, they would be guilty of 'Contempt of Court'.

Just as a point of interest re Bill Wyman, I lived opposite his sister for years and saw him visiting on many occasions. Always a cheerful wave and smile, if I was cutting the front lawn !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

Quite a few eminent people have quit their boarding schools or been expelled. David Cornwell (aka John le Carre) ran away from his school (I think during or just after the war) hoping that a new Labour government would abolish them and that we'd have a one-tier system just like other countries. In some respects it's a sort of badge of honour, isn't it? I suppose that most people knuckle down and glumly conform because they know how much their parents' hopes are riding on it. If I'd thought that I could get out and still get a decent job after leaving, and not have my parents moaning about it ever after, I'd have said "Sod you, you daft old Welsh bible-basher" to my housemaster, and hang the consequences. But at that age you don't. Maybe I just wasn't bold enough. Hats off to those who manage it.

By the way, I've recently discovered that Shane McGowan went to Westminster School (old boys Kim Philby and Peter and Gordon) but kicked out after a couple of years for drugs How many people knew this? Who are Peter and Gordon? Harmony pop hits in the 1960s and Peter Asher (brother of Jane) went on to produce Linda Ronstadt and James Taylor.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

So I think the point is, Freaky, take what you're given and make the most of it.

You to the left and me to the right.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

You can better make the most of it with a school like CH where, on a recent thread, they were encouraging leavers to link up with Old Blues who might be able to help them. Or a thread on the CHOBA site where they were advertising a jobs fair in the City - presumably so that leavers with some degree of numeracy but few brains could go and train to become investment bankers and tank our economy again a few years down the line. I doubt whether Balls Pond Road Comprie has these connections.
It always suits the right wing to tell us that we have choices. The more money you have the better the choices available to you is my experience. Why do other developed European countries not have our system?
time please
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by time please »

I was asked to leave or suggested to leave by Newsome. My life started !!!
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

rockfreak wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:34 pm You can better make the most of it with a school like CH where, on a recent thread, they were encouraging leavers to link up with Old Blues who might be able to help them. Or a thread on the CHOBA site where they were advertising a jobs fair in the City - presumably so that leavers with some degree of numeracy but few brains could go and train to become investment bankers and tank our economy again a few years down the line. I doubt whether Balls Pond Road Comprie has these connections.
It always suits the right wing to tell us that we have choices. The more money you have the better the choices available to you is my experience. Why do other developed European countries not have our system?
And why the h*** should not they advertise for OBs to help those just leaving the school and have little real knowledge of the outside world of work? With all the education CH pumped into me I knew absolutely nothing about the outside world and how it works. Investment work (and worse, dealing) is a dangerous occupation which I would never recommend to the innocent - I have neighbours who were on prescription drugs at 35, unable to do anything at 40. Does Rockfreak really know what investment work really is because the press clearly has no idea? I have worked with those people in two nations and it is a brain destroyer but fortunately I was able to remain on the outskirts - I only did 36 hour "days". The benefit has been that my savings are growing nicely (I learned HOW to invest) because I learned early on that I don't need a 42" TV simply because my neighbour has a 40" TV or because the media proposes the best thing since sliced bread (simple rule - if a share is recommended a) don't buy it then but wait and b) check it out thoroughly)

Starting over: Your thread is bovine effluent! Giving every perp a rolls Royce and mansion costs money (surprisingly!). It is fine for labour to give out largesse with apparently no limit BUT they have to borrow to do so and borrowing costs money in interest which means there is less for the hoi polloi and politicians. It got so bad that when Labour lost the last election the incoming party found there was no money left. Labour also promised all sorts of things and stated that they had found the funds - with the next promise they diverted the last promised funds so the earlier promise went unfulfilled.

OTOH the present shower are reducing the borowing so that there is less interest to pay and therefore there are more funds left for the poor; something labour are too badly educated to understand.

As for the second paragraph it is a case of the grass is greener on the other side of the fence. It just ain't so. I have lived in one, I have stayed in another (on both sides of their internal border) and am just back from another. I suggest that he goes there, speaks the lingo, spends time in the local bars and he will find that it is not so green even though people in the last one was surprisingly happy.

Please note my sig - I put it up eons ago but it fits!
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!