Expelled

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Bishbashbosh
3rd Former

Re: Expelled

Post by Bishbashbosh »

After looking at the map it *could* have been Sharpenhurst or Rye farms. It was definitely across the railway line as I distinctly remember crossing it en route.

I also remember the first part of the route being the same as if you headed to Southwater (as we had to get an exeat to go there), but at some point your turned right. Beyond that, I'm afraid I don't remember. It's 30ish years ago now!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Scazza wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:32 pm Just before the barn fire (which I didn't know about) there was a big drugs story in the papers about CH. Maybe '88 or '89. I think maybe 6-7 were expelled instantly for smoking pot..... despite alcohol being widely tolerated and far more deadly for 14-15yr olds.

No idea how it got in the papers before the school knew. Maybe a pupil blabbed to a busy parent.
More likely blabbed it to the press.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

The barn was adjacent to the reservoir on the top of sharpenhurst - its concrete base was still there in the 90s...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Bishbashbosh
3rd Former

Post by Bishbashbosh »

I remember there being a somewhat dilapidated farmhouse with a well outside too. The well was covered but still held water.
wagenman
3rd Former

Post by wagenman »

Scazza wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:32 pm Just before the barn fire (which I didn't know about) there was a big drugs story in the papers about CH. Maybe '88 or '89. I think maybe 6-7 were expelled instantly for smoking pot..... despite alcohol being widely tolerated and far more deadly for 14-15yr olds.

No idea how it got in the papers before the school knew. Maybe a pupil blabbed to a busy parent.
89 i believe, just after i left. I beleive the supply came from a recently departed pupil.

It's weird though who got chopped and who didn't. Richard Hadley was expelled for being a weapons grade bell-end, whereas my brother, using similar tactics, was essentially saved from expulsion by Hammer, who felt it was a bigger punishment to make him stay than to kick him out.

I got caught doing all sorts of things that should have seen me at least receiving a few suspensions but on all occasions was lucky to be caught by benevolent staff who really couldn't be bothered with the hassle.

There was also one girl during my time who left after falling pregnant to a much older pupil. If i remember rightly both parties left at the same time but only one left because they were due to anyway.
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

there was a drugs story in 87 ? as well an ex pupil who was at uni in London saw a pupil purchasing from a known dealer in ULU day and reported it to school. There was a raid and a quantity of blow plus a couple of tabs of acid were found in a study, everyone who had had any involvement was asked to own up, about 50% of a boys house admitted to having had the odd puff and all were sent home a few days early for half term, at that point no-one else admitted anything. I think it was the owners of the study plus a girlfriend who were expelled.

I am pretty sure t was still when Hansford was in charge - i definitely remember a full senior school lecture in big school where the head suggested they were sure all with any involvement had been identified and everyone present tried not to snigger
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Post a comment to the above ?

Hmm - maybe not other than to say I'm now not surprised to see why The School went downhill rapidly.
Scazza
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by Scazza »

wagenman wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:16 pm

89 i believe, just after i left. I beleive the supply came from a recently departed pupil.

It's weird though who got chopped and who didn't. Richard Hadley was expelled for being a weapons grade bell-end, whereas my brother, using similar tactics, was essentially saved from expulsion by Hammer, who felt it was a bigger punishment to make him stay than to kick him out.

I got caught doing all sorts of things that should have seen me at least receiving a few suspensions but on all occasions was lucky to be caught by benevolent staff who really couldn't be bothered with the hassle.

There was also one girl during my time who left after falling pregnant to a much older pupil. If i remember rightly both parties left at the same time but only one left because they were due to anyway.
I thought it may have been some Thorn A lads so Hammer would make sense. Tough as boots and grumpy but he cared for his pupils more than many other staff.

I also remember a girl (13?) with a much older boyfriend and everyone knew they had sex. Literally everyone - I was in a different year and house and knew! Thought it ended with expulsion.

A bit weird to go co-ed and think bright 6th dormers won't form sexual relationships. Bromine in the yea doesnt work on girls! It was a real no-no though. Probably only because it interfered with studies.
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

At the risk of seeming flippant on a serious thread, I must comment on: "Bromine in the tea doesn't work on girls! "
Ah, the good old bromide myth ((not bromine, by the way) has been around for over a century and it is truly remarkable that it still keeps going. It originated in the trenches in World War as an attempt to explain why the troops did not 'feel the urge' - which was much more porbably due to the fact that they were physically exhausted. It had- and has - no basis in fact, but has continued down the years.
David :shock:
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Bromine/Bromide in tea was the rumour in my all boys day at CH. I have since been told that it's use is pointless and more likely to cause physical harm.

At the risk of offending the Mary Whitehouse brigade amongst us, sexual relations between 13 to 16 year olds these days is normal. Illegal but normal. (I do have adult conversations with my Grandchildren.) Personally, I don't have a problem with that as long as the parties involved are sensible and know the consequences.

From what I have learnt from my Grandchildren, sex education in schools today is good and comprehensive, and helpful. (Yes - We do have two beautiful Great Grand Daughters, so Jan and I after many years must have been doing something right !)
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

Yes I've come to the same conclusion JR. Listening to my kids and their friends way back when (and even allowing for a bit of bragging) I got the impression that 14 seemed to be a typical age for some kind of serious sexual involvement. Fascinating how different societies see these things. In our day Jerry Lee Lewis got castigated for marrying his 13-year old cousin. Yet it must have been legit in Tennessee back then. I've since seen Myra Gail Lewis talking about their long-ago marriage and she still seems to have a residual affection for him, considerating what a wild man he was.
Someone mentioned Bill Wyman and the worldly Mandy Smith earlier. Was the reason this was not prosecuted because she didn't put in a complaint about him? I suppose the police have the problem of getting someone into the witness box to agree to testify under oath. Maybe JR or richardb can enlighten us.
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

rockfreak wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:17 pm Yes I've come to the same conclusion JR. Listening to my kids and their friends way back when (and even allowing for a bit of bragging) I got the impression that 14 seemed to be a typical age for some kind of serious sexual involvement. Fascinating how different societies see these things. In our day Jerry Lee Lewis got castigated for marrying his 13-year old cousin. Yet it must have been legit in Tennessee back then. I've since seen Myra Gail Lewis talking about their long-ago marriage and she still seems to have a residual affection for him, considerating what a wild man he was.
Someone mentioned Bill Wyman and the worldly Mandy Smith earlier. Was the reason this was not prosecuted because she didn't put in a complaint about him? I suppose the police have the problem of getting someone into the witness box to agree to testify under oath. Maybe JR or richardb can enlighten us.
Its likely there was no complaint.

I seem to recall her mother was very pushy and used it to kick start her daughter's modelling career.
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

Back on thread. In my day when people were expelled they were sent straight to the Sicker from their houses after being given the grim (or welcome) news, before being sent home. This always struck me as being a bit like spending your last night in the condemned cell next to the gallows before being topped in the morning. "You will be taken to the place of Dr Thomas Scott and thence to the place of execution where you will be hanged by the neck until you be dead."
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

rockfreak wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:17 pm Yes I've come to the same conclusion JR. Listening to my kids and their friends way back when (and even allowing for a bit of bragging) I got the impression that 14 seemed to be a typical age for some kind of serious sexual involvement. Fascinating how different societies see these things. In our day Jerry Lee Lewis got castigated for marrying his 13-year old cousin. Yet it must have been legit in Tennessee back then. I've since seen Myra Gail Lewis talking about their long-ago marriage and she still seems to have a residual affection for him, considerating what a wild man he was.
Apparently he (after Saville blew up) contacted the Police himself ans said he took it they would want to speak to him and they declined - not sure if that was just newspaper stories or reality though. As an aside Mrs Wurzel was at school with Jade Jagger and her,Mandy and that whole set (not my wife's friends) made CH look like a teetotal abstaining convent in comparison. At the time the whole "Gatecrasher Ball" thing was going on but I dont think any or many Blues were invited as we were not in the right social set

Edit : - here is a link to telegraph article re Wyman/Smith and approach to CPS - https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/mus ... laims.html

I now have a 16yo daughter who at least currently seems more interested in her rugby and studies than boys (or girls)
Last edited by wurzel on Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

rockfreak wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:28 pm Back on thread. In my day when people were expelled they were sent straight to the Sicker from their houses after being given the grim (or welcome) news, before being sent home. This always struck me as being a bit like spending your last night in the condemned cell next to the gallows before being topped in the morning. "You will be taken to the place of Dr Thomas Scott and thence to the place of execution where you will be hanged by the neck until you be dead."
I never knew that about the Sicker, Freaky.
Definitely not unlike the death sentence.

"You will be taken from here to from whence you came, and from there to a place of legal execution where you.will....""

Why the Sicker though ? I can only assume you were out of the way and could'nt communicate with anyone.

Who collected up all your amassed personal property ?